Guardians Series

Just Regular

Refreshing my memory on the good Means of 2019-2021, it is a fWAR pitching funny that it sees John Means' 345 innings of 3.73 ERA, and Kyle Gibson's 409 innings of 4.42 ERA as both worth 5.9 fWAR.

Across those 3 years, Means was 27th in ERA among Qualified Pitchers.    B-Ref reckons he was worth 4.7 WAR per 162 games.     In the next month and year, who knows how much of that guy we get back?      He's a surer Qualifying Offer than Santander if the answer is "most of it".

I thought I saw a nice amount of life on the pitches down in Houston, but the metrics weren't that great.     Many of the opposing batters then were proven champions.   

I know everyone is down after last few games, but we still have a decent chance of splitting the series in next two games. I hope they play soundly headed into the day of rest and then the Nats (who, however, are not the easy prey that the A's are). My father has entered hospice care in White Marsh and so I'll be down in Balto., hope to catch the hoodie give-away vs. Boston. Go O's!

7 minutes ago, LA2 said:

I know everyone is down after last few games, but we still have a decent chance of splitting the series in next two games. I hope they play soundly headed into the day of rest and then the Nats (who, however, are not the easy prey that the A's are). My father has entered hospice care in White Marsh and so I'll be down in Balto., hope to catch the hoodie give-away vs. Boston. Go O's!

Sorry about your father. The Saturday game vs Boston is sold out. I know you can get tickets on the open market.

15 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I’m glad I didn’t get to watch much tonight. I saw some of it in my phone, tuned in just in time to see Santander fall on his face in right field, then whatever happened on the ball hit up the middle right after that. 

I kinda want to know what happened but at the same time I’m just a bit relieved that the Jays took one from Tampa tonight, too. 

At this point I’m hoping we can still take the division while on running on fumes and rest up for the playoffs. Getting a first round bye to rest the bullpen is priority…do that and I can see us winning a division series. If we don’t get the time off, it might not be pretty. 

It was just kind of a race to the bottom from the very beginning. The pitching was poor on both sides and there were so many errors that I'm not certain how either team couldn't capitalize on them more. 

I think you're right about tired... yesterday was the 14th straight game without a day off. 

On 9/22/2023 at 11:03 PM, Uli2001 said:

Everyone was down after the Orioles lost the first two games to TB and they rebounded to a split. I think they will rebound here too.

I just wanted to pull out this post which I read at the time and mentally tucked away. Thanks for being the voice of reason. I swear the overall outlook on this forum is often worst when we’re actually winning games.