Cedric Mullins 2024

DirtyBird

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Since July 1 (not including tonight), Mullins has 338 PA. His slash line is 200/247/371/618.  70 wRC+.

Hays is about the same 617 OPS and 71 wRC+ in 290 at bats since July 1st last year.

I didn't think it would happen, but I wonder if Elias would consider a trade for a veteran outfielder who can hit. Hays and Mullins cannot play daily at this level of production.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

Hays and Mullins looked like our two week spots coming into the season. I give Elias credit for giving them both a shot to figure it out. The problem with Mullins is we don’t have a replacement at the moment. 

2 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Hays and Mullins looked like our two week spots coming into the season. I give Elias credit for giving them both a shot to figure it out. The problem with Mullins is we don’t have a replacement at the moment. 

Except Cowser, who's also doing his best to earn a demotion. But hey, Stowers can play center, right? :)

2 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

But we do. Cowser in center, Kjerstad in left. Commit to the future of this team. 

Realistically, Mullins has been in the 17th percentile or lower in xwOBA every year besides 2021. That’s Mateo territory and it’s pretty clear that 2021 is an outlier. He has pretty dramatically out performed his expected numbers the last 4 years, but if he doesn’t, this is what it’s going to look like because his expected stats are even worse than his actual stats right now. 

They just need him to be at even a 90 wRC+ or so. With that and his base running and fielding, he’d probably still be worth close to 3 WAR. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

image.thumb.png.4f8bbe34a85a97407a093915a77d86e4.png

Mullins does outperform his expected numbers quite frequently and while he's in one of his patented slumps, his "run values" as a player makes him right about average, mainly because his defense at a valued position up the middle is so good.

The Orioles don't have one single player in Double-A of higher who can play plus defensive center field besides Mullins. that's going to give him a long leash on his offensive struggles.

Most players are streaky. Some fans seem to only have a 3-4 week tolerance for players who struggle before they start to get antsy and call for the player to get less playing time or to bring up the "prospect of choice" to replace them.

Mullins is still a valuable player on a contending team because of his defense in CF. He's going to get on a hot streak with the bat at some point and he settle back into the .710 OPS player that he probably is at this point in his career with the bat. Not every batter 1-9 is going to be an average major league hitter or better, but until the Orioles find an outstanding defensive CFer to replace him, he's going to get a very long leash this year.

Accurate.  Would have repped this but I'm out, apparently.

1 hour ago, .500_OR_BETTER said:

They bring up Stowers - Mullins is hitting .185 and like .088 of the past few weeks.

Let Stowers play and give Mullins some rest... maybe even a short IL stint with a rehab assignment.

Stowers can't play CF.  I guess Hays or Cowser could cover it for a fee days.  The O's don't even have an average MLB CF in upper minors/majors other than Mullins.  It's why McKenna gets chance after chance.  I think this might be one trade Elias has to make early.  Prepare to be underwhelmed.  Think slightly better McKenna.