Naoyuki Uwasawa Offer Being Prepared?

Can_of_corn

This move has me thinking that Elias has a trade in the works for a Cease, Burnes, etc, and he plans to include Dean Kremer in that trade.

Signing Uwasawa and then going into the 2023 season with what we got is very redundant as we basically have GrayRod, Bradish and a bunch of #5 starters.

However, perhaps Elias studied up on the the 2012-2016 O's bullpens and he plans to take an unorthodox approach by signing Hader and possibly another arm like Hicks/Stephenson/Nerris while continuing to try and build starting pitching from within and affordable moves like Uwasawa or a Frankie Montas/Brandon Woodruff type signing.

O's build a power bullpen (Hader, Bautista, Hall, Cano, Hicks/Stephenson/Nerris) and have a deep, yet not elite starting 5...until its developed from within in a few years (probably what he envisions in the future when the Domincan/International guys start arriving)

How would everyone feel about a starting 5 of Bradish,GrayRod, Means, Kremer, Uwasawa if it meant having an Elite bullpen? I think we can win 105 games with that strategy

9 hours ago, ScGO's said:

This move has me thinking that Elias has a trade in the works for a Cease, Burnes, etc, and he plans to include Dean Kremer in that trade.

Signing Uwasawa and then going into the 2023 season with what we got is very redundant as we basically have GrayRod, Bradish and a bunch of #5 starters.

However, perhaps Elias studied up on the the 2012-2016 O's bullpens and he plans to take an unorthodox approach by signing Hader and possibly another arm like Hicks/Stephenson/Nerris while continuing to try and build starting pitching from within and affordable moves like Uwasawa or a Frankie Montas/Brandon Woodruff type signing.

O's build a power bullpen (Hader, Bautista, Hall, Cano, Hicks/Stephenson/Nerris) and have a deep, yet not elite starting 5...until its developed from within in a few years (probably what he envisions in the future when the Domincan/International guys start arriving)

How would everyone feel about a starting 5 of Bradish,GrayRod, Means, Kremer, Uwasawa if it meant having an Elite bullpen? I think we can win 105 games with that strategy

I think you are undervaluing Kremer if you are calling him a #5. Means has the potential to be more if he can pitch a full season. If Uwasawa can pitch to a mid 3 ERA comparable to his career numbers he’d also not be a 5th starter. And better than Cease! 

I’m not sure the plan at this point but think your rating of these guys are off! Nobody has 5 TOR guys and a guy that isn’t a TOR doesn’t automatically get classified as a #5 or backend 

On 11/29/2023 at 10:09 AM, Frobby said:

I don’t disagree that Uwasawa’s K rate is a yellow flag.  I haven’t studied how Japanese K rates translate when a pitcher moves to the U.S.  On the one hand, US players are generally better.  On the other hand, US hitters’ style of hitting lends itself more to strikeouts.   I’m sure someone has studied this.  The average K/9 was 7.3 in the Japan League last year, 8.7 in MLB.   

I looked at a handful of Japanese pitchers who came to the US, and their K rates usually jumped by 0.8 -1.3 per 9 upon moving to the US.  So, Uwasawa’s 7.3 probably looks more like 8 - 8.5 K/9 in the US.  Respectable, if nothing to write home about.  

The other noticeable trend was that HR rates were much higher upon moving to the US, like 75-100% higher.  So, Uwasawa’s 0.8 probably looks more like 1.4 - 1.6 here.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I think you are undervaluing Kremer if you are calling him a #5. Means has the potential to be more if he can pitch a full season. If Uwasawa can pitch to a mid 3 ERA comparable to his career numbers he’d also not be a 5th starter. And better than Cease! 

I’m not sure the plan at this point but think your rating of these guys are off! Nobody has 5 TOR guys and a guy that isn’t a TOR doesn’t automatically get classified as a #5 or backend 

There is virtually no chance of Uwasawa pitching to a 3.5 ERA over a full season in MLB. I think we'd be hoping for Gibson production if he's starting. 

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

There is virtually no chance of Uwasawa pitching to a 3.5 ERA over a full season in MLB. I think we'd be hoping for Gibson production if he's starting. 

Oh, I think we’d be hoping for much better than that.  More like 4.00 - 4.25.  Whether we’d get it, I can’t say, but that’s probably his upside.   

44 minutes ago, interloper said:

If that is what Uwasawa does he will not hold a starter job long.   McDermott can probably do better than than that by June.  Heck,  Irvin can probably do better as a starter than then.

13 hours ago, ScGO's said:

I love a power bullpen to, thats why I want Wells in the pen, You're proposing not only Hader, (By himself is not going to happen), but also 1 of Hicks/Stephenson/Nerris. Come on this is not a Parker Bradly board game.

19 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If that is what Uwasawa does he will not hold a starter job long.   McDermott can probably do better than than that by June.  Heck,  Irvin can probably do better as a starter than then.

If Irvin can do a better job than Gibson then why wasn’t he in the rotation last year for most of the season?

As to McDermott, I have hopes for the guy, but I wouldn’t count on him being that effective as a rookie.  He’ll probably be a guy who, like Kremer, Bradish, Rodriguez and Hall, takes his lumps for a while before settling in at the major league level.  

4 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Same as Cease? He’s done that 2 of the last 4 years. And 4.58 this year. 

4.00 - 4.25 is Iwasawa’s upside.  Cease’s similar upside is probably in the 3.00 - 3.25 range.  

My baseline expectation for Cease as an Oriole is in the 3.70 - 3.95 range.  If he’s still on the Sox, then 4.00 - 4.25 due to their terrible defense.