Campaign to put Mullins back at leadoff

Bahama O's Fan

Mullins lost the leadoff spot (presumably) because his OB% wasn't that good (.321), especially leading off an inning (.273).

Now, you're half right in that Adley is slumping so revamping the lineup may be in the cards. Personally, I'd like to see something like this:

1) Hicks RF (.500 OB% the last month)

2) Hays LF (.373)

3) Henderson SS (.362)

4) Rutschman C (.366)

5)  O'Hearn 1B (.342)

6) Santander DH (.343)

7) Westburg 2B (.329)

8 Mullins CF (.278)

9) Urias 3B (.382)

Edited by ShoelesJoe

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

This isn’t about Adley scuffling. It’s about the idea of moving Adley down in the lineup a little bit to hopefully get him into the mode of driving the ball.

It’s a mindset that maybe he doesn’t have but there’s no harm in trying. I don’t like him batting leadoff anyway.

He wasn't really driving the ball all year, thus it made sense to utilize his OBP in the leadoff spot. So I don't think moving him in the order is going to unlock more doubles and home runs out of him. I agree no harm in shuffling things around though. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

He wasn't really driving the ball all year, thus it made sense to utilize his OBP in the leadoff spot. So I don't think moving him in the order is going to unlock more doubles and home runs out of him. I agree no harm in shuffling things around though. 

No but he was driving it more and he has either been at 1 or 2, both spots that are more get on base spots and while I would still bat him second(he has a 430 slugging batting second) as a lefty, I would bat him cleanup vs lefty starters. 

Edited by Sports Guy

If Mullins were at the top of his game right now, I’d prefer him over Adley in the leadoff spot.  But, since coming off the IL, he has a .262 OBP in 31 games.  In that same period, even though he hasn’t been hitting all that well, Adley has a .338 OBP.  So, I’d leave things as they are for now.   I’m hoping that at some point Mullins will go on a tear, as he eventually did after the previous time he was on the IL.   If that starts to happen at some point, the lineup can be reshuffled.   

I mentioned in the game thread last night that I want to see Mullins back in the leadoff spot.

The inning we loaded the bases last night Mullins lead off the inning by getting on 1st.  He was getting a nice lead off of first and you could tell he was in the pitchers head which lead to a walk and runners on 1st and 2nd no outs. 

I know a leadoff hitters needs a high OBP but I think being a stolen base threat can make a big difference too for the guys behind him.

All of this on top of my opinion that Adley could use a change of scenery in the lineup.

2 hours ago, vab said:

If the idea is to get a hot bat into the lead-off spot it should be Henderson. 

Hot and cold aren't things. Or at least not actionable things, since they're retrospective and all players tend toward their true talent.  Unless he's hurt, every .750 OPS player who's been OPSing .850 over his last nine games is most likely to have a .750 over his next nine.

3 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Mullins lost the leadoff spot (presumably) because his OB% wasn't that good (.321), especially leading off an inning (.273).

Now, you're half right in that Adley is slumping so revamping the lineup may be in the cards. Personally, I'd like to see something like this:

1) Hicks RF (.500 OB% the last month)

2) Hays LF (.373)

3) Henderson SS (.362)

4) Rutschman C (.366)

5)  O'Hearn 1B (.342)

6) Santander DH (.343)

7) Westburg 2B (.329)

8 Mullins CF (.278)

9) Urias 3B (.382)

Using OBP over 30 days is a little like flipping a coin 10 times, having it come up heads seven, and deciding that the odds of heads going forward is 70%.

For all of these players we have much better data to work with.