Cole Irvin: “I’m not saying I’m in the best shape of my life”

Frobby

8 minutes ago, IPlayGM said:

Is it crazy to think that Irvin will be more effective this year as a starter than Means? And I’m not coming from a place where I am super down on Means, just expecting a good year from Irvin.

Ha I was just coming here to say he’ll be what we thought Means would be this year. I’m not super high on Means this year. I expect from him about what we got last year. 

3 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Irvin looked really good yesterday, but man people will really jump to wild conclusions based on two innings.

One thing we know is that he’s capable of throwing 180 innings.  And, it’s objectively true that he’s picked up a couple of mph.  So, I wouldn’t jump to any conclusions, but there are reasons to hope he could fill a rotation spot capably if needed.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Frobby said:

One thing we know is that he’s capable of throwing 180 innings.  And, it’s objectively true that he’s picked up a couple of mph.  So, I wouldn’t jump to any conclusions, but there are reasons to hope he could fill a rotation spot capably if needed.  

Right.   I'm basing my previous post on past experience, not the 2 innings he threw yesterday.

21 minutes ago, IPlayGM said:

Is it crazy to think that Irvin will be more effective this year as a starter than Means? And I’m not coming from a place where I am super down on Means, just expecting a good year from Irvin.

Irvin has 2 seasons of about 180 innings.

Means has never been above 150 innings.

Reliability is easily on Irvin’s side.

Pre surgery, Means was easily the better pitcher but we don’t know what his stuff his post surgery and these setbacks that he has had.

So I don’t think it’s crazy because Means is just an unknown at this point.