Ryan Mountcastle 2024

49 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I have said it multiple times this year but I think Mountcastle is in for a career year. He is 27, peak age historically and is hammering the ball again. I know this has been the case the last few years but at some point, I think his luck turns around.

image.thumb.jpeg.889bdbef84e67680160c0fee019d544c.jpeg

But what's his xwOBACON? Seems extra crispy to me....😉

On 4/14/2024 at 11:02 AM, RZNJ said:

Is anyone willing to say that the old hacker version is gone for good?

I'm encouraged but I need to see it for a full season.  And I need to see if he can avoid one of his prolonged slumps...and if/when he does slump, how he handles it. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I have said it multiple times this year but I think Mountcastle is in for a career year. He is 27, peak age historically and is hammering the ball again. I know this has been the case the last few years but at some point, I think his luck turns around.

By "career year", are you implying that he will begin regressing after this season?

6 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

By "career year", are you implying that he will begin regressing after this season?

Most players have a season or 2 that stand out over others. Thats not unusual.

I have said it a lot but he is Adam Jones at the plate to me.  Will usually hit for a good average, good power and be in that 750-800 OPs range.  But Jones had a few years where he popped bigger than that.

I think this is one of those seasons for Mounty if he stays healthy.

And then you trade him.

• Upvote 1

Beautiful blast this afternoon to level the score after the Yankees brief early lead.

When we've talked about him as a RH balance to the Sigbot's stack of lefty hitters with the natural bat to ball skills to match top LHP, that's pretty much what this afternoon looked like in a big game.

MLB Network guys after the game used a comp on him I'd never heard...Paul Konerko.

Olson, Bryce, Freddie and him are the 1B wRC+ leaders since he got hot last July.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Tough month for Mountcastle. Really thought he had taken the next step post-vertigo. 5 years in the league and he’s still flirting with a .300 OBP. 

That being said, a 115 OPS+ 1 month into a slump is a pretty good rolling average. 

He turned out to be Adam Jones if Jones was a bit slower and couldn’t play a premium position in the field. A decent hit in the first round for Duquette after whiffing on Dj Stewart. 

3 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

Tough month for Mountcastle. Really thought he had taken the next step post-vertigo. 5 years in the league and he’s still flirting with a .300 OBP. 

That being said, a 115 OPS+ 1 month into a slump is a pretty good rolling average. 

He turned out to be Adam Jones if Jones was a bit slower and couldn’t play a premium position in the field. A decent hit in the first round for Duquette after whiffing on Dj Stewart. 

I was hoping for the same, but Mountcastle is what he is at this point. Mountcastle has decent power and can hit the ball as hard as anyone, but he’s going to be a .300 to .320 OBP offensive player.

With the talent in the farm system unless Elias trades away some prospects Mountcastle isn’t a player you resign when he becomes a free agent. 

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I was hoping for the same, but Mountcastle is what he is at this point. Mountcastle has decent power and can hit the ball as hard as anyone, but he’s going to be a .300 to .320 OBP offensive player.

With the talent in the farm system unless Elias trades away some prospects Mountcastle isn’t a player you resign when he becomes a free agent. 

If I'm a RHP facing him, I'm throwing him nothing but outside corner sliders.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I don’t why Adam Jones didn’t get exclusively pitched this way too the low and away breaking pitch was his kryptonite. 

He was incredibly frustrating to watch.  Every so often you'd see him lay off one or two of those and you could see it took all his strength for him to do it, but he did it.  Then he'd be up again the next game flailing away at them.

Is Mountcastle the player who's at risk for being replaced by top O's prospects?  Mayo can obviously play 1B.  Kjerstad has some ability there (argued about in various threads) plus can play DH.  With O'Hearn already locked up for next year, is Mountcastle the most likely veteran to be traded?  I am assuming O's don't give Santander a QO.