Jack Flaherty for Closer

ScGO's

6 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Rotation after

Of course always possible something changes. Assumes off day changes nothing. 

9/19 Gibson @ HOU

9/20 Bradish @ HOU

9/21 Grayson @ CLE

9/22 Kremer @ CLE

9/23 Means @ CLE

9/24 Gibson @ CLE

9/25 - off day 

9/26 Bradish - WAS

9/27 Grayson- WAS

9/28 Kremer- BOS

9/29 Means BOS

9/30 Gibson BOS

10/1 Bradish BOS

Does this change after they've clinched?

48 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

This is an ass covering move because he didn’t work out here as a starter. So now they gotta put him in the bullpen. 

I’m happy he’s out of the rotation but I don’t think our bullpen needs another guy with command issues. I’d have rather just released him altogether. 

They've got two weeks to figure that out.  I don't imagine the cost of getting him sits well if the release him, but as Malik pointed out and I observed at the game of Friday, he was lights out until a questionable strike call rattled him and he lost it after the HR.  If the hook is quick when he begins to implode, I'm for them exploring that avenue.  But that's quick exploration and I don't necessarily think his spot on the Playoff roster is a definite... especially if he gets the heebeejeebees in the relief role.  It was so apparent at Friday night's game; he just totally deflated after that 4th inning HR.  He ain't right in the head right now.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

This is an ass covering move because he didn’t work out here as a starter. So now they gotta put him in the bullpen. 

I’m happy he’s out of the rotation but I don’t think our bullpen needs another guy with command issues. I’d have rather just released him altogether. 

Trying him in the bullpen is the smart thing to do.  It would just be dumb to release him before seeing how he looks.   He sometimes touches 96 during his starts.   For 1 or two innings with that slider he might be good.

Just now, RZNJ said:

Trying him in the bullpen is the smart thing to do.  It would just be dumb to release him before seeing how he looks.   He sometimes touches 96 during his starts.   For 1 or two innings with that slider he might be good.

Being able to hit 96 isn't that much of a calling card in today's game.

Seems like a sunk cost to me but not as if they don't have a need in the pen right now.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Being able to hit 96 isn't that much of a calling card in today's game.

Seems like a sunk cost to me but not as if they don't have a need in the pen right now.

Yeah, 96 is no big deal but I think if Flaherty can do that consistently for 1 or 2 innings along with his slider, he might do very well.   

1 hour ago, banks703 said:

I’d suggest that Flaherty’s bullpen assignment all but writes off a return of Tyler Wells.

I’m pulling for JF. I hope his command plays better in shorter spots where he can just let it eat. I guess we are about to find out. 

One of the perversely fun aspects of this season is that we are actively trying out these ideas and finding out the answers in the heat of a division race.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Flaherty was 95-96 in his first inning when he was pushed to 23-24 pitches.  It looked like he was mostly 93-94 in his second inning.   First relief appearance inconclusive but he warrants further experimentation.

He did throw 79 pitches 3 days ago. Like you said, to be determined.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Flaherty was 95-96 in his first inning when he was pushed to 23-24 pitches.  It looked like he was mostly 93-94 in his second inning.   First relief appearance inconclusive but he warrants further experimentation.

Was def a notch down inning two.  I know he likes to play around with his speeds but he threw a couple 91s that caught my attention.  He gives me next to zero confidence.   His stuff out of the pen is better than some guys we’ve been putting out there recently.  

I think he's a 1 Inning guy. He'd did great last night, but next time I want too see him in just one inning, either the 7th or 8th. 

If he can sit 96-97, he might be a dude and then be able to take over the 9th. Put cano back into 7th and 8th inning role. 

Need to DFA Lopez immediately and call up Irvin. Probably send baumann back down for vespi. I think baumann is toast right now

22 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I think he's a 1 Inning guy. He'd did great last night, but next time I want too see him in just one inning, either the 7th or 8th. 

If he can sit 96-97, he might be a dude and then be able to take over the 9th. Put cano back into 7th and 8th inning role. 

Need to DFA Lopez immediately and call up Irvin. Probably send baumann back down for vespi. I think baumann is toast right now

Let’s see what Flaherty looks like when he’s on a normal relief schedule and didn’t just pitch 79 pitches three days before. I’m guessing that should give him some more zip. 

Lopez just needs the DFA. There’s no reason to pay him his Arb number. Maybe we can resign him to a 1/1.5 million contract this offseason and see what he looks like in ST, but also have the 1.5 million be a deterrent if we need to DFA him to AAA.

Overall, we’re in “Just win baby” mode. Whatever it takes. Egos are out the door.