Coby Mayo 2024

Tony-OH

28 minutes ago, Baseball fandom said:

Thanks for posting Roy. Personality I think Mayo will be fine though he may need the Holiday reset if he doesn't pull out of it soon. Either way he will be in the Orioles plans for next year for sure one would think. 

I think he’s going to get it and probably goes back when Westburg returns. 

• Thanks 1

I’m a bit concerned to be honest. I am not normally someone who is tough on prospects and always say to be patient. He doesn’t look to go opposite field. Then I started checking his minor league stuff and everything is pulled. Some players were able to have decent careers doing this like Kevin Miller. He has a lot of time on his side and a great group of players/coaches to help him through this. Every one of these guys struggled.

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm not completely convinced that he won't be able to get his throwing together and stick at 3rd.  

Mayo will be ok. Holliday is the exact example of why you put up with a guy struggling a bit. We’re trying to win a World Series. Mayo’s bat and potential offer that ceiling. 

We can throw a Urias/Davis platoon out there for a .700ish OPS and decent defense. That’s there. That’s not going anywhere. 

Or…

We can live with some Mayo growing pains and he’s got the bat to be an ALDS/ALCS/WS MVP. That’s the ceiling we need. 

The rest of the lineup is going to have to carry him while’s he’s adjusting. 

Might as well just give up if you hit traffic in the morning on the way to work. Gotta suffer through stuff a bit sometimes to reap the rewards. 

The game looks super fast for him right now.  He looks anxious out there and needs to settle in.  Even on his bad throw yesterday he looked like he was rushing it.  His arm is good enough that there was no need to rush that throw.  

At the plate he has missed a couple FB’s that he normally punishes.  I’m guessing he is a little off balance from the heavy dose of off speed they are throwing him.  

50 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I expect we see Urias tonight in the rubber game vs Gausman.  Just a hunch.  Go with the best defensive team to try and win this series.  Let Mayo go back to starting on Friday in TB.  

Gausman has been pretty lousy for the most part of this season. It seems like he is the kind of struggling pitcher that you want Mayo facing.

Mayo just doesn't seem like a ML 3B. It would be very convenient for us if he was, but he just isn't. Maybe he can get there, but with his adjustments to ML pitching it's not like we get the benefit of his bat to offset it, at least yet. Unfortunately he has little experience at 1B, and either way you aren't taking out Mountcastle or Jimenez (DH) against LH. Unless he starts hitting I think he goes back down to the minors and we bring up JD Davis.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I expect we see Urias tonight in the rubber game vs Gausman.  Just a hunch.  Go with the best defensive team to try and win this series.  Let Mayo go back to starting on Friday in TB.  

Gausman would actually not be a bad matchup for Mayo on paper, since he’s basically fastball/splitter and doesn’t have a good breaking ball. But I agree Mayo was so rough at 3B yesterday they may give him a day off there. 

9 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Prob just nerves.

Give him longer... he shellacked a 105mph line drive right at their shortstop last night. Kid can hit and I think he's probably average or slightly below at third base. 

What other than blind hope makes you think he's probably average or slightly below at 3B?   Obviously he's only been a week, but the preliminary results are consistent with his poor fielding record in the minors.   I think there's a lot of wishful thinking going on here.   For me, he's a bad defender until he proves otherwise.

As to his hitting, of course you give him longer.   I think he has some vulnerabilities, but right now he is missing/fouling off some pitches he'd normally crush.   He will figure it out.   I do think breaking stuff down in the zone is likely to give him problems even once he's on form, however.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What other than blind hope makes you think he's probably average or slightly below at 3B?   Obviously he's only been a week, but the preliminary results are consistent with his poor fielding record in the minors.   I think there's a lot of wishful thinking going on here.   For me, he's a bad defender until he proves otherwise.

As to his hitting, of course you give him longer.   I think he has some vulnerabilities, but right now he is missing/fouling off some pitches he'd normally crush.   He will figure it out.   I do think breaking stuff down in the zone is likely to give him problems even once he's on form, however.

We heard similar things about Westburg and Norby's respective defensive abilities prior to their call ups and neither horrified me much. It's obviously easy to get discouraged by a rough start and pulling him off the field won't do him any favors. 

I don't think he could be this bad and promotable. 

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I agree.  He has looked lost at the plate.  His trade value peaked before promotion 

36 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

We heard similar things about Westburg and Norby's respective defensive abilities prior to their call ups and neither horrified me much. It's obviously easy to get discouraged by a rough start and pulling him off the field won't do him any favors. 

I don't think he could be this bad and promotable. 

I don't remember hearing a lot about Westburg being a poor defender. I remember the talk being was he is not a SS, which he is not. He doesn't have the arm for that position.

But there was plenty of talk about Mayo not being a good defensive 3B. To the tune that many posters sought to create a 'lowered bar' "if he can just be average there". The Orioles have tried to tinker with his release (especially coming into this season) to prevent some of the errant throws and it appears to not have made that much of a difference.

His defense at 1B at AAA (while a smaller sample size) from all reports, has not been good there either.

Mayo was promoted because of his bat. But more importantly because of Westburg's injury. He may be one of those guys who just doesn't need to possess a glove (like David Ortiz) but can just rake.

• Upvote 1