Game of the year?

Moose Milligan

20 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think it’s the game of the year for a few reasons:

While it’s not a game against the Yankees or a game in our division, it’s still a very formidable opponent that is always tough for us.  It was a playoff type atmosphere, as close as you can probably get to that type of feeling in mid-August. We did it in their house and I don’t care what anyone says, flying across country from east to west isn’t optimal. We did it the night after we got thrashed. That’s one thing I’ve always appreciated about Hyde’s teams, they can get their brains beat in one night and come back the next day like nothing happened. 

Irvin stepped up and delivered an immense performance, he was matching Kirby inning for inning.  And I know we’ve been shut out this season but I think that was easily the best pitching performance against us by an opponent.  Our bullpen was nails through middle innings until the end, capping it with a vintage Felix performance.  

The defense was air tight.  The much maligned Mateo made an outstanding play, doing the jump throw from the hole. Cano made a great play off the mound.  Gunnar kept the tag on that runner to secure that out at second base on the steal attempt.

As gratifying as a walkoff against the Yankees or hanging 14 on them?  Maybe not.  But the Yankees are pretty pathetic this year, they haven’t been a threat for awhile now and they’re all but officially eliminated from a playoff berth.  They’re sleepwalking to the end of the season.  The Mariners are the hottest team in the game right now. 

So those are my reasons I’ve got it as the game of the year so far.  

Great summation!  I only watched the highlights and read the box score but you hit all of the wonderful action.  This team can grind.  Your points on both Mateo and Henderson’s tag were especially poignant.  Either player could easily be down but came through.  And Cole Irvin - wow!

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I have never heard anyone affiliated with the Orioles refer to Bautista as "King Felix".   

What a bunch of over sensitive grumblers.

Brown did do it but I agree it was not intended to disrespect and to heckle a professional player who had nothing to do with the comment was completely off base and inappropriate.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

https://x.com/optastats/status/1690600725317840896?s=46&t=G3On-_LleGmZce-r3ClVZA

btw, why don’t the X posts embed like Twitter did? I used to just post and the tweet would come up. These aren’t doing that now?

Guessing the forum platform hasn't been coded to auto recognize posts in the x.com domain. Just another thing that Elon broke for no reason...

46 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

First of all, George Kirby is so good.

Secondly, I’m glad the demise of Bautista was greatly exaggerated. I thought his career might be over after the Houston series. Good thing he bounced back.

Yes.  This.  Kirby will shortly be one of the Top 5 if not Top 3 dominant pitchers in MLB.   Not only does he have the stuff but has the right amount of well channeled competitive fire.  Hope GROD was paying attention.   If the Os get that level of pitching over the next few years this team could be fearsome. 

24 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I have never heard anyone affiliated with the Orioles refer to Bautista as "King Felix".   

What a bunch of over sensitive grumblers.

The Real King Felix went in there on King Felix day a dominated. Shook his house of horrors past from the ASG. There’s a new King Felix. 

39 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I would go with most improbable on paper or something like that. Irvin taking down Kirby was definitely a massive coup and fun to watch.

Irvin was great, but let’s not get it twisted, by no means did he take down Kirby. But that’s one of the things that makes baseball so great.

I wanna shout out the home plate ump, he was remarkably consistent all night, only missed a few calls and they seemed to go against the M’s!

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

First of all, George Kirby is so good.

Secondly, I’m glad the demise of Bautista was greatly exaggerated. I thought his career might be over after the Houston series. Good thing he bounced back.

You would think by how some fans on Facebook/Twitter react. Bautista was always going to be fine. Fans have to realize how special is it has been when he's completely dominant like he was for most of this year. Like any pitcher/player, they are going to have "slumps" so a few games where he didn't have his command was not a big deal. 

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

“This message was approved by the John P. Angelos for Dictator Committee.”

btw did he publicly apologize for the "misunderstanding" yet?  Not a good look anytime but in this day and age my tolerance for the elite scum that rule the world monetarily is in short supply.  Guess he doesn't feel that we (put your favorite derogatory name here) need any explanation, excuse, or even a little sincerity.  At least Daddy had the Napoleon complex excuse.  embarrassing

I was with someone who doesn't know baseball that well. She was utterly enthralled and captivated by the drama of this particular game...the play by Mateo, the tag by Gunnar, the steal by Mullins, the inning by inning pitching match with Kirby....it was like a game of chess she said. I believe she became a baseball fan last night...and though we live in Los Angeles, she is an Oriole fan now too...just a thrilling game that may have been scoreless through 9...but not without  a edge of you seat action and electricity...Man, I love Oriole baseball.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Brown did do it but I agree it was not intended to disrespect and to heckle a professional player who had nothing to do with the comment was completely off base and inappropriate.

It was just supposed to be a fun game ending remark.  Felix closed out the game back in June and Brown said something like “there’s a new King Felix in town!”  Nobody’s trying to take the “King Felix” moniker from Felix H.  Our guy has his own nickname and it’s an awesome one.  Kind of ridiculous that anyone is making a big deal about it.