So Who Gets DFAed for Wiggy?

Anonymous

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ideally, you trade Huff and maybe Reimold for prospects you don't have to roster.

And since they haven't rostered Wig. yet, I wonder if something isn't in the works or at least being explored.

Reimold has very little trade value now. Hopefully he has a great year at Norfolk and that changes.

From what we heard about Huff last season, his trade value was pretty darn weak as well. So unless things have radically changed since then, we probably can't get equal value back for him right now. Maybe that changes if a contender has a need at the deadline this year. But I'm thinking that this is a classic case of needing to wait the year out and offering arb. The two picks we'd probably get for him would be great; and if he takes the tender offer, it's not a calamity.

Reimold has very little trade value now. Hopefully he has a great year at Norfolk and that changes.

From what we heard about Huff last season, his trade value was pretty darn weak as well.

I keep hearing that Huff didn't draw much interest, but what were the circumstances? Did we really get into negotiations with somebody or just casually let it be known that he was available? In other words, were we aggressively trying to move him? Did we perhaps demand that the other team pay all of his salary? Did we ask too much in return in the way of players? The answers to those questions go a long way in determining just how valuable he is.

This guy hit 32 HR and drove in 108 runs last year. That ain't chopped liver. There are teams that could use that bat.

If he has another year like that and walks as a Type A FA, great. We'd get the draft picks. But what if he comes to camp out of shape and has a year like he had in 2006-7? Then what? Will he fetch us those draft picks then? Will he get us that much at the Deadline if he's sitting on .271, 8 HR and 32 RBI after 96 games? Probably not.

And one more thing. With the clutter of players we have to get in the games now, will Huff get the at-bats needed to roll up those "A" free agent numbers?

I'd rather not gamble. His value is at its peak right now as we speak.If I'm MacPhail, I'm burning up the phones today. We have the people to replace Huff, now, anyway.

As for Reimold you may be right. But I'd at least see if there is interest. You mite find someone with extra bodies in the infield positions or maybe with people who are running out of options. The O's have 2 or 3 infield spots potentially opening up after this year. It seems to me that there are a lot of minor league players out there who could meet our needs.And maybe Reimold would look pretty good to a team with a system that's barren of outfield prospects.

I keep hearing that Huff didn't draw much interest, but what were the circumstances? Did we really get into negotiations with somebody or just casually let it be known that he was available? In other words, were we aggressively trying to move him? Did we perhaps demand that the other team pay all of his salary? Did we ask too much in return in the way of players? The answers to those questions go a long way in determining just how valuable he is.

This guy hit 32 HR and drove in 108 runs last year. That ain't chopped liver. There are teams that could use that bat.

If he has another year like that and walks as a Type A FA, great. We'd get the draft picks. But what if he comes to camp out of shape and has a year like he had in 2006-7? Then what? Will he fetch us those draft picks then? Will he get us that much at the Deadline if he's sitting on .271, 8 HR and 32 RBI after 96 games? Probably not.

And one more thing. With the clutter of players we have to get in the games now, will Huff get the at-bats needed to roll up those "A" free agent numbers?

I'd rather not gamble. His value is at its peak right now as we speak.If I'm MacPhail, I'm burning up the phones today. We have the people to replace Huff, now, anyway.

As for Reimold you may be right. But I'd at least see if there is interest. You mite find someone with extra bodies in the infield positions or maybe with people who are running out of options. The O's have 2 or 3 infield spots potentially opening up after this year. It seems to me that there are a lot of minor league players out there who could meet our needs.And maybe Reimold would look pretty good to a team with a system that's barren of outfield prospects.

I agree with you completely, Mike, that Andy should be aggressive in seeking offers for these guys if he deems it practical. For example, if he pretty much knows that Reimold's value is way low, then there's no need to tick off his counterparts by pushing unwanted goods continually. I also trust Andy to understand when the timing is optimal. If he's not pulling the trigger now, I assume it's not because he forgot to or, as some of our OTHER posters might say (not you), that he was lazy.

Huff in 2008, the year he wasn't chop liver cleared on revocable waivers before the August 31st trading deadline. That is all a team had to was pay $20k for a waiver claim. There was no interest, thus there was need to discuss anything.

Huff in 2008, the year he wasn't chop liver cleared on revocable waivers before the August 31st trading deadline. That is all a team had to was pay $20k for a waiver claim. There was no interest, thus there was need to discuss anything.

We never really know what the interest is any player, or if the return on any player is worth trading for. The Orioles should sign Aubrey Huff to an extension. He can help @ 1B, 3B, DH, and is an offensive LH power threat. Combine all of that, and Huff has more value than David Ortiz. Extend Huff, don't trade him...Go O's!!!

From Roch:

Fact: Ty Wigginton was in Baltimore on Thursday to take his physical after agreeing to a two-year deal.

Fiction: He's done taking his physical.

Wigginton is returning to Baltimore to complete his tests. An announcement of his signing is more likely to come toward the end of this week.

Hmmm....sounds to me as if they are trying to make a move to avoid having to DFA someone.

I doubt they'd make Wigginton go through a multi day physical just to delay a roster move. Something must be concerning regarding his physical results so they are putting him through more tests...

Sounds to me as if he may have been missing a foot or something...and they sent him back home to look for it.

You know...I heard that Ty was missing a foot! ;)

He's probably worn out from phase 1 of the Angelos Alien Confiscation Physical, and wanted to finish it later. :mwahaha:

Archived