Chayce McDermott 2024

Frobby

1 minute ago, emmett16 said:

I sure hope he figures it out, his pitches move a ton.  It just appears as if he has absolutely no clue where they are going.  He’s very different than Povich, only similarly being the K/9 rate.  Povich was a control guy in college (has a 60 control FV) who worked to improve his stuff and suffered control problems in the process.  McDermott is a flame throwing live arm who misses his spots by feet, not inches.  

I'm glad to have them both. Also, I keep hearing about McDermott being a flame thrower but it seemed in ST he was topping out at 95. That's plenty enough fastball, but just curious if he typically throws harder than that. 

4 hours ago, interloper said:

I'm glad to have them both. Also, I keep hearing about McDermott being a flame thrower but it seemed in ST he was topping out at 95. That's plenty enough fastball, but just curious if he typically throws harder than that. 

Last year he was 93-95 typically with some 96 in there.  Don’t know that I saw him higher than 96. 

Edited by emmett16

• 2 weeks later...

You do need to wonder if there’s some underlying physical problem.  McDermott has always had command issues, but 23 walks in 21.1 innings makes me think something could be wrong.  

14 hours ago, interloper said:

36 pitches in 2/3 of an inning with 3 walks. Only 1 run but yikes.

After 25 pitches in one inning is the danger zone.  Can’t keep someone out there and risk injury regardless of situation. 

14 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

After 25 pitches in one inning is the danger zone.  Can’t keep someone out there and risk injury regardless of situation. 

As it was happening on Cole Ragans' bad night, I was surprised the Royals let him go I think it ended up ~47 pitches.    Jeff Passan type people are going to remember that if anything goes wrong in the near term.

4 hours ago, Just Regular said:

As it was happening on Cole Ragans' bad night, I was surprised the Royals let him go I think it ended up ~47 pitches.    Jeff Passan type people are going to remember that if anything goes wrong in the near term.

For sure.  I was thinking the same thing. 

On 4/28/2024 at 7:41 AM, Frobby said:

You do need to wonder if there’s some underlying physical problem.  McDermott has always had command issues, but 23 walks in 21.1 innings makes me think something could be wrong.  

You'd almost hope for that to be the case. Seems easier to fix than if his command has truly deserted him.

1 hour ago, deward said:

You'd almost hope for that to be the case. Seems easier to fix than if his command has truly deserted him.

Heck no.  Never hope for an injury to a pitcher.  McDermott has all of 72 IP in AAA, and only 265 IP for a guy that is about to turn 26.  It could be just adjusting to the competition in AAA, or whatever was up in AAA with all the early offense.  Command doesn't need a knife to be fixed.  

Let's be real, we only have 5 SP spots on the MLB roster.  McDermott is looking like a reliever for our team.  That will have some real value, especially considering he doesn't have to be added to the 40 roster until this offseason, and then will have three option years.  

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Heck no.  Never hope for an injury to a pitcher.  McDermott has all of 72 IP in AAA, and only 265 IP for a guy that is about to turn 26.  It could be just adjusting to the competition in AAA, or whatever was up in AAA with all the early offense.  Command doesn't need a knife to be fixed.  

Let's be real, we only have 5 SP spots on the MLB roster.  McDermott is looking like a reliever for our team.  That will have some real value, especially considering he doesn't have to be added to the 40 roster until this offseason, and then will have three option years.  

Who said anything about a knife? It doesn't have to be Tommy John to be an injury that might be impacting his command (see Kimbrel, Craig). Learning that a sore back or ankle is bothering him would be a better explanation than him just suddenly walking over a batter an inning because the competition got tougher. That wouldn't bode well at all for his future success.