O's 2023 roster vs 2024 roster

wildcard

I am reading a lot of boredom with the O's lack of movement this off season. Here are the players that are gone so far from the 2023 team.

(16)  Gibson, Frazier, Flaherty, Fuji, Voth, Lopez, Givens, Krehbiel, Gillespie, Garrett, Bazardo,Vallimont, Hicks, Lester, Bemboom, Kolozavary.

Here are the players that are likely to have expanded roles or new roles to replaces those players:

(18) GRod, Means, Kimbrel, Tate, Westburg, Ortiz, Cowser, Kjerstad, Hilliard, McDermott, Povich, Heasley. Holliday, Mayo, Norby, Haskin, Perez, Handley

Haskin is a right-handed outfielder with speed that can play CF/LF.  And he has options.

Looks like a lot of movement.

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 2

That's some quality spin, WC. :)

I do agree that due to the young roster, we don't really have many holes to fill or guys to acquire. 

But I think most people on the board aren't looking for wholesale changes - we all know there are only limited moves that make sense. So it's been agonizing to sit here knowing we only need one (1) SP to help protect this rotation and we haven't been able to get it done for whatever reason. 

We're only asking for the one move at this point! 

Every player on the second list aside from Kimbrel was already in the system even if they weren't on the roster. They may fill holes and/or improve over last year, but these are all contributions we would be already expecting. In my mind that does not constitute movement in the sense of improving the team during the offseason. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Every player on the second list aside from Kimbrel was already in the system even if they weren't on the roster. They may fill holes and/or improve over last year, but these are all contributions we would be already expecting. In my mind that does not constitute movement in the sense of improving the team during the offseason. 

That’s right. 

10 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Then you are overlooking what a development approach to improving the team does.  I think that is Elias mind set.   The only skills he wants to acquire is something that he has not been able to develop.    That is why Kimbrel is here.    

I agree the O's could use a SP.   But he has to fit into the team.   Elias is only interested in multiple year contracts at a certain price.   He would prefer one year contracts.  And he only has certain players he will trade.   It has to be in his terms or he will stick with what he has.  IMO

8 hours ago, wildcard said:

I am reading a lot of boredom with the O's lack of movement this off season. Here are the players that are gone so far from the 2023 team.

(16)  Gibson, Frazier, Flaherty, Fuji, Voth, Lopez, Givens, Krehbiel, Gillespie, Garrett, Bazardo,Vallimont, Hicks, Lester, Bemboom, Kolozavary.

Here are the players that are likely to have expanded roles or new roles to replaces those players:

(18) GRod, Means, Kimbrel, Tate, Westburg, Ortiz, Cowser, Kjerstad, Hilliard, McDermott, Povich, Heasley. Holliday, Mayo, Norby, Haskin, Perez, Handley

Haskin is a right-handed outfielder with speed that can play CF/LF.  And he has options.

Looks like a lot of movement.

This is pretty hilarious.  Letting a bunch of free agents walk and then assuming other guys in the organization will fill their roles isn’t “movement.”   It’s the very definition of offseason inactivity.   I’m not saying it’s a bad strategy, but calling that “movement” is right out of George Orwrll’s 1984.   

Edited by Frobby

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This is pretty hilarious.  Letting a bunch of free agents walk and then assuming other guys in the organization will fill their roles isn’t “movement.”   It’s the very definition of offseason inactivity.   I’m not saying it’s a bad strategy, but calling that “movement” is right out of George Orwrll’s 1984.   

This is wildcard's world and we're just living in it. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Then you are overlooking what a development approach to improving the team does.  I think that is Elias mind set.   The only skills he wants to acquire is something that he has not been able to develop.    That is why Kimbrel is here.    

I agree the O's could use a SP.   But he has to fit into the team.   Elias is only interested in multiple year contracts at a certain price.   He would prefer one year contracts.  And he only has certain players he will trade.   It has to be in his terms or he will stick with what he has.  IMO

Elias is telling you that he feels Cease is a fit and wants him and you don’t think we should trade for him.

You talk about how good he is at developing but then you don’t want to trade anyone (Norby and Stowers don’t count) and are afraid to lose guys. 

None of this makes any sense and one thought leads to inconsistencies of another.

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It is movement.   Players that were on the team are not here.   Players that were in the minors or were out most of last year with injuries will play.    Its not standing still.     It is a strategy.   It a way to keep players for up to 6 years.   

You want to call it turnout, fine.    But it is not standing still.  Its improving through development.

14 minutes ago, interloper said:

This is wildcard's world and we're just living in it. 

I think he had plastic surgery to have those Orange colored contacts permanently attached and an orange Koolaid tattoo placed on his forehead so he can see it everytime he looks in the mirror. 

@wildcard no offense … I appreciate your optimism 

Edited by Roll Tide

12 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I think he had plastic surgery to have those Orange colored contacts permanently attached and an orange Koolaid tattoo placed on his forehead so he can see it everytime he looks in the mirror. 

@wildcard no offense … I appreciate your optimism 

No its early teen indoctrination.    Going through the 1966-1971 O's glory years has had a lasting impression.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

It is movement.   Players that were on the team are not here.   Players that were in the minors or were out most of last year with injuries will play.    Its not standing still.     It is a strategy.   It a way to keep players for up to 6 years.   

You want to call it turnout, fine.    But it is not standing still.  Its improving through development.

I guess if I stand in one place all day I’ve actually traveled the entire circumference of the planet while the Earth was spinning on its axis.