Brandon Hyde 2024

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Grayson was pushed over 100 with some long AB's. I thought he was taken out at the right time, Tate just didn't get the job done.

I thought Tate was the wrong choice but Grayson had to come out there. 

• 2 weeks later...

A bunch of debatable decisions tonight but the one that stuck out for me was the choice to pull Webb for Perez in the 6th with two outs and a left-handed hitter coming up.  Webb was pitching well and he has an excellent changeup--there's no need to bring in a lefty.   Perez is shaky at best but it would have been better to save him for later in case Soto came up with men on base.   

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

A bunch of debatable decisions tonight but the one that stuck out for me was the choice to pull Webb for Perez in the 6th with two outs and a left-handed hitter coming up.  Webb was pitching well and he has an excellent changeup--there's no need to bring in a lefty.   Perez is shaky at best but it would have been better to save him for later in case Soto came up with men on base.   

You could have left him in. That said Cano was going to be the guy facing Stanton if men were on base in that spot. The defense almost lost the game. 

20 minutes ago, survivedc said:

Pinch hitting for O’Hearn was one of the worst decisions I’ve seen this year. And yes, I know the splits.

Hays has been good lately. To me it was a no brainer move. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, survivedc said:

Pinch hitting for O’Hearn was one of the worst decisions I’ve seen this year. And yes, I know the splits.

I don't normally have an issue with Hyde's calls, but this one even I couldn't ignore. I checked and O'Hearn only has 11 AB vs lefties with, yes, poor numbers, but the one I was most interested in was K's: NONE! You take out one of our best hitters in a 1 run game in the 9th when all we need is some contact and you put in the guy who routinely swings at junk balls? Bad form, Peter, bad form!

• Upvote 2

The decision to bring in Perez in that situation is even harder to understand considering that Akin was probably not available tonight, so by bringing Perez to face a rookie in an ordinary situation you leave yourself with only Vespi in case there is a situation later on requiring a situational lefty.  

Coulombe's injury is a huge loss for the Orioles--our lefty relief corps is now very weak--but it's what we have for now and Hyde needs to be smart about when to bring in a lefty.  

1 hour ago, andymax said:

I don't normally have an issue with Hyde's calls, but this one even I couldn't ignore. I checked and O'Hearn only has 11 AB vs lefties with, yes, poor numbers, but the one I was most interested in was K's: NONE! You take out one of our best hitters in a 1 run game in the 9th when all we need is some contact and you put in the guy who routinely swings at junk balls? Bad form, Peter, bad form!

But if you go beyond those 11 ABs, you’ll find that his career K rate against LHPs is nearly 30%. Of the balls he has been able to put into play against lefties, over 70% of them have been either ground balls or infield flyballs. Some of those ground balls might have gotten through for hits — but many of them likely also would have been DPs in that situation.

That’s an awfully high combined rate of bad outcomes. Hard to blame a manager for playing those numbers. 

Anecdotally, I think Hays seems to squeeze the absolute life out of the bat in high-stakes situations, so I was very concerned about throwing him out there in that spot. But I think I still would have done it — the numbers are pretty tough to deny. 

• Upvote 1