So Who Gets DFAed for Wiggy?

Anonymous

I keep hearing that Huff didn't draw much interest, but what were the circumstances? Did we really get into negotiations with somebody or just casually let it be known that he was available? In other words, were we aggressively trying to move him? Did we perhaps demand that the other team pay all of his salary? Did we ask too much in return in the way of players? The answers to those questions go a long way in determining just how valuable he is.
Here's all you need to know:

When they tried to pass him through waivers in August, they did, because nobody claimed him. Nobody would take him even for free. Obviously we would have pulled him back if he was claimed, but nobody was interested enough in him to even both putting in a claim. Additionally, nobody was worried enough about him going elsewhere that they would put a claim in just to block.

He had zero trade value, and its unlikely its gone up since then. I don't understand why nobody wants him, but its tough to argue that he has any trade value at all right now. The best thing to do is to hold onto him and hope he has another solid year and somebody finally bites, or we just take the draft pick(s) for him at the end of the season.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's all you need to know:

When they tried to pass him through waivers in August, they did, because nobody claimed him. Nobody would take him even for free. Obviously we would have pulled him back if he was claimed, but nobody was interested enough in him to even both putting in a claim. Additionally, nobody was worried enough about him going elsewhere that they would put a claim in just to block.

He had zero trade value, and its unlikely its gone up since then. I don't understand why nobody wants him, but its tough to argue that he has any trade value at all right now. The best thing to do is to hold onto him and hope he has another solid year and somebody finally bites, or we just take the draft pick(s) for him at the end of the season.

But it wasn't for free, or even for $20k. If they'd claimed him they'd have been on the hook for the remainder of his contract. It's like what the Sox did with Manny a few years ago, when no one took a flyer on him. It wasn't because no one wanted Manny for free, it was because no one wanted Manny in exchange for nothing, but having to pay him $20M or so a year.

But it wasn't for free, or even for $20k. If they'd claimed him they'd have been on the hook for the remainder of his contract. It's like what the Sox did with Manny a few years ago, when no one took a flyer on him. It wasn't because no one wanted Manny for free, it was because no one wanted Manny in exchange for nothing, but having to pay him $20M or so a year.

Agreed, but so what? If nobody would pay Huff's salary while he was in the middle of a career year, then why would they pay him now, when they don't know how he'll perform this year, and with the market for players having dropped precipitously?

The Manny situation was similar. At the time the Red Sox put him on waivers, the market had taken a significant dive, and at that particular time $20 mm for one of the 5 best hitters in the game just didn't seem like that good a deal.

Agreed, but so what? If nobody would pay Huff's salary while he was in the middle of a career year, then why would they pay him now, when they don't know how he'll perform this year, and with the market for players having dropped precipitously?

The Manny situation was similar. At the time the Red Sox put him on waivers, the market had taken a significant dive, and at that particular time $20 mm for one of the 5 best hitters in the game just didn't seem like that good a deal.

I'm not saying it makes any difference with regards to his market value. He's still someone who's not going to net you much. Maybe one mid-level prospect along the lines of, oh I don't know... Brandon Snyder or Hoes or something. In fact, he was probably more valuable last July because he was in mid-career year. Unless he puts up a .900 OPS though mid-2009 everyone will look at '08 as a fluke, and he's playing out his contract on top of that.

I really just wanted to set the record straight - the rest of the world wasn't passing on Huff for free. They were passing on him and his current contract. I'm 100% sure someone would have taken a flyer on him in about two seconds if the O's offered to pay the remainder of his deal.

and they still would be (albeit not for the 2008 prtion) ... so if there was no interest in him last year, there's likely even less interest in him right now, with FA prices so depressed

Aubrey Huff is 32, why not extend him? Give him a 2-3 year extension, and the 1B & DH slots are soild for awhile...

Just because he is in the last year of his contract doesn't mean you have to trade him. By extending Huff, SS (perhaps 3B) is the position that needs to be addressed...Go O's!!!

Aubrey Huff is 32' date=' why not extend him? Give him a 2-3 year extension, and the 1B & DH slots are soild for awhile...

Just because he is in the last year of his contract doesn't mean you have to trade him. By extending Huff, SS (perhaps 3B) is the position that needs to be addressed...Go O's!!![/quote']

Because he's 32, he's coming off a career year, and he has almost no defensive value. If he declines at a typical rate he'll be a DH with a league-average bat in a year or two. The value of a DH with a league-average bat is approaching zero. The O's discard those type of players with great regularity.

Because he's 32, he's coming off a career year, and he has almost no defensive value. If he declines at a typical rate he'll be a DH with a league-average bat in a year or two. The value of a DH with a league-average bat is approaching zero. The O's discard those type of players with great regularity.

Yeah, this is the exact type of player that you let go for picks. Do you think he will be a type A?

I suppose, but prior to Huff, when was the last time we had even a ML ave. bat at DH?

I take slight exception to the assertion that Huff has almost no value defensively. I saw Huff play in the minors and know how bad a fielder he can be. That said, I was very surprised with how well he played both first and third for us last year. The guy really stepped up his game in the field, I think. No one's going to mistake him for Brooks or Keith Hernandez, but he did pretty solid work out there for us in 08, I think.

But if it were inexcusable incontinence, that might be a different story.

IMO, it seems like all this argument/discussion over Huff serves to support the theory as to why WE SHOULD be rushing out to sign Adam Dunn to a multi-year deal because at age 28, he should have 4-5 prime production years ahead of him.....:scratchchinhmm:

Archived