How Many Stick Around to Next Year?

Idaho_OriolesFan

31 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

They said their plan is the Rays model. You can expect them to move players rather than sign them long term. The guy you need long term is Henderson and Bradish. 

I think it’s very possible they send Santander & Mullins. If Means would agree to a team friendly deal it’s possible he gets a 2-3 year extension.

I like Santander and Mullins a lot .. *when* they break-out they're exciting to watch! BUT.. I could see trading them IF you got something more stable in return. I couldn't imagine trading them for some sort of lateral move.

39 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

They said their plan is the Rays model. You can expect them to move players rather than sign them long term. The guy you need long term is Henderson and Bradish. 

I think it’s very possible they send Santander & Mullins. If Means would agree to a team friendly deal it’s possible he gets a 2-3 year extension.

Rodriguez?

Rodriguez?

Rodriguez?

Here's what I think (position players):

Guys that won't be back in Baltimore

Stowers

Vavra

Lester

Benboom 

Guys I wouldn't be surprised if they moved for parts and pieces

Nor by (caught in a numbers game)

Ortiz (one of he or Mateo must go)

Mateo (see above)

Urias (if they think Westburg's bat will come around.  Urias offensive production was down quite a bit this year)

Frazier (no room for him, especially if Holluday is close)

Hays (although I think they keep him)

Hicks (he may stay as a no- cost insurance policy)

Mullins (aging centerfieldet and my favorite player on this team, but I don't think he is in the long- term plans)

Santander (may be the last year to cash in on his value if Kjerstad is ready to take over in right)

24 minutes ago, Idaho_OriolesFan said:

I'm uncertain why they would consider getting rid of these two guys... seems to me they're about as stable / great player as there is

Hicks is a FA. He’ll probably receive a decent contract offer that the Os won’t be interested in matching. They have other young options with enough experience now (Kjerstad, Cowser).

Moving Hays would be more in line with what others have described as the Rays model. The Rays frequently trade good players once they determine they won’t dedicate the money to extend them. The key is how much value you get in return, and whether you have guys who can step into the role of the traded player. The Rays have done a great job trading quality players for future stars while remaining competitive because of how deep their overall system is.

That’s the type of system the Os seem to be trying to build (think about Mancini/Jorge last year). What they do with Santander, Hays and Mullins over the next year or two will be interesting.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Long term, what about Adley?

1 hour ago, Yossarian said:

Here's what I think (position players):

Guys that won't be back in Baltimore

Stowers

Vavra

Lester

Benboom 

Guys I wouldn't be surprised if they moved for parts and pieces

Nor by (caught in a numbers game)

Ortiz (one of he or Mateo must go)

Mateo (see above)

Urias (if they think Westburg's bat will come around.  Urias offensive production was down quite a bit this year)

Frazier (no room for him, especially if Holluday is close)

Hays (although I think they keep him)

Hicks (he may stay as a no- cost insurance policy)

Mullins (aging centerfieldet and my favorite player on this team, but I don't think he is in the long- term plans)

Santander (may be the last year to cash in on his value if Kjerstad is ready to take over in right)

Not coming back next year, Baker?

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

But the Rays did lock up some of their best hitters -- mainly Evan Longoria and Wander Franco.  I know Santander is not at that level, but I think there's a good chance Santander is with the team to start next season.  I think it's a mistake to assume someone is ready to take over for him until he proves it.  If not then trade for or sign someone who is -- if he must be traded now or pretty soon. 

I don't trust prospect rankings.  In 2016 Jorge Mateo was the Yankees top prospect, just ahead of Aaron Judge.  

Also, the Orioles don't really have the pitching in the minors the way the Rays always seem to.  Can't imagine Means or any decent pitcher getting traded for that reason.  And for a long time the Rays weren't a very good hitting team, which I think is a big reason the Rays never tried to lock up their position players until guys like Evan Longoria started to emerge, though there may be a bit more to it than that.