Hall, Wells, SP, RP?

now

Hall, Wells, SP, RP?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Where would you like to see Hall and Wells on the 2024 pitching staff?

• Both starters (not necessarily top 5)
    • Both relievers (in any role)
    • Hall starter, Wells reliever
    • Hall reliever, Wells starter
    • Use both as starters and relievers, as needed

With the Kimbrel signing, it brings into focus (or further confusion?) the roles of DH Hall and Tyler Wells. 

Hall maintains he still wants to start; Wells was our most effective starter in the first half of 2023.

Both Hall and Wells have shown they can be effective in relief, whether long, short, setup or even closing. 

Now that Kimbrel is the presumptive closer, Wells' other roles become more likely. Hall's fate is yet unknown.

The Orioles still need starters at least for insurance, if not to contend for the front five. Could Hall or Wells step in or is the need greater in the bullpen?

With all the variables still in play, multiple staff choices present themselves. And who knows what Elias/Hyde will do?

Therefore, to keep it simple, vote for your ideal roles for these two pitchers in 2024.

Edited by now

Well if they are starters but “not necessarily top 5” that makes them relievers, doesn’t it?

Honestly I’d love Wells in the rotation if I thought he could stay healthy and effective all year.  He’s quite pitch-efficient and enjoyable to watch in that role.   Hall has potential as a starter but unless he has a sudden sea change in command, at best he’d be a 5-and-dive guy.  

So in my ideal world, the O’s would acquire another quality starter and both Wells and Hall would operate out of the pen, but be options to start if a starter got hurt, with Wells getting first crack.  

• Upvote 1

The best realistic outcome involves acquiring another SP, the starting 5 stays pretty healthy, and Wells/Hall are lockdown members of a strong pen. 

Wells should be high on the list of options to start if there are health issues with other guys. Though if there is one unexpected SP spot to fill I wouldn’t be shocked if they went to Irvin first and kept Wells in a relief role if possible. 

Edited by Spy Fox

There's so many options is difficult for me to choose. Wells is good as a starter for half a year. But I think he could be good for the entire year coming out of the bullpen in a role similar to what Mike Baumann was doing in 2023. This would ideally keep his innings down and his arm fresh.

With DL Hall, I want to give him a legitimate opportunity to develop as a starting pitcher like Grayson Rodriguez. This has always been the goal with him. And we need another left handed pitcher in the rotation to go with John Means (who we don't know can complete the entire season coming off of TJ Surgery).  The fall back plan if starting doesn't work out is to simply put DL back in the bullpen as a quality set up man or secondary closer. We know he can handle that role, but we shouldn't limit his potential to just the bullpen. Now that he's gotten more experience against Major League batters, let's stretch him out and see what he can do as a starter.

I do agree with Frobby that 5 innings a start is probably the goal for DL Hall in his first full season as a starter.

How about this idea... DL Hall 5 good innings then Tyler Wells enters the game for 2 more? Seems like it could work.

But other than that, I do think Wells could be effectively good for half a season as a starter. I just don't think he will make it through the All Star break as a starter. So if you choose Wells to be in the rotation, then you have to expect another pitcher to take his place. Someone like Cole Irvin, Chayce McDermott, Setch Johnson, or Cade Povish maybe.

So as you can see by my opinion, it's difficult for me to pick just one of those options. I just know that I want to give DL Hall an opportunity in the rotation as a starter, the way the organization had always planned for and hoped for. We saw Grayson struggle in the beginning as a starter, then he got with Coach Ramsey and fixed some things, and he was exceptional when he returned to the rotation. I want to give DL Hall that type of opportunity, because he has the talent.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

With the Kimbrel signing, I think it's unlikely there'll be a major SP acquisition unless it's through trading prospects. I'd guess Wells and Hall both compete for a SP spot in spring training and end up in the bullpen if they're not in the top 5, but ready to stretch out and at least become 4-5 IP openers if needed.

Could they both pitch about 100-125 IP and turn into one TOR starter. Imagine if they were paired together as the Fifth SP option. Wells starts and goes 1-2x through the lineup. Then Hall comes in and goes 1-2x through the lineup. If they both average 4 IP per start and they both start 32 times in 2024 they would both pitch 128 innings. Because they throw with different hands the opposing manager can't stack the lineup against either of them. It could work. 254 IP is more than anyone went in a very long time.

I want to acquire a SP who slots into our top 3-4.

Bradish, GRod, Means, FA/ Trade.

The 5th spot in the rotation is a spring training open competition between Kremer, Wells and Hall.

I am tired of hearing concerns about who will last all season as a starter. It is a long season, guys get tired, guys get hurt. I want our best options in the rotation from day one giving us the best chance to win. If Wells pitches well for a few months as a starter and flames out in August again, oh well, next man up.

Point is, it doesn’t matter how well someone is pitching in August and September if the team is in the basement. 

4 hours ago, SilverRocket said:

With the Kimbrel signing, I think it's unlikely there'll be a major SP acquisition unless it's through trading prospects. I'd guess Wells and Hall both compete for a SP spot in spring training and end up in the bullpen if they're not in the top 5, but ready to stretch out and at least become 4-5 IP openers if needed.

I don't believe Elias has been running around Nashville over the last couple of days taking up other team's time about starting pitching only to suddenly decide to throw the entire budget at a guy who's going to pitch 70 innings at most.  $20 million AAV over multiple years could well be off the table at this point, but something like a Cease trade could very much still be possible IMO.

6 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

There's so many options is difficult for me to choose. Wells is good as a starter for half a year. But I think he could be good for the entire year coming out of the bullpen in a role similar to what Mike Baumann was doing in 2023. This would ideally keep his innings down and his arm fresh.

With DL Hall, I want to give him a legitimate opportunity to develop as a starting pitcher like Grayson Rodriguez. This has always been the goal with him. And we need another left handed pitcher in the rotation to go with John Means (who we don't know can complete the entire season coming off of TJ Surgery).  The fall back plan if starting doesn't work out is to simply put DL back in the bullpen as a quality set up man or secondary closer. We know he can handle that role, but we shouldn't limit his potential to just the bullpen. Now that he's gotten more experience against Major League batters, let's stretch him out and see what he can do as a starter.

I do agree with Frobby that 5 innings a start is probably the goal for DL Hall in his first full season as a starter.

How about this idea... DL Hall 5 good innings then Tyler Wells enters the game for 2 more? Seems like it could work.

But other than that, I do think Wells could be effectively good for half a season as a starter. I just don't think he will make it through the All Star break as a starter. So if you choose Wells to be in the rotation, then you have to expect another pitcher to take his place. Someone like Cole Irvin, Chayce McDermott, Setch Johnson, or Cade Povish maybe.

So as you can see by my opinion, it's difficult for me to pick just one of those options. I just know that I want to give DL Hall an opportunity in the rotation as a starter, the way the organization had always planned for and hoped for. We saw Grayson struggle in the beginning as a starter, then he got with Coach Ramsey and fixed some things, and he was exceptional when he returned to the rotation. I want to give DL Hall that type of opportunity, because he has the talent.

I tried to make it simple but I like this complex answer. Besides, it's on point to the OP question, which is not what you predict will happen, but what you'd like to see happen. 

14 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Love it. Couldn't agree more.