Chayce McDermott 2024

Frobby

22 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

McDermott may help in the pen this year (Povich as well) but a Povich is no more of a “sure thing” to stick as a starter than McDermott is.

In any event, we could use either or both in our bullpen in August or September, but for now they’re being developed as starters and they should stay in Norfolk doing that.  

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

In any event, we could use either or both in our bullpen in August or September, but for now they’re being developed as starters and they should stay in Norfolk doing that.  

No doubt. The team shouldn’t stunt the growth of either of these 2 because they screwed up in the offseason. 

Posted (edited)

Almost didn’t make it out of the first tonight.  With 36 pitches, bases loaded and 1 out the batter hit a screamer down the line….1b fielded it, stepped on bag, and through home for a tag 3rd out.   3BB 59% strikes.  Had no idea where the ball was going but managed 8 Ks. His curveball is really really good.  If he can get some control he’s gonna be a force. 

Edited by emmett16

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

How many times has that been said in the history of baseball?

The frustrating part about him is he looks fantastic for 2,3 sometimes 4 or 5 batters in a row.  He will look overpowering, dot the corners, break off nasty curveballs and the hitters look helpless.  Next thing you know he’s missing the zone by 2’.  

1 hour ago, emmett16 said:

The frustrating part about him is he looks fantastic for 2,3 sometimes 4 or 5 batters in a row.  He will look overpowering, dot the corners, break off nasty curveballs and the hitters look helpless.  Next thing you know he’s missing the zone by 2’.  

Isn't this a basic result of the Kyle Boddy disruption?   :)

You'd know a lot better than me, but I don't get the impression hitting your spots precisely is a huge priority.     It doesn't matter if you are good enough at the Tyler Glasnow Felix Bautista kind of things...they just need to make a minimum viable free throw percentage.    I kind of look at '22-'23 Bautista like if Shaq got up to making ~80% of his foul shots.

2 hours ago, emmett16 said:

Sounds like he could be a dominating reliever.  The O's would only need him to get 3 maybe 4 outs a game.  I especially like the part about him being overpowering and the hitters looking helpless.  Might be a good idea to start transitioning him to relief now.  You can't assume he'll magically be a dominant reliever right away.  It's worth a try instead of giving away a top prospect like Kjerstad for the reliever we need. 

Every important arm in the organization has a current deployment pattern probably aimed at maximizing their value as a trade asset.

The really interesting stuff happens when the September and on roster starts getting sharpened in August.

It is Adley year 3 of 6 - while we will never hear anything but cliches, my guess is Adley Rutschman feels Mike Elias under invested in the first two teams.

8 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Isn't this a basic result of the Kyle Boddy disruption?   :)

You'd know a lot better than me, but I don't get the impression hitting your spots precisely is a huge priority.     It doesn't matter if you are good enough at the Tyler Glasnow Felix Bautista kind of things...they just need to make a minimum viable free throw percentage.    I kind of look at '22-'23 Bautista like if Shaq got up to making ~80% of his foul shots.

For sure.  But with Chayce, my issue is such a huge percentage of his pitches aren't even close.  They aren't competitive at all and the batter can just write them off.  It puts him in a hole and doesn't help out with sequencing for future pitches.  Stuff is always more important than location, but if you are missing by 2' it doesn't matter how good it is.  At some point the command needs to become a focus for him to make the next step.  

3 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Sounds like he could be a dominating reliever.  The O's would only need him to get 3 maybe 4 outs a game.  I especially like the part about him being overpowering and the hitters looking helpless.  Might be a good idea to start transitioning him to relief now.  You can't assume he'll magically be a dominant reliever right away.  It's worth a try instead of giving away a top prospect like Kjerstad for the reliever we need. 

I think he is going to be a guy that gets traded a la DL Hall.  The stuff is so enticing someone will pay up for it.  

He would make me nervous coming in to pitch in a tight game.  He could walk the first 3 batters.  At the beginning of the season, I was hoping that was a role he could grow into.   I'm not so sure that job description fits his ability.  I'd love to be wrong about that and have him come up and be a weapon, but the wild inconsistency really makes me nervous.

I also don't think they will stunt his growth (and value) as a starter.  He's a much more valuable trade chip if he's a starter. 

4 hours ago, emmett16 said:

He would make me nervous coming in to pitch in a tight game. 

I agree with this. He might be a valuable bullpen arm, but I'm not sure he's a backend guy even with the great stuff.

5 hours ago, emmett16 said:

For sure.  But with Chayce, my issue is such a huge percentage of his pitches aren't even close.  They aren't competitive at all and the batter can just write them off.  It puts him in a hole and doesn't help out with sequencing for future pitches.  Stuff is always more important than location, but if you are missing by 2' it doesn't matter how good it is.  At some point the command needs to become a focus for him to make the next step.  

Grayson has the same issue to a lesser degree I feel like. It’s frustrating.