Spring Training Recommendations Wanted.

George Zuverink

After having a kidney removed ( leading to the surprising good news of no cancer) and receiving payment for the sale of our business’ IP. My wife of 56 years became an avid O’a watcher for the first time in 2023. I’m  thinking about spending a week following the O’s in spring training.

We know the area North of Tampa a bit having lived briefly in Palm Harbor and Dunedin. We had a long weekend in Sarasota once that was marked by a crazy red tide bloom.

I’d deeply appreciate recommendations about places to stay and eat and things to do when not watching the O’s. Nice, safe, comfortable, convenient , and delicious but not five star stuff. My IP was brilliant, but not insanely valuable .

Edited by George Zuverink

• George Zuverink changed the title to Spring Training Recommendations Wanted.

This will be my third winter vacationing in St. Petersburg, where my wife’s brother and sister now live.  It’s a little less than an hour from there to Ed Smith Stadium in Sarasota.  St. Pete is a bit more lively than Sarasota.   There’s a street called Central Avenue there that’s lined with restaurants, and a concrete pier down at the water that has restaurants as well, and the cross-streets nearby the pier are very lively.  It’s an easy drive from there to Sarasota, Clearwater (Phillies), Dunedin (Blue Jays) or Bradenton (Pirates).   I’ll be down for 12 days in March and plan to catch an O’s - Phillies game in Clearwater and 3 other games in Sarasota.  The Dali Museum there is really cool and they have a couple of other museums, one focused on art of the American West, that are really nice.  

As to Sarasota, there are lots of nice restaurants at St. Armand’s Circle.  The Ringling Museum is enjoyable and there are some beautiful gardens including the Marie Selby Botanical Gardens.  There’s a huge state park about 10 miles Southwest of downtown called Myakka River State Park that is off the same road where the O’s minor league training facility, Twins Lake Park, is located.  The park has a fun boat tour of a big lake inside the park that’s full of alligators and other wildlife, and there are also nice hiking trails there.  You can do that park and also check out the MiL spring training facility while you’re out that way. 

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This will be my third winter vacationing in St. Petersburg, where my wife’s brother and sister now live.  It’s a little less than an hour from there to Ed Smith Stadium in Sarasota.  St. Pete is a bit more lively than Sarasota.   There’s a street called Central Avenue there that’s lined with restaurants, and a concrete pier down at the water that has restaurants as well, and the cross-streets nearby the pier are very lively.  It’s an easy drive from there to Sarasota, Clearwater (Phillies), Dunedin (Blue Jays) or Bradenton (Pirates).   I’ll be down for 12 days in March and plan to catch an O’s - Phillies game in Clearwater and 3 other games in Sarasota.  The Dali Museum there is really cool and they have a couple of other museums, one focused on art of the American West, that are really nice.  

As to Sarasota, there are lots of nice restaurants at St. Armand’s Circle.  The Ringling Museum is enjoyable and there are some beautiful gardens including the Marie Selby Botanical Gardens.  There’s a huge state park about 10 miles Southwest of downtown called Myakka River State Park that is off the same road where the O’s minor league training facility, Twins Lake Park, is located.  The park has a fun boat tour of a big lake inside the park that’s full of alligators and other wildlife, and there are also nice hiking trails there.  You can do that park and also check out the MiL spring training facility while you’re out that way. 

Thanks for the thorough answer. Maybe I’ll take a look at staying in St. Petersburg. I am leaning towards March also, after first cuts but before second, ideally. I’d love to meet The Voice of Reason while we’re there.

It has been a couple of years (last time I went was 2020), but there was a fantastic Mexican restaurant across the street from Ed Smith Stadium.

I can vouch for the minor league complex. I don't know what access is like now, but there are four fields that have their back stops close to each other. You can sit on the bleachers and watch 2 games at once, and look around as often as you want. Minor league players would also sit in the bleachers. I sat next to Ryan Mountcastle and Alex Wells one game, and Chris Clare's grandfather another. During one time, Wells happened to look over at a game behind us and saw a foul ball coming right at us, so I got the Australian warning of "heads up, mate!"

Dunedin was an interesting stadium, with the "floating" walkway in the outfield.

