Kyle Bradish Has Sprained UCL, Will Start Season On IL (4/9 Update: Assigned rehab assignment w/Aberdeen)

DrinkinWithFermi

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Because a 20 something year old player isn't (and shouldn't be) in a position to make that call. If you had a 21 year old son who still lived with you would you let him make all your important decisions for you?

Moose: Hey, son I'm thinking of investing all of my retirement money into NFTs. Whadaya think?

Moose, Jr.: Yeah Dad, do it. That would be lit.  NFT's are fire. 

Moose: Done!

I think you're painting with a broad brush to make a point that you don't know if it really exists or not.

I prefer to think that even though that guys like Gunnar and Adley are young, they're also mature beyond their years and professional.  And if they think they can get along with a guy like Bauer and he can help the team win, that's fine, too.

That's a far cry from having a 21 year old son making decisions about NFTs for me.  

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think you're painting with a broad brush to make a point that you don't know if it really exists or not.

I prefer to think that even though that guys like Gunnar and Adley are young, they're also mature beyond their years and professional.  And if they think they can get along with a guy like Bauer and he can help the team win, that's fine, too.

That's a far cry from having a 21 year old son making decisions about NFTs for me.  

Ummmm

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

There’s two issues with Bauer.

1.  His unusual sexual preferences and the controversy surrounding it. 

2.  His personality.  Totally separate from point 1, he’s been seen as a standoffish, selfish teammate in some quarters.   

I think Elias is in a better position than the O’s young players to gather information on point 2 and consider how it would impact team chemistry.  Not to mention, assessing what kind of pitcher Bauer is now.   

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's not the age, necessarily. I think the issue is that Elias is basically Gunnar and Adley's boss. Those guys have some clout as stars, but Elias is still making the big decisions about where Gunnar plays, how much rest Adley gets, lineup spots, etc. If Elias goes to them and says, "I'm thinking about making this move, are you on board or not?" are they really empowered to say no?

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think a more salient point would be that Elias and ownership have access to findings in the MLB investigation while the players do not.  

Just now, Moshagge3 said:

If Elias goes to them and says, "I'm thinking about making this move, are you on board or not?" are they really empowered to say no?

They're gonna have to be.  They're looked at as the future leaders and franchise cornerstones of this club and that's not something that is going to wait around for them to be comfortable with before stepping into.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

There’s two issues with Bauer.

1.  His unusual sexual preferences and the controversy surrounding it. 

2.  His personality.  Totally separate from point 1, he’s been seen as a standoffish, selfish teammate in some quarters.   

I think Elias is in a better position than the O’s young players to gather information on point 2 and consider how it would impact team chemistry.  Not to mention, assessing what kind of pitcher Bauer is now.   

I don't care about his sexual preferences, weird as they are. 

Mookie Betts is on record as loving Trevor Bauer.  Liam Hendriks feels that he's misunderstood.  Amir Garrett liked him.  Justin Dunn thinks he's smart as hell.  etc, etc

https://www.instagram.com/p/CK7IuzhB8Zq/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=embed_video_watch_again

So I think Elias is in a good position to gather information on Point 2.  There are supporters out there as well as detractors. 

If they were to bring in Bauer (I personally don't feel like they have any interest in doing so and Bauer will never pitch in the MLB again), Elias shoulders the responsibility for pulling the trigger on that decision but it's a decision that will be made after the analytics department, Hyde, the coaching staff and some of the leaders on the team have been consulted.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

They're gonna have to be.  They're looked at as the future leaders and franchise cornerstones of this club and that's not something that is going to wait around for them to be comfortable with before stepping into.  

I don't care about his sexual preferences, weird as they are. 

Mookie Betts is on record as loving Trevor Bauer.  Liam Hendriks feels that he's misunderstood.  Amir Garrett liked him.  Justin Dunn thinks he's smart as hell.  etc, etc

https://www.instagram.com/p/CK7IuzhB8Zq/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=embed_video_watch_again

So I think Elias is in a good position to gather information on Point 2.  There are supporters out there as well as detractors. 

If they were to bring in Bauer (I personally don't feel like they have any interest in doing so and Bauer will never pitch in the MLB again), Elias shoulders the responsibility for pulling the trigger on that decision but it's a decision that will be made after the analytics department, Hyde, the coaching staff and some of the leaders on the team have been consulted.  

I'd be willing to bet that everyone has some sort of "thing" about them that, that if strangers found out, someone would be like, that guy is a weirdo or freak. Chapman, Osuna, Ozuna, Familia, Jose Reyes, and on and on have all been suspended for DV allegations. People are still throwing money at some of these guys. Weren't people saying we should take a flyer on Domingo German? 81 games, himself.

1 hour ago, MDS29 said:

Any update on Seth Johnson? He's coming off Tommy John, but thought he was projected as a back-end starter by some.

He’s healthy, but far too inexperienced to consider as a rotation option going into 2024.   Maybe towards year end if all goes perfectly, but frankly, McDermott, Povich and even Armbruester are more likely to be ready to help the rotation in 2024.   Johnson might be useful in the bullpen.  

My take on Bauer is he was a loud mouthed kid who got himself into bed with an extortionist who painted him in a very ugly light, most of which (maybe not all, but most) was untrue. 

He may not be a rocket scientist but I also don't think he's learned nothing. I think it's a "run it through the clubhouse and see if they'd be offended" type thing.

This isn't a Ray Rice situation.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

My take on Bauer is he was a loud mouthed kid who got himself into bed with an extortionist who painted him in a very ugly light, most of which (maybe not all, but most) was untrue. 

He may not be a rocket scientist but I also don't think he's learned nothing. I think it's a "run it through the clubhouse and see if they'd be offended" type thing.

I haven't seen evidence that he's learned anything.

Why piss off the Japanese fans for no gain?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

They'd have to get input from the leaders on the team.  I mean, you can't run this by Ryan McKenna.

Adley, Gunnar, Tony, Hays, Mullins and now Burnes, I suppose. 

• Upvote 1