Game 1 Lineup Guesses

Aristotelian

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Surprised this hasn't been a thread on this yet. Of course, we don't even know the rosters yet but we can guess the starting nine. 

Vs Jordan Montgomery, a LHP with fairly even splits.

C Adley

LF Hays

RF Santander

1B Mountcastle

SS Gunnar

DH Hicks

CF Mullins

2B Westburg

3B Ortiz

Going by matchups, Mateo is a consideration since Ramon does not have great splits vs LHP. Still, I am going with Westburg/Ortiz, with Ortiz in the 9 spot due to his reverse splits. 

Gunnar improved vs LHP but I'm still not liking his .210/.618 in a prime spot. I just don't think having him high in the order is a good idea in a playoff game, although we may regret batting him lower when it gets to the later innings. Sorry, Gunnar. I've got Hays batting second, although I am tempted to go with Hicks all of a sudden.

McCann could be a consideration but that would force Hicks to the bench. I'd look for him to maybe start a game later in the series if we are facing a LHP and have a lead, otherwise it's Adley C and Hicks DH vs LHP.

Anyone got a better lineup to win Game 1?

Isn't Heaney pitching not Montgomery?

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

The Os were top 10 vs lefties in terms of OpS. I’m guessing he sticks with what he did…but it does suck to potentially lose with your back ups.

Mateo is interesting. Do you want to play him and lose him when they lift him for a PHer and lose his speed late?

He actually has hit a bit the last couple of weeks. Best he has looked since April. 

1 Hays LF
(.262/.329/.456, 5 hr)

2 Rutschman C
(.304/.414/.481, 6 hr)

3 Santander DH
(.250/.353/.428, 5 hr)

4 Mountcastle 1B
(.338/.398/.655, 12 hr)

5. Hicks RF
(.349/.446/.524, 3 hr)

6 Henderson 3B
(.210/.293/.324, 3 hr)

7 Westburg 2B
(.284/.354/.432, 1 hr)

8 Mullins CF
(.233/.310/.398, 3 hr)

9 Mateo SS
(.276/.329/.417, 3 hr)

I will say that if it came down to a decision between Urias or Mateo, I'd rather have Urias at 3B for his defense and have Mateo off the bench as a pinch runner for his speed. There's also a statistic that shows every world series winner of the past so many decades has had the same consistent starting SS through the playoffs. We want to win the Wold Series. Therefore, we should do what is proven to win the world Series and keep Gunnar comfortable as the starting Shortstop rather than move him around each game.

1 minute ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I will say that if it came down to a decision between Urias or Mateo, I'd rather have Urias at 3B for his defense and have Mateo off the bench as a pinch runner for his speed. There's also a statistic that shows every world series winner of the past so many decades has had the same consistent starting SS through the playoffs. We want to win the Wold Series. Therefore, we should do what is proven to win the world Series and keep Gunnar comfortable as the starting Shortstop rather than move him around each game.

But I won't complain if the Orioles feel that Mateo playing SS and Gunnar playing 3B gives them their best chance to win and decides to go that direction either. I trust the Analytical team and I trust Brandon Hyde's staff of coaches.