Spring Training Recaps

cboemmeljr

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Lots of guys have great arms…he needs to pitch and show some level of consistency. I’m glad he can do it for an inning or 2 but need to see so much more.

Very true.  He’s got the stuff, he needs to show he has the make-up to execute when the lights are on.  

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

CSW% is both an ST smoke screen and part of Povich track record.  What's more interesting to me is that he threw 5 pitches more than 17% of the time.  Chris Bassitt-esque...

6 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

CSW% is both an ST smoke screen and part of Povich track record.  What's more interesting to me is that he threw 5 pitches more than 17% of the time.  Chris Bassitt-esque...

I mean I guess…I’d like to see him master 2 pitches first..and then work on the rest.

He needs fastball command first and foremost.

54 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I mean I guess…I’d like to see him master 2 pitches first..and then work on the rest.

He needs fastball command first and foremost.

No doubt.  I was referring to pitch mix.  Bassitt had low BB% his first two seasons in the ML.  But he had confidence to throw his pitches too.  

5 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

No doubt.  I was referring to pitch mix.  Bassitt had low BB% his first two seasons in the ML.  But he had confidence to throw his pitches too.  

Don’t get me wrong, I like that has the ability to throw 5 pitches. 

Povich is maddening to me, both in terms of how he’s viewed by some fans and just his overall performance.

I see people talking about him like he is total garbage and some saying he’s going to start this year.

How about we just get back to back good performances?  I think he ended up doing that one time near the end of last year but that was and I believe still is the only time he really did that.

He’s got a great arm but he’s not super young either. He’s getting close (not there yet) to being “this is likely who he is” territory. I want to see the strides made with his controL and command and you wonder if the idea of him throwing 5 pitching is holding him back on doing this. I want this guy throwing fastballs  65-70% of the time right now. He has got to establish that pitch and get command of that and then build from there.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s got a great arm but he’s not super young either. He’s getting close (not there yet) to being “this is likely who he is” territory. I want to see the strides made with his controL and command and you wonder if the idea of him throwing 5 pitching is holding him back on doing this. I want this guy throwing fastballs  65-70% of the time right now. He has got to establish that pitch and get command of that and then build from there.

I dunno, I feel like starting pitchers are way more likely to figure things out later in their 20s than hitters, or if they don't, they have a shot at being a bullpen arm. Tyler Wells is a good example. 

Like, if Povich puts up a similar age 24 season this year to his age 23 season, I'm not giving up on the guy. He could just be someone that pops at age 26 like a lot of SPs. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I dunno, I feel like starting pitchers are way more likely to figure things out later in their 20s than hitters, or if they don't, they have a shot at being a bullpen arm. Tyler Wells is a good example. 

Like, if Povich puts up a similar age 24 season this year to his age 23 season, I'm not giving up on the guy. He could just be someone that pops at age 26 like a lot of SPs. 

I knew someone would say this and honestly, I don’t necessarily disagree. I mean, I still felt Hall should start this year, so I’m not saying you write off Povich.

But this is a college arm who has thrown 240 innings the last 2 years and his control actually got worse.

He needs to start showing some strides to improving that control and command. He turns 24 next month. It’s going to be tough to believe he’s a starter if a year from now, well he is coming off a year with a 5+ BB rate.  

He has so much you like. There are some underlying numbers that are really nice and something to build on but a lot of games, he has no idea where the ball is going.  That can’t keep up. He need to make those strides to improving that. 

If he can, he may be a TOR starter.

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

To continue the Bassitt-theme (rightly/wrongly), he was 26 for his debut season.

1 minute ago, btdart20 said:

To continue the Bassitt-theme (rightly/wrongly), he was 26 for his debut season.

Erik Bedard came up at 25 but wasn't truly good until 26 and 27. Similarly, Kremer didn't pop until 26. It's pretty common. 

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Don’t get me wrong, I like that has the ability to throw 5 pitches. 

Povich is maddening to me, both in terms of how he’s viewed by some fans and just his overall performance.

I see people talking about him like he is total garbage and some saying he’s going to start this year.

How about we just get back to back good performances?  I think he ended up doing that one time near the end of last year but that was and I believe still is the only time he really did that.

Great post.  This is a huge year for Povich and he really needs to pull it all together on a much more consistent basis this season.  

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Erik Bedard came up at 25 but wasn't truly good until 26 and 27. Similarly, Kremer didn't pop until 26. It's pretty common. 

Bedard put up very good MiL stats.

Kremer had a sub 4 MiL career ERA and his career MiL walk rate was 3.

Totally different circumstances here.

9 minutes ago, interloper said:

Bedard missed about 15 months with TJ surgery.  He was way more dominant in the minors than Povich.  He essentially jumped from having a half season of AA to then being in the majors with TJ in between, so it’s not surprising that it took him a while to find his bearings.  Povich is having a healthier glide path so far.  I do agree that lots of pitchers have ups and downs before figuring it out.

Edited by Frobby

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Bedard put up very good MiL stats.

Kremer had a sub 4 MiL career ERA and his career MiL walk rate was 3.

Totally different circumstances here.

Fair. Povich does need to show he can at least succeed at AAA. 

On 3/3/2024 at 10:43 AM, OriolesMagic83 said:

Can Elias find a job for Duquette doing something?

He was really good at the Rule 5 thing and trading for guys like Bud Norris, Alejando D'Aza and Gerardo Parra.  Is that what we can have him do again?