Orioles close to acquiring Corbin Burnes (Update: Acquired for Joey Ortiz and DL Hall)

ThisIsBirdland

7 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I like this deal way better than signing Lorenzen.

For the first time in 20 years of posting, I’ve given out my rep limit tonight.  So many great lines in this thread and this was one of the best.  I’ll get you tomorrow!

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

For my money, the problem with the pen is the quality, moreso than the quantity. 

I have full faith that Elias/Sig will be able to fill out a perfectly workable full-season bullpen with what they’ve got — particularly given that there will likely be a surprisingly effective addition or two to the personnel between now and summertime. 

But my concern is the top 3-4 guys that will carry most of the weight in October. I’m not sure we have the high-end arms to lean on in those postseason matchups — in much the same way that our 2023 starting rotation seemed to have been built more for the long haul than for the short sprint. Bit of a bummer that our one Burnes year happens to be our one Bautista-less year.

Would really love to add one more power arm to the back-end of the pen. Maybe that’s more of a trade deadline move for Elias/Sig, though.

I am wondering what version of Keegan Aken we will get in 2024. During his career, he's had some very good moments to help the team. He's also had some bad moments. And everything in between. Just wondering if he will be helpful.

4 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I am wondering what version of Keegan Aken we will get in 2024. During his career, he's had some very good moments to help the team. He's also had some bad moments. And everything in between. Just wondering if he will be helpful.

I am by far not a professional athlete nor am I fit. Looking at Akin it seems like fitness has been key for him. He’s sure not Matt Albers but I believe this has something to do with inconsistency.

Edited by Rbiggs2525

Just extend Holliday and let’s watch him win ROY.

Burnes, Bradish, Grayson, Means, Kremer

Kimbrel, Cano, Wells, Tate, Baumann, Coloumbe, Perez, Irvin

vs RHP

1. Holliday 2B L

2. Adley C S

3. Gunnar SS L

4. Santander RF S

5. Mountcastle 1B R

6. O’Hearn DH L

7. Hays LF R

8. Mullins CF L

9. Westburg 2B R

McCann, Urias, Mateo, Hilliard

• Like 1

I really like this trade. We traded our guys to a top rate organization who will develop them. Hall may turn into Hader and Ortiz becomes a good starting middle infielder. In the end I believe this trade works out for both teams.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Watch Joey Ortiz become one of the top fielding shortstops in baseball. Like Bradish said after Ortiz made that phenomenal diving catch. (To paraphrase) - "I've seen him do that time after time coming up in the minors. We've gotten used to it. He's a security blanket back there."

I get it. But it wouldn't happen here. He's buried. 

I like the trade because we're in a win now window. Ask me a few years ago and I would have said I'd rather keep the youngins, but we have a real shot in 2024 and Burnes could be a huge part of that. 

20 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Watch Joey Ortiz become one of the top fielding shortstops in baseball. Like Bradish said after Ortiz made that phenomenal diving catch. (To paraphrase) - "I've seen him do that time after time coming up in the minors. We've gotten used to it. He's a security blanket back there."

Brewers are about to trade Adames for a nice package and may not even see a drop off in overall production.

• Upvote 1

On 12/7/2023 at 12:00 AM, Billy F-Face3 said:

Or trade for Corbin Burnes and call it a day.

On 7/30/2023 at 11:22 AM, Billy F-Face3 said:

In a fantasy world, I dream of them pulling off a surprise trade for Max Fried or Corbin Burnes right before the trade deadline.

It's nice to have fantasies, or so that's what she said. 

Fantasies do come true. I'm about to put on my satin robe and smoke a cigar before bed.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Why does his baseball ref page say he's not a free agent until 2025 but I see elsewhere that's he's a free agent now? And isn't he missing most of the season? 

Not sure. He had 3 years 54 million option left on deal but they declined it due to injury.

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Why does his baseball ref page say he's not a free agent until 2025 but I see elsewhere that's he's a free agent now? And isn't he missing most of the season? 

Brewers non-tendered him in Nov. and he became a FA. He's out for the 2024 season.

• Thanks 1