It's done - We have new owners! - Press conference right now on masn Orioles YouTube channel

spleen1015

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

Anyone know if we can watch the press conference live anywhere? 

The tweet from the O's yesterday said "Join us live" and the picture says watch live with Twitter, Facebook and YouTube icons. I'm hoping they're streaming it.

I had two take-aways from Britt’s interview with DMR.

First, the origin of the deal was interesting.  JA met with DMR over the Summer in Nantucket with the intent on selling him on taking a minority stake.  DMR responded that he was interested but only if there was a path to majority control.  JA then said (not clear if this was in real-time or at a later date) it might make sense to buy a majority stake now. 

What I’m curious about is how this timeline lines up with Kevin Brown scandal.  Perhaps JA was dead set on retaining a majority stake, but changed his mind after the humiliating coverage in the aftermath of the KB suspension.  Perhaps he wanted to be seen as the hero that turned the Orioles around and reinvigorated downtown.  Coming to the realization that he would never be received as such, he decided it was best to get out and enjoy his wealth outside of the limelight.

The second takeaway is that hiring a CEO to replace JA will be a priority for DMR.  Who will he hire to be our Stan Kasten/Larry Luchino/Sashi Brown?

Edited by Warehouse

3 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

I had two take-aways from Britt’s interview with DMR.

First, the origin of the deal was interesting.  JA met with DMR over the Summer in Nantucket with the intent on selling him on taking a minority stake.  DMR responded that he was interested but only if there was a path to majority control.  JA then said (not clear if this was in real-time or at a later date) it might make sense to buy a majority stake now. 

What I’m curious about is how this timeline lines up with Kevin Brown scandal.  Perhaps JA was dead set on retaining a majority stake, but changed his mind after the humiliating coverage in the aftermath of the KB suspension.  Perhaps he wanted to be seen as the hero that turned the Orioles around and reinvigorated downtown.  Coming to the realization that he would never be received as such, he decided it was best to get out and enjoy his wealth outside of the limelight.

The second takeaway is that hiring a CEO to replace JA will be a priority for DMR.  Who will he hire to be our Stan Kasten/Larry Luchino/Sashi Brown?

Promote Elias to CEO and Eve to GM.

1 minute ago, Warehouse said:

The second takeaway is that hiring a CEO to replace JA will be a priority for JA.  Who will he hire to be our Stan Kasten/Larry Luchino/Sashi Brown?

Yes, that was interesting.  I hadn’t realized that DR wouldn’t take the CEO role himself, but given his far-flung business empire, it makes more sense to hire a full time CEO.  That will be an interesting hire for sure.  DR has a lot of experience hiring top execs to run companies, so hopefully he’ll bring in someone talented.  

Just now, spleen1015 said:

Promote Elias to CEO and Eve to GM.

Nah.  CEO has too many responsibilities on the non-baseball side of things.  I want Elias running baseball operations, not figuring out what promotional agreements to reach, etc.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Nah.  CEO has too many responsibilities on the non-baseball side of things.  I want Elias running baseball operations, not figuring out what promotional agreements to reach, etc.

What if that is the position Elias ultimately desires and is what it takes to allow us to keep him long term?

Just now, RVAOsFan said:

What if that is the position Elias ultimately desires and is what it takes to allow us to keep him long term?

The guy seems to live and breath baseball and is a scout by training. I won’t pretend to know what he wants long-term but I’d be doubtful if it was anything beyond baseball ops. 

3 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

Why not?

1. You'd be moving three people into new roles at the same time.
  2. The people you are moving up might not have the required skill set for the new roles.
  3. Considering how he continued to run the draft when he got his current role, I think Elias would have issues walking away from his current responsibilities and would attempt to do both jobs.

Makes much more sense to simply hire an experienced CEO to take on a role that isn't about baseball, it's about running a business.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, RVAOsFan said:

If he’s not involved in baseball operations, is it that important to keep him?  If the expectation is that he will still spend a lot of time on baseball ops side, I’m not sure this is optimal.  While Elias is very good at baseball ops, there are others who may be better positioned to figure out MASN, oversee ballpark upgrades, lead ballpark village initiative, and supercharge sponsorships and attendance.