Os going back to 5 man rotation..Irvin to the pen

Sports Guy

Makes me wonder if Irvin is sent down once Means is back.  

I keep trying to find info about playoff eligibility. I’m not sure if you send someone to AAA in September if that has any impact on their status or not for postseason. I thought I read somewhere it did. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

I keep trying to find info about playoff eligibility. I’m not sure if you send someone to AAA in September if that has any impact on their status or not for postseason. I thought I read somewhere it did. 

I don't think it does

38 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Just because Irvin is going to the pen doesn't necessarily make the O's are going to a five man rotation.   Means will be in the rotation in 6 days or there about.

That’s what it sounds like to me as well. 5 man rotation “for the immediate future” could basically just mean, skipping Irvin’s spot for one turn and then subbing Means in as a new 6th guy assuming all goes well. 

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They can’t keep the 6 man rotation. It has to go back sometime soon. It just doesn’t make sense otherwise.

Why? I think the 6 man makes sense with the options they’ve got and to limit innings on the young guys. And with the September roster it’s a normal sized bullpen. 

6 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Why? I think the 6 man makes sense with the options they’ve got and to limit innings on the young guys. And with the September roster it’s a normal sized bullpen. 

Not sure if you want to go into the playoffs with a 6 man rotation. You need to adjust back to 5 man first. 

54 minutes ago, bigdan said:

With 17 straight games starting Friday night they're going to want that extra bullpen arm.

Bradish on Game 1 of 17 though - I don't think they want to pitch him the ensuing three turns on just four days rest in Games 1-6-11-16.

It would also make him miss the Tampa series on Days 7-10.

Hyde may be saying 5 man rotation this weekend, but I'd guess a 6th starter takes a Cardinals game so Bradish can lead off Tampa with an extra day of rest going this Friday, next Thursday.

45 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I think it's just a matter of we used 7 relievers last night so we have quite a few guys he doesn't want to use tonight, and Irvin is on full rest after pitching last Friday, plus it allows you to move Irvin out of the rotation for the Fenway series where lefties are a bit vulnerable.

Works out all around for tonight's game and THIS turn througn the rotation, but doesn't really prove mean anything else moving forward.   If GIbson has another crap outing tonight he could be out of the rotation and Irvin back in next time around.   And of course Means enters the equation next week, but I think there are other guys more likely to be sent down when Means is added to the roster, such as Krehbiel.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

You aren’t going to go with guys on 5 days rest for basically 6 weeks and then go back to 4 days rest in the playoffs.

The 6 man rotation has done its job.  There are a few days off this month as well and perhaps you rest someone heading into the playoffs but they need to get back onto some sort of a regular routine.