Grayson Rodriguez 2024

Spy Fox

3 hours ago, interloper said:

I kind of get an uneasy feeling with every Grayson start. Never really know which guy you're getting. 

True.  Especially his changeup.  It’s probably his best pitch when it’s on but it seems it’s rarely on consistently.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I wonder what the fallout will be if the Orioles don't win a must-win game in June?

Obviously the season's over if you lose a must-win game. Why else would it be must-win?

Posted (edited)

The results were great; I’m less certain about the pitching. He threw several meatballs in leverage situations that were not crushed as they might have been. Cano had similar fortune. Whatever. Roll on.

Edited by Chavez Ravine
  • Upvote 2

Grayson the 8th AL pitcher to 6 wins despite being a couple turns behind the every week pitchers for, umm, reasons.

Good luck Sigbot trying to optimize for that arbitration expense.

The location to Vlad was comical but Hyde's giddiness postgame hints to me he executed on what they hoped he'd execute on this evening.

4 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

The results were great; I’m less certain about the pitching. He threw several meatballs in leverage situations that were not crushed as they might have been. Cano had similar fortune. Whatever. Roll on.

Grayson was good tonight, but yeah he did get away with throwing some meatballs. It was good to see his control better tonight.

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I wonder what the fallout will be if the Orioles don't win a must-win game in June?

We need like 50 more wins to make the playoffs, so I think there are like 50 more Must Win Games this year. Watch out, they could strike at any moment. 

Hyde said in postgame that he thought was Graysons best start of the season, getting ahead of 22/27 batters faced with much better fastball command at 95-97 than pumping it harder.  

Not as many swings+miss (11 this start) and curiously less changeups thrown (just 9 thrown or 10% mix vs 21% avg).

Grayson’s first 10 starts of 2023 compared to this year:

2023: 45.1 iP, 57 H, 37 ER, 21 BB, 56 K, 13 HR

2024: 57.2 IP, 54 H, 21 ER, 21 BB, 65 K, 6 HR

He hasn’t been quite as dominant as he was in the second half of last year, but he’s getting it done.  

• Upvote 1

Grayson must really be disappointing people on this board. He specifically said he wasn’t hurting strikeouts and was good with early contact to keep the pitch count down. There are many on this board that claim this doesn’t work and strikeouts don’t up pitch counts despite what guys like Palmer say. The defense is that the data doesn’t support Palmer.  This is a data driven org and Grayson is saying this, the odds are very strong that it’s coming from the org and not Grayson just freestyling.   

5 hours ago, baltfan said:

Grayson must really be disappointing people on this board. He specifically said he wasn’t hurting strikeouts and was good with early contact to keep the pitch count down. There are many on this board that claim this doesn’t work and strikeouts don’t up pitch counts despite what guys like Palmer say. The defense is that the data doesn’t support Palmer.  This is a data driven org and Grayson is saying this, the odds are very strong that it’s coming from the org and not Grayson just freestyling.   

It’s a proven fact that Ks don’t up pitch counts. 

You know what his pitch counts?  Base runners. Hits and walks. If you pitch to contact, you increase the chances of a batted ball becoming a hit and then having to face more batters, which in turns increases the pitch count.