Great day to be an O’s fan

38 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

All of these things and when you open the popular threads on the board, they're all negative. I'm just as guilty of this as anyone, but this org is in such good shape right now. There shouldn't be so much negativity around here.

I understand that you would like more positivity from the fanbase at this time. But it also has to be acknowledged for almost 3 decades the things in the negative column (most loosing seasons, bad management, game where we gave up 30 runs, no WS appearance, no hall of fame players, very few elite players, allowing hall of fame talent like Mussina and Machado to leave for nothing, etc) kind of outweighed the positives (10 winning seasons, 2 ALCS appearances, Cal 2131, hosting all star game in '93, etc).

And even if we want to wipe the slate clean and just go with Elias' tenure, there was A LOT (historic) amount of loosing before the last couple of years. And even now with a team that won 101 games, we seem to be operating like a team afraid to go for it. 

This is not to mentioned "having the air let out of the tire" last offseason with no substantial moves made, last season during the trade deadline when the moves that we made actually brought in players who hurt more than helped, and us effectively punting on Free Agency this offseason. And then there is the Holliday and Mayo demotions followed by the head scratching Kemp addition. 

Last season JA did all he could to ruin the enjoyment of 101 wins with his opening day press conference, treatment of Kevin Brown, refusal to let go of the purse strings, and then his behavior regarding the renewal of the stadium lease.

All I am saying is that there is a context to much of the negativity and the Orioles have done their fair share to contribute to it.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, elextrano8 said:

I am not using on-field results to judge, I'm saying the position the team is in now, with Elias, the farm system, etc. There were definitely bad times, lots of them, and I would never claim otherwise.

And I do give PA credit specifically for MASN, he did foresee the whole Gnats thing and secured us something in exchange for losing such a huge chunk of our potential fan base.

You named a few things that Angelos did right. And credit to you for being so willing to be kind and generous to them regarding their legacy.

But for me I can't think of a fanbase off of the top of my head sans maybe the professional football franchise in Washington D.C. who has undergone a worse period for such a protracted extent of time.

From my perspective, there have been WAY MORE feel bad moments as an O's fan over the Angelos' tensure than feel good moments.

I'm sorry but our #1 farm system and 101 win regular season last year, does not come close to compensating for the misery we have endured for 3 decades as O's fans. At least not IMO.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The fact that you are defending that garbage post about THIS BOARD being the biggest apologists is pretty disheartening. As a long time member you know that it wrong and I would imagine would want to defend it instead of giving that poster his awful post any credence.

Just because people weren't going to dance on Peter Angelos' grave and some wanted to remember what they perceived as his good points as owner does not make this the biggest Peter Angelos fan club.

Nothing, and I mean nothing annoys me worse than when the board is generalized, especially when it's not even close to being right.

I'm not looking to pick a fight with you, but I just disagree.

This guy started a thread about it being a good day for the O's (referring to new ownership) and the first 4 replies were calling out his OP. 

I know it wasn't a perfect OP, but I get him having a reaction to that and I highly doubt that he literally meant to characterize this entire board as PA apologists. That was my read on it at least. 

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The one thing I will say about Peter vs his son is that I think Peter did care. He just didn’t have a clue as to how to run a team and didn’t want to trust anyone else to do it.

But he gave a damn about the team, city and most of the players.

I don’t think John cares about anything but money.

John's tenure was really frustrating mostly because of his inability to keep his mouth shut. He didn't learn from his father that it's best to STFU when it comes to the media. 

But he modernized the organization. He allowed significant change to occur. Change that was desperately needed. 

I'm conflicted because he actually did a lot of good things that will allow us some good times over the next 7-10 years. Now, he likely did it knowing a sale was forthcoming so I'm not claiming it wasn't at least a little self serving. But in that process, he turned this isn't a big boy organization and implemented an analytics team that is absolutely essential to competition both now & in the future. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

John's tenure was really frustrating mostly because of his inability to keep his mouth shut. He didn't learn from his father that it's best to STFU when it comes to the media. 

But he modernized the organization. He allowed significant change to occur. Change that was desperately needed. 

I'm conflicted because he actually did a lot of good things that will allow us some good times over the next 7-10 years. Now, he likely did it knowing a sale was forthcoming so I'm not claiming it wasn't at least a little self serving. But in that process, he turned this isn't a big boy organization and implemented an analytics team that is absolutely essential to competition both now & in the future. 

No doubt. We can’t forget what he allowed Elias to do and that he brought in Elias in the first place.

OTOH, this was always the cheap stuff to do, which is why it was so frustrating that the team didn’t do it in the past.

It just so happened to line up with what he wanted to do in terms of not spending money.  I don’t think it was his vision to do that. I think Elias pitched it to him, he saw it was more cost effective and he allowed it.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

And even now with a team that won 101 games, we seem to be operating like a team afraid to go for it. 

We'll never know, but I think this is at least partially because they were in the process of selling the team. I don't think the principals in a deal like that want the numbers changing significantly within a certain period. Again, I'm not expert, but that's my assumption. The Commanders did the same thing last year.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No doubt. We can’t forget what he allowed Elias to do and that he brought in Elias in the first place.

Funny thing is that you could be 100% right about JA, but the circumstances of his tenure might go down as the most successful controlling owner (or whatever his title was) maybe ever (or certainly one of the best). That could be true regardless of his likeability, greed, persona, etc.

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

You named a few things that Angelos did right. And credit to you for being so willing to be kind and generous to them regarding their legacy.

But for me I can't think of a fanbase off of the top of my head sans maybe the professional football franchise in Washington D.C. who has undergone a worse period for such a protracted extent of time.

From my perspective, there have been WAY MORE feel bad moments as an O's fan over the Angelos' tensure than feel good moments.

I'm sorry but our #1 farm system and 101 win regular season last year, does not come close to compensating for the misery we have endured for 3 decades as O's fans. At least not IMO.

Honestly, I don't think your position and mine are in contradiction. The condition of the franchise today doesn't negate the suffering of the fan base, nor the missteps of prior ownership, nor does it say that the past three decades went the way they should have or could have.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Alright, I guess you just came to tap dance on the recently deceased's grave.  

I hope you feel better about yourself.  

Doesn’t make a bit of difference to me if Pete is looking at the daisies or the roots, only thing that matters is that he or his offspring no longer have any say in all things O’s. Don’t feel better about myself but much better about my O’s and their future, also great to be able to start buying O’s stuff and going to some games, something I haven’t done since beloved Pete ran Davey Johnson out of town. 

Edited by One eyed Bird

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

I'm not looking to pick a fight with you, but I just disagree.

This guy started a thread about it being a good day for the O's (referring to new ownership) and the first 4 replies were calling out his OP. 

I know it wasn't a perfect OP, but I get him having a reaction to that and I highly doubt that he literally meant to characterize this entire board as PA apologists. That was my read on it at least. 

The OP did not denigrate the whole board as Angelos apologists though. This thread was a dumpster fire from the beginning due to some of the wording used in the OP. Anyways it's almost opening day, let's just get to the fun struff.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1