Coby Mayo 2024

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, Gurgi said:

Well I am grasping at straws trying to figure out why he is getting so much time at third.  Because right now he looks bad at third.  But what do I know.  Watching Jackson Holliday play second he also is prettty horrible right now also.  

Well, while he's inconsistent, he does show the tools to be at least an average defender at 3B. The only way to find out is to keep giving him experience. Personally Id like to see him get some RF time as well.

30 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I guess you'd like to see him cut down on the K's a little bit, his YOY numbers are up. 

But man does he have a violent swing. It doesn't appear overly long, either. Just compact and strong as a bull.

It has the chance to be an iconic swing. 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Well, while he's inconsistent, he does show the tools to be at least an average defender at 3B. The only way to find out is to keep giving him experience. Personally Id like to see him get some RF time as well.

Would you think of putting him at third and Westburg at first?

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, baltfan said:

I've heard people say that and if Mayo can become as consistent as Westburg at 3B, and that's a big if, then sure, Mayo's special ar. Will make plays Westburg can't. 

2 hours ago, baltfan said:

Definitely want both bats in the lineup somehow.  The question becomes which defensive arrangement costs the fewest runs. If the WAR positional adjustments are not total nonsense, Westburg at 3B and Mayo at 1B or RF would be preferred. His arm might make RF the better choice of the two.

Despite all the IFers the Os have had, they never played Westburg at first and barely played him in the OF. I believe he had one start in the OF in AA and maybe did fly balls in practice.

Yet people think they may move him to those positions.  I don’t quite get that thought process but I guess you never know if the Os all of a sudden go away from something they have been doing for several years.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Despite all the IFers the Os have had, they never played Westburg at first and barely played him in the OF. I believe he had one start in the OF in AA and maybe did fly balls in practice.

Yet people think they may move him to those positions.  I don’t quite get that thought process but I guess you never know if the Os all of a sudden go away from something they have been doing for several years.

Westburg had 6 starts in the OF in 67 games in AAA in 2023 right before he was called up when there was a big logjam of IF at both the MLB and AAA levels. His OF flexibility was also definitely talked about by Orioles coaches that season. I don’t disagree with your point generally, but it was a bit more of a concerted effort of “does he have flexibility, maybe he can play in the OF too so we can figure out how to make this work now that his bat is MLB ready” than you are giving it credit for. 

The Orioles are already splitting Westburg’s attention between 2B and 3B and I think there’s almost a 0% chance they add more than that this season. He’s good at both positions but prior to the season said he’s really only comfortable at 2B. He’s very valuable at both positions. They might have even thought he didn’t take well to the OF in AAA, we don’t know. I think it’s possible that they revisit the OF flexibility once he feels comfortable at 3B if it makes sense with Mayo, but it won’t be midseason 2024 and is still pretty unlikely overall.

If somebody is going to the OF, seems more likely that they try Mayo in RF at some point given Mayo’s arm and Westburg being superior to Mayo at 3B (even with Mayo’s improvements there). But I think they still want Mayo working on 3B now and they’ll make more of a decision on the OF this offseason after seeing how he progresses at 3B this year. 

• Upvote 1