The Kjerstad/Cowser spring competition

Frobby

2 hours ago, Say O! said:

Noteworth that the HR was also vs LH pitcher.

This dichotomy (3Ks and a mammoth HR) is what makes Cowser a polarizing prospect among talent evaluators. He can look bad and superlative in the same game. 

A minor league LHP

The 3K were vs major league pitchers

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Cowser had three terrible looking at bats today that ended in swinging strikeouts, then absolutely pulverized a 463-foot homer that cleared the batting eye well beyond the CF fence.  That’s at least the fourth homer of 440+ feet I can remember from him from last spring training to now, including a monster shot in the AAA championship game that looked at lot like the one today. 

That sounds like a trademark Ryan Mountcastle game.

Cowser had three terrible looking at bats today that ended in swinging strikeouts, then absolutely pulverized a 463-foot homer that cleared the batting eye well beyond the CF fence.  One thing about Cowser, he doesn’t hit a ton of homers, but when he gets a hold of one, he can really send it a long way.  That’s at least the fourth homer of 440+ feet I can remember from him from last spring training to now, including a monster shot in the AAA championship game that looked at lot like the one today.  

Kjerstad also had a nice day, three hits plus a hard hit line drive caught in fairly deep RCF.

That's why I've kinda chuckled when I've heard people say Cowser doesn't have plus power. He can absolutely cover a ball when he gets into one. That was an absolute bomb, and on two-strikes against a lefty.

• Upvote 1

Cowser had three terrible looking at bats today that ended in swinging strikeouts, then absolutely pulverized a 463-foot homer that cleared the batting eye well beyond the CF fence.  One thing about Cowser, he doesn’t hit a ton of homers, but when he gets a hold of one, he can really send it a long way.  That’s at least the fourth homer of 440+ feet I can remember from him from last spring training to now, including a monster shot in the AAA championship game that looked at lot like the one today.  

Kjerstad also had a nice day, three hits plus a hard hit line drive caught in fairly deep RCF.

The first K wasn't bad.  Crushed a foul ball, bad chase on a good pitch, then a good swing on a hittable high/in pitch.  Second K was bad.  Third K was on another high FB.

I know Cowser was made no promises today, but I think the last spot likely is between McKenna and Wong, and obviously McKenna hoping one of the other 29 Clubs liked what Wong put on tape.

So, preliminarily, tentative congratulations to Cowser earning a job in camp, or at least outlasting the main competition.

I believe at this hour Kolten Wong is no more an Oriole than Josh Harrison, recently rumored to be a Yankees utility infield candidate.   NYY has a small injury stack with DJ LeMahieu and Oswald Peraza both less than 100%.     The Yankees also saw Anthony Rizzo scratched today, and LeMahieu was a 3B/1B flex for them similar to our Ramon Urias at times last year.

I’m worried about Cowser.  He continues to show an inability to make contact or do damage on curves and changeups.  He’s 2 for his last 17 with 7 K’s as ST winds down.  When the season starts we’ll face 2 LHP and he’ll get sporadic AB’s.   Hopefully, he’ll get better like Gunnar did but he won’t be getting the same AB’s that Gunnar did.

Cowser needs to keep the same approach and at least hit the occasional home run.   I really am concerned whether he’ll actually hit.

35 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I’m worried about Cowser.  He continues to show an inability to make contact or do damage on curves and changeups.  He’s 2 for his last 17 with 7 K’s as ST winds down.  When the season starts we’ll face 2 LHP and he’ll get sporadic AB’s.   Hopefully, he’ll get better like Gunnar did but he won’t be getting the same AB’s that Gunnar did.

Cowser needs to keep the same approach and at least hit the occasional home run.   I really am concerned whether he’ll actually hit.

He will likely bat 9th vs these early LH starters and face them 1 or 2 times.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

He will likely bat 9th vs these early LH starters and face them 1 or 2 times.

Maybe.  I wouldn’t say likely.   He’s not spelling Santander or Hays against a lefty.  Cedric, this early in the season, lefty for lefty?   That leaves DH.   I’m skeptical.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Maybe.  I wouldn’t say likely.   He’s not spelling Santander or Hays against a lefty.  Cedric, this early in the season, lefty for lefty?   That leaves DH.   I’m skeptical.

Santander at DH

It is easy in the range of outcomes Cowser ends up a Lowenstein/O'Hearn type that has to be hidden from all LHP, and we could easily get there this season, but to the extent any Rookie Integration Plan pain looks like it is being accepted in the opening weeks, it is Cowser and I think he will have some runway to try and get the hang of MLB lefty arms.

A difference between O'Hearn and Cowser Thursday is I think no way O'Hearn faces Sandoval, and maybe Cowser will.    With yesterday's moves, Mateo, McCann and McKenna are perhaps the DH options to go with the basic 8:

Adley-Westburg-Gunnar-Mullins up the middle

Mountcastle-Urias-Hays-Santander on the corners

The Orioles hitting coaches, O'Hearn and Cowser have almost a week to small group focus if they can do anything against Sandoval from the bottom of the lineup.

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

Santander at DH

Just saying. First 10 games of the season I’ll be surprised to see Cowser get more than one start against a LHP.  In fact, one will surprise me.   I expect McCann or Mateo before Cowser.