Orioles 2023 #12 Prospect Braylin Tavera - CF

Tony-OH

https://orioleshangout.com/2023/11/18/orioles-2023-12-prospect-braylin-tavera-cf/

Signed for $1.7 million during the 2022 international signing period, Braylin Tavera made the jump to the Florida Complex League in 2023 and flashed the five tools that makes him the #12 prospect.

Braylin Tavera
Pos: CF
Bats: R
Throws: R
Age (as of Jun 30th) : 18
2023 Level: FCL

Tools (current/future value)
Hit: 25/50
Game Power: 30/50
Raw Power: 30/55
Run: 60/60
Defense: 45/60

Most Likely Future Role: Too Early
Ceiling: 1st Division Center Fielder

image.thumb.png.de64cadfc8fcc0831f8a03f835300e5b.png

What we know: The 18-year old Dominican showed off his five tools down in the complex league despite a few nagging injuries that lost him some playing time. The right-handed hitter made strides in many areas including more than doubling his ISO (.076 to .159), cutting his K% (25.4% to 16.5%), cutting his Swinging Strike % (26.8% to 16.5%) while increasing his WOBA (.385 to .395) and OPS (.730 to .812) from his DSL debut last year.

His 22 to 23 BB to K ratio showed an ability to control the strike zone and his 13 SBs in 35 games flashed his speed and base stealing abilities though he did get caught five times. As one of the youngest players in the league, he only had two PAs against pitchers younger than him.

Defensively, Tavera has good range, a solid average arm, and reportedly shows enough speed and instincts to be able to stay there as he moves up the chain.

What we don't know: Obviously there are a lot of unknowns with him being so far away from the major leagues. How will he handle the jump to full season ball next year? Can he stay healthy all year? Will his power take another step forward?

What we think: He'll play all of 2024 at 19-years old and should start the year in A-ball (Delmarva). He outperformed Samuel Basallo in the complex league (.812 OPS to .774 with a much better K-BB ratio) but was six months older at the same time. Tavera has an above average eye at the plate and that should help him in his jump to full season ball next season, but don't expect the same Basallo ascension.

• Upvote 1

It’s good to remember that while Tavera isn’t quite as young at this level as Basallo was, he’s still pretty precocious.  Looking at the list of the league’s top 100 hitters, he’s the 9th youngest on the list.   And of all the guys who were listed as age 17-18 last year, only 14 had an OPS better than Tavera’s.  Throw in that he plays CF and that’s a pretty nice prospect.   I’m looking forward to seeing how he does stateside in 2024.  

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Is there a comparable O’s player the in minor leagues or former player? He’s 6’2 and average tools across.

It's hard sometimes to comp guys at this age and experience level, but if I had to, I'd say Austin Hays could be a decent comp though he may have a better chance to stick in CF than Hays did.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

You caught me off guard with this weekend releases. I have some catching up to do. Tavera will be a really interesting follow this year.

I typically don't do them over the weekend but wanted to get the top 20 out before Thanksgiving.

• Thanks 1