Pre winter meeting reliever notes

SemperFi

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Cold water here.  “Showing Interest” means zilch.  They are kicking the tires.   Tweet me after the test drive and once more when they sign on the dotted line.

I only care about the latter.  Test drive, shmest drive.  

2 hours ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

I would be very excited for Stephenson. It’s exactly the type of move the Orioles should make, he has elite upside but enough question marks that he’ll be in their price range.

And while a multi year contract for a RP is always risky, if in 2024 he looks anything like the pitcher he was last year it will very quickly look like a bargain to have him under control for 2-3 more years at ~10M a year. 

Spotrac has the O's 2024 active payroll at around $71 million right now including estimated arbitration raises.  Add Stephenson at $9 million AAV and Cease at $8 million for 2024 and that would take the payroll to $88 million - about $3 million more than my personal guess as to JA's comfort zone.  It's just a guess and there's always the possibility of trading a vet or two, but as much as I would like to get Stephenson (and have Angelos loosen the purse strings), I have a hard time believing Elias would consider paying $9 million for a reliever who doesn't have closer experience.  I'd love to be proven wrong.

On 12/1/2023 at 8:39 AM, Sports Guy said:

Sure, 2-3 years would be great but he will get 4-6 years and even if he would sign for 2-3 years, I’m guessing his AAV will be higher than the Os will spend.

Kimbrel, Robertson and Chapman will all get 1 year deals. The Os probably sign one of them. I would rather trade for Kopech and move him to the back of the pen personally. I think his upside is higher than those guys and you can likely acquire him for a “bargain” relative to the cost of established high leverage relievers.

I think Kopech is also another pitcher that could benefit from analytics and better defense. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It’s worrisome that Stephenson just found this cutter and might get a 3 year deal. Shawn Armstrong found a cutter, and was DFA’d the next season. Loved the cutter so much that he named his son cutter. 

Kind of like Jorge Lopez 99 mph sinker.  Sorry.  Couldn't resist.