Hays Interested in Extension

Bird Lady

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Only if they are also injury prone.

If you are talking about Hays, I am really sick of that narrative.  Hays is 52nd in games played among all position players in MLB over the last three years.  

As to “mediocre” (not your word), I think that’s pretty unkind to Hays.  Nobody’s saying he’s a star, but he’s a very solid player.  

I’m not making these points to argue that we should extend him.  I just don’t like to see him treated so dismissively.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

If you are talking about Hays, I am really sick of that narrative.  Hays is 52nd in games played among all position players in MLB over the last three years.  

As to “mediocre” (not your word), I think that’s pretty unkind to Hays.  Nobody’s saying he’s a star, but he’s a very solid player.  

I’m not making these points to argue that we should extend him.  I just don’t like to see him treated so dismissively.  

It's in jest.

We really don't need to reach to find reasons to not extend Hays.

Question... who would you rather offer a contract extension... Hays or Mullins?

I'd have to say Hays. I think Bradfield will eventually step into that igniter role. 

EDIT: I typed Mullins first, I meant I would extend Hays

Edited by Jagwar
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Question... who would you rather offer a contract extension... Hays or Mullins?

I'd have to say Mullins. I think Bradfield will eventually step into that igniter role. 

Neither really.   But if I had to choose one I'd pick Hays, depending on the contract details of course.  Mullins ability is so dependent on his speed, I think he falls off quicker than Hays.

2 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Neither really.   But if I had to choose one I'd pick Hays, depending on the contract details of course.  Mullins ability is so dependent on his speed, I think he falls off quicker than Hays.

I meant Hays too 🙂

Hays and Mullins commanding the same 2024 salary as 2026 free agents to be when I think Mullins is probably heading towards many, many multiples of the FA guarantee Hays will get is an interesting outcome illustrating gaps between what Arb and front offices value.

Parking Lot Ced's .172 career ISO is about 50 more than Kenny Lofton's.     He could use his legs holding up well to beat Bryan Reynolds.

I do suspect if EBJ is up in 2025 he'll play a corner for a minute if it is close enough.    It would give Elias an opportunity to do a longtime contributor a solid and let Mullins arrive unblemished to market as a CF.     Today, there's what....6 centerfielders in the world who are better than him?

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Hays is a good player, but he's the exact guy who you keep giving one year contracts to especially with Cowser, Bradfield, Beavers, Horvath and maybe even Norby as possible replacements. 

He’s also exactly the type of guy you don’t pay arb 2(depending on cost) And especially arb 3 money to.  He is the type of guy you should be able to produce and get similar production for a fraction of that cost.

The Os don’t have the luxury of spending a lot of money on a guy like Hays. I don’t mind this year’s salary but it’s borderline imo. 2025? An extension?  Shouldn’t even be a consideration.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1