25 minutes ago, George Zuverink said:

Thanks for the thorough answer. Maybe I’ll take a look at staying in St. Petersburg. I am leaning towards March also, after first cuts but before second, ideally. I’d love to meet The Voice of Reason while we’re there.

Let me know which town you decide to stay in and I’ll see about restaurant recommendations.  I can easily get some for St. Pete from my sister in law. Sarasota I may need to remind myself of where we ate when we stayed there.  I also have a friend who lives down there (Siesta Key just off Sarasota) I can ask.  

43 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

It has been a couple of years (last time I went was 2020), but there was a fantastic Mexican restaurant across the street from Ed Smith Stadium.

I can vouch for the minor league complex. I don't know what access is like now, but there are four fields that have their back stops close to each other. You can sit on the bleachers and watch 2 games at once, and look around as often as you want. Minor league players would also sit in the bleachers. I sat next to Ryan Mountcastle and Alex Wells one game, and Chris Clare's grandfather another. During one time, Wells happened to look over at a game behind us and saw a foul ball coming right at us, so I got the Australian warning of "heads up, mate!"

Dunedin was an interesting stadium, with the "floating" walkway in the outfield.

Thanks  i used to pedal just next to the Dunedin stadium on a long paved bike path, before I had my second near fatal crash That was before the O’s moved to Sarasota.

We have been going for several years and will be there again this year. So here are my recommendations: 

Hotel - Carlisle Inn - reasonably priced beautiful hotel with outstanding service, only a couple of miles from the stadium. 

Things to do in the area - Siesta Key Beach, St. Armand's Circle, Mote Aquarium, Peace River Airboat Tours, too many other things to list. 

Restaurants -  Gecko's, Walt's Fish Market Restaurant and Tiki Bar, Solorzano's Pizzeria, Madfish Grill, Der Dutchman (for breakfast buffet and fresh bakery)

I hope this helps. Enjoy your visit. 

Edited by GBO'sFan

1 hour ago, GBO'sFan said:

We have been going for several years and will be there again this year. So here are my recommendations: 

Hotel - Carlisle Inn - reasonably priced beautiful hotel with outstanding service, only a couple of miles from the stadium. 

Things to do in the area - Siesta Key Beach, St. Armand's Circle, Mote Aquarium, Peace River Airboat Tours, too many other things to list. 

Restaurants -  Gecko's, Walt's Fish Market Restaurant and Tiki Bar, Solorzano's Pizzeria, Madfish Grill, Der Dutchman (for breakfast buffet and fresh bakery)

I hope this helps. Enjoy your visit. 

Thanks. Sounds like my kind of eating places.

Our regular stops in Sarasota are twin lakes, lido beach, columbia at st armand's circle, orioles games at ed smith, sarasota jungle gardens, and Der Dutchman or yoders.   Siesta Key is nice, as is the beach in bradenton.  Pier 21 restaurant is good in bradenton, and you may want to visit pirate's spring camp at pirate city.

19 hours ago, George Zuverink said:

Sorry.  I won’t be there. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I spent 6 days in Sarasota at last years ST (my first!) and it was more than what I’d thought it was going to be.  Awesome experience, to say the least. 

For Twin Lakes, I spent 2 of my days there.  1st day, I walked into the main/office building and was greeted by a receptionist who had just started working there. She didn’t know much in terms of where/when/how to watch players and games but was a very nice lady. 

So, I just took the mentality of “walk around like you own the place” and see what happens. Walked around the side of the complex and made my way to that bleacher area. I was the only fan there each day. It was awesome as a former player and baseball enthusiast to get that close to the action. I had a couple of conversations with Creed Willems (we both live in TX), he signed a couple balls. I was also able to pick out  Basallo and Maikol Hernandez. They both signed a couple cards and balls as well. Overall, highly recommend checking out Twin Lakes, especially if you’re into the minor league side of things. Very unique and intimate experience.

One thing to note. They usually are done by around 2pm as the afternoon sun starts to get going. So plan to get there earlier in the day.

Enjoy your time there. Going again this year for 11 days this time. Cannot wait. 

• Upvote 3