Colton Cowser 2024

Cowser in the minors: .298/.420/.489

Cowser in AAA: .280/.398/.498

Westburg in the minors: .278/.371/.506

Westburg in AAA: .283/.366/.533

Very comparable numbers, with Westburg showing a little more power, Cowser a little better OBP.  Both with very similar BA.

How do you think it ultimately shakes out in the majors?   Westburg is currently at .278/.332/.504, Cowser at .234/.326/.442.  The big difference I see is that Westburg’s BA is very close to his minor league/AAA BA, whereas Cowser’s BA is 40-50 points lower than his MiL/AAA performance.  Cowser is a couple hundred PA behind Westburg in major league experience.  Does that gap disappear once he’s caught up?   

• Upvote 4

40 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Does that gap disappear once he’s caught up?   

I'm betting, wishing it does! Either that, or a lot of Oriole fans have waisted money on Bovine Gear!!!!! We just gotta have a future with Westy & Moo!!!

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Very comparable numbers, with Westburg showing a little more power, Cowser a little better OBP.  Both with very similar BA.

How do you think it ultimately shakes out in the majors?   Westburg is currently at .278/.332/.504, Cowser at .234/.326/.442.  The big difference I see is that Westburg’s BA is very close to his minor league/AAA BA, whereas Cowser’s BA is 40-50 points lower than his MiL/AAA performance.  Cowser is a couple hundred PA behind Westburg in major league experience.  Does that gap disappear once he’s caught up?   

I don't know.  I'm just enjoying watching both of them.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't know.  I'm just enjoying watching both of them.

Yea there is so much that will determine that.  Health and how much work they put into it will be the 2 main factors.

Cowser would be my bet but it’s honestly a toss up.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I’m a massive Westburg fan, but when it’s all said and done I believe Cowser will be the better hitter. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

How do you think it ultimately shakes out in the majors?   Westburg is currently at .278/.332/.504, Cowser at .234/.326/.442.

The minors 50 point OBP gap basically gone so far.   I do think Cowser (especially early Cowser) and Westburg present a contrast in the "trying to get a walk" bearing in the batter's box.     I believe some guys can leverage that skill to get counterfeit minors OBP numbers.

Cowser's not that one dimensional, for sure, as Zack Wheeler experienced yesterday.      

I don't concede RoY to Luis Gil just yet, though the Orioles hopes there would be helped if they can hit him some this week.    Cowser in a better spot than Gil to sustain production the last 5/9ths of the season.

fWAR for now has it at:

AL Bats - Cowser 2.1, W. Abreu 1.6

AL Arms - Gil 2.0, Miller 1.3

Pop up avoidance was a Joey Votto thing back in the day.

Adjacent, BP had a story on Corbin Burnes' first 15 turns with an insight that his pop up rate has been fantastic maybe/maybe not due to some of the repertoire changes he is featuring this year.     Some of his peripherals that have "fallen off" look a little shinier if you give 99% of a strikeout credit to pop ups.

3 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

The minors 50 point OBP gap basically gone so far.   I do think Cowser (especially early Cowser) and Westburg present a contrast in the "trying to get a walk" bearing in the batter's box.     I believe some guys can leverage that skill to get counterfeit minors OBP numbers.

Cowser's not that one dimensional, for sure, as Zack Wheeler experienced yesterday.      

I don't concede RoY to Luis Gil just yet, though the Orioles hopes there would be helped if they can hit him some this week.    Cowser in a better spot than Gil to sustain production the last 5/9ths of the season.

fWAR for now has it at:

AL Bats - Cowser 2.1, W. Abreu 1.6

AL Arms - Gil 2.0, Miller 1.3

Any talk of RotY probability has to factor in that Gil is a Yankee and the voting will likely be biased by that. If Gil keeps pitching well no one else has a chance, and he’ll have to drop off a good bit to open the door IMO. 

Maybe I’m putting too much stock into the Yankee thing, but I don’t think so. Media guys love them some Yanks. 

Just now, Fiver6565 said:

Any talk of RotY probability has to factor in that Gil is a Yankee and the voting will likely be biased by that. If Gil keeps pitching well no one else has a chance, and he’ll have to drop off a good bit to open the door IMO. 

Maybe I’m putting too much stock into the Yankee thing, but I don’t think so. Media guys love them some Yanks. 

The way Gil is pitching right now is elite and if they don't throttle him back as innings are likely to be a concern at some point this summer according to YES and the NY media, and Gil keeps up what he's doing it will have nothing to do with the Yankee factor. He essentially replaced Cole while he was hurt and is putting a Cy Young season together.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

I'm not convinced Yankee bias is as much a thing in award voting these days (including the All Star game). I can't think of any recent instances where a Yankee won a big award unduly.

Certainly Cowser-Gil both have about 55% of the regular season still to play, and will probably go head to head 8-9 times if Gil starts each of the final 3 series against us to have some kind of narrative inspiring moment.

If the race is close, whose team wins will also I bet factor in for some voters.