Trade target: Braxton Garrett -- Miami Marlins

ShoelesJoe

26 year old LH starter, 9-6 with a 3.53 ERA. Has held LH batters to a .219 BA with 3 HRs in 36.2 innings in 2023. Still pre-arb making $700,000 this season. The Marlins' top three prospects are all pitchers so they can probably afford to deal one of their starters. 

Would Westburg or Santander straight up get it done?

5 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

26 year old LH starter, 9-6 with a 3.53 ERA. Has held LH batters to a .219 BA with 3 HRs in 36.2 innings in 2023. Still pre-arb making $700,000 this season. The Marlins' top three prospects are all pitchers so they can probably afford to deal one of their starters. 

Would Westburg or Santander straight up get it done?

Interesting you would go with Westburg or Santander.  One is a six year of team control guy and the other would be a one year rental.

I can't fathom a team giving up a good pre-arb pitcher for one year of Santander at arb 3.

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Interesting you would go with Westburg or Santander.  One is a six year of team control guy and the other would be a one year rental.

I can't fathom a team giving up a good pre-arb pitcher for one year of Santander at arb 3.

You're probably right wrt Santander. What Miami really needs is a catcher and a SS who can hit. Westburg or Ortiz should fill one of those needs. 

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think Miami would trade Garrett at all.

They are ascending this year as well and he's been perhaps their best pitcher.

I don't think Westburg or Santander alone gets it done. Kim Ng is smart. She got three years of Arraez back for Lopez. Garrett would cost more than that. 

For what it's worth, Trade Simulator has Garrett as a 35.9. Westburg is a 25 and Santander is 6.5. Santander is basically irrelevant. Westburg would come closer but not enough. That seems right to me. 

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I don't think Westburg or Santander alone gets it done. Kim Ng is smart. She got three years of Arraez back for Lopez. Garrett would cost more than that. 

For what it's worth, Trade Simulator has Garrett as a 35.9. Westburg is a 25 and Santander is 6.5. Santander is basically irrelevant. Westburg would come closer but not enough. That seems right to me. 

This is why I think Santander isn't getting traded. Yes he's been a valuable power hitter, but he's not very athletic and doesn't bring anything to the table with his glove.

Keeping Santander until he hits free agency is going to provide the most value to the Orioles over trading him unless Elias gets some surprise trade offer he can't refuse.

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

This is why I think Santander isn't getting traded. Yes he's been a valuable power hitter, but he's not very athletic and doesn't bring anything to the table with his glove.

Keeping Santander until he hits free agency is going to provide the most value to the Orioles over trading him unless Elias gets some surprise trade offer he can't refuse.

I doubt they hold on to Santander just to let him walk when they are major league ready at corner outfield.  Kjersted and Cowser  should be getting most the starts in right field and Dh.   They can move Santander for a bullpen arm or for some prospects that are at the lower levels.  Milwaukee makes a lot of sense for a trade of Santander as they are starting Carlos Santana at 1st and DH and are pretty slim on corner outfielders as well.  Santander for someone like Bryce Wilson and a lower level prospect would be a fair trade in dealing from our surplus to add another piece that can help in the future.  

3 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

If Alcantara is healthy, I would think about trading for him.  I know he has struggled this season, so now would be the time to go for it.  Does he have 3 more years on his contract?

Assuming he’s healthy (“forearm injury” sort of screams red flags), I think Alcantara would be a dream target. Especially if you’re buying “low” on a guy who was a leading CY candidate until this down season.

The Trade Simulator has Alcantara as a negative trade value, which has to be erroneous. He’s on a 3/$43M deal with a $21M club option in 2027. That’s a massively favorable deal, even if all you get is this season’s version. ZIPS has him projected at 10 wins over those 3 seasons, which would be something like a $37M surplus value.