Chayce McDermott 2024

Frobby

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

55% str% 

Of the 46 balls he threw, I’d be curious on the total distance from the zone on all pitches added up.  No exaggeration it might be close to 46’.  He was consistently up and out arm side on his fastball missing by a foot.  He threw one ball to a RHB that hit in the middle of the LHB’s batter box.  His misses aren’t even remotely close.  

McDermott pitched a pretty dominant 6 innings today, allowing 1 run on 3 hits and 3 walks, striking out 6.  Pulled from the game with the Tides up 7-1, he then watched the bullpen cough up 9 runs in three innings, to lose 10-7.  Oops.  59 strikes on 96 pitches for McDermott.  

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

McDermott pitched a pretty dominant 6 innings today, allowing 1 run on 3 hits and 3 walks, striking out 6.  Pulled from the game with the Tides up 7-1, he then watched the bullpen cough up 9 runs in three innings, to lose 10-7.  Oops.  59 strikes on 96 pitches for McDermott.  

8 strikeouts yesterday.   Don’t try and shortchange Chayce!  🙂

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

8 strikeouts yesterday.   Don’t try and shortchange Chayce!  🙂

Typo, I think. I’d seen it was 8.  My fingers don’t always obey my brain, but then again, my brain isn’t exactly a steel trap these days.  

International League K% leaders numbers: 35-33-25, you know who the two outliers are.

If I bounce to PCL to see if any other AAA SP are running 30+, it's...31-24-24    (ECU Norby teammate Carson Whisenhunt the third 30+)

With health both Povich and McDermott's value will get deployed somehow for the 2024 Orioles.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

Still not throwing enough strikes though. 

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

61.5% is borderline acceptable.  

That’s about 2.5% under ML average.  Not sure he’s talented enough to be a good ML starter throwing that few a strikes (and good chance he throws less strikes than that at this level).

Similar to Povich although I think McDermott may have better pure stuff.

32 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That’s about 2.5% under ML average.  Not sure he’s talented enough to be a good ML starter throwing that few a strikes (and good chance he throws less strikes than that at this level).

Similar to Povich although I think McDermott may have better pure stuff.

Keep in mind that the robo-umps don’t give pitchers the breaks that big league umps do.  The BB/9 rate is 4.6 in the international League, compared to 4.0 in the Eastern League and 3.2 in the majors.  In 2022, before the robo-umps experience started, the International League walk rate was 4.0 BB/9.   

Now, none of that means I don’t think that command is McDermott’s biggest issue.  Clearly, it is.   But I still give him decent marks on that score for yesterday given the robo-ump environment.  

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Keep in mind that the robo-umps don’t give pitchers the breaks that big league umps do.  The BB/9 rate is 4.6 in the international League, compared to 4.0 in the Eastern League and 3.2 in the majors.  In 2022, before the robo-umps experience started, the International League walk rate was 4.0 BB/9.   

Now, none of that means I don’t think that command is McDermott’s biggest issue.  Clearly, it is.   But I still give him decent marks on that score for yesterday given the robo-ump environment.  

I am aware of this.  But it’s also likely that balls that minor leaguers swing at with be taken by Ml hitters.  

If you don’t have the command and control needed, you also aren’t going to get calls because you are all over the place.

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I am aware of this.  But it’s also likely that balls that minor leaguers swing at with be taken by Ml hitters.  

If you don’t have the command and control needed, you also aren’t going to get calls because you are all over the place.

I think both these points were old baseball truisms but now are probably incorrect looking at tangential data points.

The Os broadcast the other day showed stat that MLB pitchers average just above 50% pitches are in the zone.  That means MLB hitters are swinging quite a bit out of the zone for average str% to be ~65%.

And to the second point, with umpire grading, there are less and less actual strikes being called balls regardless of catcher set up or pitcher wildness (IIRC Frobby cited less than 4% actual strikes being called balls in 2024).

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Say O! said:

I think both these points were old baseball truisms but now are probably incorrect looking at tangential data points.

The Os broadcast the other day showed stat that MLB pitchers average just above 50% pitches are in the zone.  That means MLB hitters are swinging quite a bit out of the zone for average str% to be ~65%.

And to the second point, with umpire grading, there are less and less actual strikes being called balls regardless of catcher set up or pitcher wildness (IIRC Frobby cited less than 4% actual strikes being called balls in 2024).

I guarantee you minor leaguers have poorer swing decisions than major leaguers do.

19 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I guarantee you minor leaguers have poorer swing decisions than major leaguers do.

While true, it does not mean quality stuff does not get major league hitters to chase, and McDermott's two breaking balls are quality major league offerings. 

I share the concerns about uncompetitive pitches, but McDermott does throw enough pitches in the zone and has the quality of the breaking balls to at least work in relief in my opinion. Now ill it work as a starter, I just don't know yet. I do think he could be an asset in the pen this year though. Maybe not in high leverage right now, but I'd put him in that two inning 5th or 6th inning role and see how he looks for a bit.