This offseason will tell us a lot about Elias

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, Otter said:

I don't remember the general consensus back then, but I do remember I was not that happy with the trade at the time it was made.  Two promising young pitchers with a lot of upside, and Finley was one of my favorite players.  And part of the best outfield in O's history in my opinion...  

Better than Buford, Blair and Robinson? No chance

2 hours ago, Jagwar said:

Better than Buford, Blair and Robinson? No chance

Defensively it was very good, probably better than that group despite Blair’s greatness.  However, people don’t realize that Anderson, Devereaux and Finley were rarely on the field together.   They had Orsulak and Phil Bradley out there a good bit of the time.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Never understood how Brady Anderson never won a Gold Glove.  Maybe he wasn't as good of a defender as I remember but I used to think he was awesome.

I once met a chick at the beach & we went back to her hotel room and watched the Orioles game. She watched Brady Anderson do his thing and it totally put her in the mood. True story. 

• Haha 4

On 1/3/2024 at 8:00 AM, Just Regular said:

1. Its fine for John Means, Dean Kremer and Tyler Wells to pitch games 3, 4 and 5 in spring.

2. Its not fine (at least not that we can see yet) for any of them to pitch game 3 in fall.

Sigbot likes minimizing risk, but you really don't want Adley year 3 of 6 to end in ALWC Game 3 with a Kyle Gibson type pitcher getting blown out.

I think you're exaggerating to make a point. We've seen a Scherzer and Verlander and Kershaw getting blown out in a playoff game too. It's just a matter of odds. And if you have a 3.50 ERA pitcher vs. a 4.00 ERA pitcher at your #3 spot, it's pretty in-Sig-nificant in the super-small sample size of a playoff game or two.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Defensively it was very good, probably better than that group despite Blair’s greatness.  However, people don’t realize that Anderson, Devereaux and Finley were rarely on the field together.   They had Orsulak and Phil Bradley out there a good bit of the time.  

In 1989 Anderson/Devereaux/Finley had WAR of 0.3/2.3/0.4. Bradley 2.9 and Orsulak 2.0. The 5 had a combined WAR of 7.9

In 1969 Buford/Blair/Robinson had WAR of 7.1/4.8/7.5 (combined 19.4). In 1970 it was 5.8/4.5/4.8 (combined 15.1)

It's not even close

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I once met a chick at the beach & we went back to her hotel room and watched the Orioles game. She watched Brady Anderson do his thing and it totally put her in the mood. True story. 

I used to have seats in the LF bleachers directly behind where Brady would stand in LF.  First time I took my wife she commented, “that guy has a cute butt.”  About five minutes later, a couple sits down in the row in front of us and the woman says to her guy, “that guy has a cute butt.”   

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Jagwar said:

In 1989 Anderson/Devereaux/Finley had WAR of 0.3/2.3/0.4. Bradley 2.9 and Orsulak 2.0. The 5 had a combined WAR of 7.9

In 1969 Buford/Blair/Robinson had WAR of 7.1/4.8/7.5 (combined 19.4). In 1970 it was 5.8/4.5/4.8 (combined 15.1)

It's not even close

You understand that I was only talking about defense, right?   And specifically, the defense when Anderson, Finley and Devereaux were on the field simultaneously.  That was the overall best outfield defensive alignment the O’s have ever had IMO, though Blair was a better defender than any of them.  But like I said, they weren’t on the field simultaneously all that often.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

You understand that I was only talking about defense, right?   And specifically, the defense when Anderson, Finley and Devereaux were on the field simultaneously.  That was the overall best outfield defensive alignment the O’s have ever had IMO, though Blair was a better defender than any of them.  But like I said, they weren’t on the field simultaneously all that often.  

Ya I do... I should have done a double quote for the other poster. My apologies. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Ya I do... I should have done a double quote for the other poster. My apologies. 

@Frobby always treats us with respect when he responds and your apologies are well taken by this octogenarian.  😇

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

Yeah i remember those guys on Sportscenter top 10 seemingly 2 or 3 times a week making another stupid ass catch

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Wouldn't want to be in a poker game with Mike Elias.

Adley and Jackson give him Ace-Jack in the hole ~6-8 consecutive hands, and so far we've got fold-check-check.     Some loss of equity may have occurred the last 2 seasons.    

Granted that 3rd hand is just the deal.    I am still hopeful they are strong tight players, but we'll see if any sheep to shark actions occur this year.     

2 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Adley and Jackson give him Ace-Jack in the hole ~6-8 consecutive hands, and so far we've got fold-check-check.     Some loss of equity may have occurred the last 2 seasons.    

Granted that 3rd hand is just the deal.    I am still hopeful they are strong tight players, but we'll see if any sheep to shark actions occur this year.     

If you never deviate from playing tight you tend to end up losing slowly instead of winning.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

On 1/4/2024 at 11:17 PM, Frobby said:

Agreed.  Hands down the best defensive OF I've seen in Baltimore (I'm 58).  It was a treat to witness, though, as you said, not all that often.