Reimold a likely Sept call-up?

wildcard

This is Nolan Reimold third year in the minor s and he was signed as a 21 year old college player, so I would think he needs to be protected on the major league roster next year anyway. I think this would mean that the O's will call-up Reimold for a look see in Sept.

I know that MLB made some changes last year to the CBA in this area. So I could be wrong about this.

Does anyone agree? Disagree?

This is Nolan Reimold third year in the minor s and he was signed as a 21 year old college player, so I would think he needs to be protected on the major league roster next year anyway. I think this would mean that the O's will call-up Reimold for a look see in Sept.

I know that MLB made some changes last year to the CBA in this area. So I could be wrong about this.

I think he is gonna real have to be tearing up Bowie to get a call up. Even then I doubt it they want him to get at-bats which he wont get by joining an expanded roster. I look for him to certainly go to a fall league then get a look in spring training.

He'll be playing somewhere after the Bowie season ends but I'd be very surprised if it were in Baltimore rather than a fall league. I hope many of you were able to watch the game last night on CN8. Everything about his approach screams Major Leagues; at least to me.

A lot of the Trenton/New York media were very excited to actually see the guy play last night. Needless to say, he did not disappoint.

The new CBA has made the change to 4 and 5 years (for players signed before their 18th birthday) for how long a ballclub has a player before they must be protected from the Rule 5 Draft. I doubt they grandfathered existing players already in a system, so they have until the end of 2008 before he has to be protected.

What with the number of games that Reimold will have played this year, more than likely they will give him September off after Bowie shutdown and than send him the AFL to get additional ABs.

I doubt a September call-up will be made...

The new CBA has made the change to 4 and 5 years (for players signed before their 18th birthday) for how long a ballclub has a player before they must be protected from the Rule 5 Draft. I doubt they grandfathered existing players already in a system, so they have until the end of 2008 before he has to be protected.

What with the number of games that Reimold will have played this year, more than likely they will give him September off after Bowie shutdown and than send him the AFL to get additional ABs.

I doubt a September call-up will be made...

Thanks Mark for clearing that up. I am think that if Nolan has a very good August at AA the O's may call him up for a look see. The reason is that the O's are in a little bit of a payroll bind. Many of the O's signed to long term contracts get increases next year. These increases put them at somewhere around $90M before they sign a centerfielder, upgrade left field, DH or the backup catcher.

Making Reimold the starting leftfielder with Payton as the 4th OF helps this problem somewhat. Plugging these holes with cheap young players is one solution. I am not saying that the O's would rush Nolan, but rather a Sept call up would be a good time to gauge his progress.

The O's will not be wasting an option by looking at him in Sept even if they decide he is not ready. He has to be put on the major league roster by the Rule 5 draft anyway.

I believe that with the injury that sat him out for 3 months he won't be called up but will be sent to Arizona Fall League.

I'm hopeful with Reimold but have any of you ever seen a guy with this many strikeouts at the minor league level really turn into a regular in the majors?

I remember a while back how it was described that he struggles to make consistent contact and then I looked at his K% and it really isn't bad at all. Power hitters who walk a lot generally will K a lot. There are exceptions of course.

Reimold's K% by year:

05, 21, A- - 20.8%

05, 21, A+ - 27.8% (83 ABs)

06, 22, A+ - 21.3%

07, 23, AA - 21.7%

Not great, but certainly not something to be overly concerned about.

Just some random players the past year or two who have enjoyed some success:

Curtis Granderson, 24, AAA - 25.6%

Chris Duncan, 23, 24, 25, AA, AAA, AAA - 20.7, 20.8, 25.7

Brad Hawpe, 25, AAA - 23.5%

Luke Scott, 27, AAA - 21.4%

Hunter Pence, 22, A+ - 21.6%

Corey Hart, 24, AAA - 21.9%

Ryan Howard, 24, 24, 25, AA, AAA, AAA - 29.8, 29.1, 25.7

Ryan Braun, 21, 22, A, A+ - 20.5, 21

Josh Fields, 22, 23, 24, AA, AAA, AAA - 25.4, 25.8, 24

Mark Teahan, 22, AAA - 25.2%

My main worry about Reimold is his ability to hit for average (and the Ks do play somewhat of a role in that) and his inability to stay healthy. He is hitting for average so far in limited ABs, but he hasn't stayed healthy this year.

Nolan seems to have picked up right where he left off at Bowie and as Tony posted in the tracker has a .950 OPS thru 28 games. I still dont expect him to be a Sept call up he needs more at bats but is he starting to become a real option for LF in 2008? That would cure so many problems!

Reimold certainly is tearing it up since his return. If he keeps it up for the rest of this month, I think the O's should give him 100 at bats at the major league level in September, to see if he looks ready for the major leagues. No need to sign a veteran LF over the offseason if Reimold is ready.

Whether he gets a call up, Reimold's recent hitting is one of the best things to happen to the organization this season.

Reimold was 4-5 last night, with two 3-run homers. But what impressed me most was this quote:

“I’m just trying to take advantage of mistakes," Reimold said. "After my first at bat I was just saying to myself I needed to see some more pitches because I was swinging too early in the counts. I was just trying to work myself into good counts and I did tonight.”

Maybe he should be promoted to the O's so he can explain this very basic key to successful hitting to some of the O's players....;)

Reimold was 4-5 last night, with two 3-run homers. But what impressed me most was this quote:

“I’m just trying to take advantage of mistakes," Reimold said. "After my first at bat I was just saying to myself I needed to see some more pitches because I was swinging too early in the counts. I was just trying to work myself into good counts and I did tonight.”

Maybe he should be promoted to the O's so he can explain this very basic key to successful hitting to some of the O's players....;)

Oh God. Get this man traded immediately, before Crowley ruins his indomitably patient spirit.

Archived