Assuming he starts the year at AAA, how would you utilize Coby Mayo?

Jim'sKid26

Just now, Sports Guy said:

And if you use OAA, he’s not close to elite. 

Too much noise in any defensive stat, especially in a SSS, to draw definitive conclusions from them.

Absolutely and that is exactly what Frobby said.

7 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Absolutely and that is exactly what Frobby said.

And it’s what I have said several times as well.  It’s nothing new that you look at a variety of things.

Edited by Sports Guy

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Depends on what his splits are, I’d imagine. 

I think it is far more likely that O'Hearn regresses and Mayo becomes more or less the everyday 1B. I don't think there is any scenario where he should be a LHP-only platooner even "depending on his splits". If he has poor splits vs RHP then he should not be coming up. Fortunately he had a 1.009 OPS split vs RHP last year, actually a reverse split.

Could be something more like Mayo replacing optioned O'Hearn, with Norby coming up to be another bat should they find a buyer for Mountcastle. 

13 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I think it is far more likely that O'Hearn regresses and Mayo becomes more or less the everyday 1B. I don't think there is any scenario where he should be a LHP-only platooner even "depending on his splits". If he has poor splits vs RHP then he should not be coming up. Fortunately he had a 1.009 OPS split vs RHP last year, actually a reverse split.

Could be something more like Mayo replacing optioned O'Hearn, with Norby coming up to be another bat should they find a buyer for Mountcastle. 

I can see that.  

Options are nice things to have.

13 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Mayo has never been a big splits guy. That's one of the things that makes him special.

• Upvote 1

So I'm wondering a few things:

1) does he "grow out" of 3B? He's a big guy and moves pretty well right now at age 22. Does he have to move off 3B as he gets bigger/older and loses a bit of mobility? If that's the case, why not move him to 1B now?

2) does the bat play so well that getting him into the lineup in 2024 justifies the move to 1B or RF?

3) When considering when to start his service time clock, should the front office be considering how to stagger Holiday/Cowser/ Mayo to as not to have them all reach free agency at once?

5 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

So I'm wondering a few things:

1) does he "grow out" of 3B? He's a big guy and moves pretty well right now at age 22. Does he have to move off 3B as he gets bigger/older and loses a bit of mobility? If that's the case, why not move him to 1B now?

2) does the bat play so well that getting him into the lineup in 2024 justifies the move to 1B or RF?

3) When considering when to start his service time clock, should the front office be considering how to stagger Holiday/Cowser/ Mayo to as not to have them all reach free agency at once?

1) They should looking for the best way to get him in the lineup because he’s one of the best 9 players that they could put out there. In terms of his size and that question, the same thing can be said about Gunnar (potentially)

2) Yes

3) No…get these guys up here. Extend them and don’t worry about that.

11 hours ago, RZNJ said:

The Orioles need to decide if Westburg or Mayo is going to be the primary 3B.   If it’s Westburg, I’d have Mayo start learning RF at Norfolk.   

If it’s Mayo just have him continue to get reps at 3B and eventually transition Westburg to a jack of all trades.

I feel like Basallo will be the primary 1B by sometime next year.

They also have the option of Gunnar playing 3B and Holliday or Westburg playing SS in the future depending on how things go.

8 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

They also have the option of Gunnar playing 3B and Holliday or Westburg playing SS in the future depending on how things go.

Westburg is not a shortstop on any regular basis. He doesn't have the arm strength or mobility to play there in anything more than a fill in basis. No way Gunner moves off SS for him since they both are in the same boat of being big guys that will slow a bit as they get older.  

Now can Gunnar move Gunnar off SS one day? Maybe, but I don't think that's happening this year.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Westburg is not a shortstop on any regular basis. He doesn't have the arm strength or mobility to play there in anything more than a fill in basis. No way Gunner moves off SS for him since they both are in the same boat of being big guys that will slow a bit as they get older.  

Now can Gunnar move Gunnar off SS one day? Maybe, but I don't think that's happening this year.

Do you mean Holliday move Gunnar off?

And if Westburg doesn't have enough of an arm to play SS, I don’t know why people would think he has enough of an arm to be the everyday 3B. 

2 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Do you mean Holliday move Gunnar off?

And if Westburg doesn't have enough of an arm to play SS, I don’t know why people would think he has enough of an arm to be the everyday 3B. 

Yes, that was my mind putting the wrong name in there. 

As for SS vs 3B, you need more arm for SS than 3B because the throws are generally longer and from much different angles.