Brandon Hyde 2024

2 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

And full stop, losing this series, especially without winning a game, is completely indefensible. Last year they had the layoff excuse, the lack of playoff experience excuse, and the fact that the Rangers ended up winning it all. This year, there is zero excuse. The Royals might be the worst team to make the playoffs this year. They have one good position player. Only Detroit has a lower wRC+ among playoff teams. Their pitching is good, but is only tied for 6th/7th among the 12 playoff teams in ERA. It’s nothing special - this is the type of pitching you will see if you want to go anywhere in the playoffs. Their core also has little to no playoff experience. They were awful the last month of the season. They’re a .500 team that happened to play in the White Sox division and took full advantage of it. 

Hyde can’t be blamed for a lot of their problems, but his team is 0-4 in playoff games while getting out scored 22-11. They’re a game away from making that 0-5 and losing to an 86 win, much less talented team. Results matter.

So a different manager would be the difference in them winning and losing these playoff games?  Cole Ragans would have allowed a couple of runs today with another Oriole manager?  I don’t know what is going to happen tomorrow but having a different manager isn’t going to change the results.  Brandon Hyde will be the manager of the Orioles win or lose tomorrow or however the playoffs end.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, LGOrioles said:

It also seemed questionable to PH Kjerstad for Urias there. Ramon has been one of their best hitters the last 2 months. Kjerstad has more power potential but Erceg doesn’t give up HR’s. Having a strikeout prone batter PH for his first playoff appearance against a high strikeout reliever ended up predictably with… a strikeout. Erceg doesn’t have huge LH/RH splits in terms of his K/BB rate and Ramon hits RHP’s fine. 

If you’re splitting hairs with Urias/Kjerstad there, McCann needed to be PH for in the 5th after watching his 3rd inning AB (where he should have been bunting).

Yes, I was very dismayed by the decision to pinchhit for Urías. One of my few complaints about Hyde is the automatic matching up that ignores reverse splits and details of the pitcher's actual record (such as the extremely low number of home runs Erceg yields).

41 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Yes, I was very dismayed by the decision to pinchhit for Urías. One of my few complaints about Hyde is the automatic matching up that ignores reverse splits and details of the pitcher's actual record (such as the extremely low number of home runs Erceg yields).

Urias has traditional splits this year and a double ties the game. I would have a slight preference in that situation given Erceg's splits but it is very slight.

9 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

They were saving him to replace Kjerstad for defense IMO. I think the calculation was they weren't going to run themselves out of an inning, so Holliday's slight speed advantage was less likely to make a difference than moving Santander out of position. I think you are missing that O'Hearn has above average speed so there is very little advantage unless you are planning to steal.

He still would’ve been in for defense. And Slater would’ve been in for Kjerstad. 

11 minutes ago, waroriole said:

He still would’ve been in for defense. And Slater would’ve been in for Kjerstad. 

Kjerstad pinch hit for Urias though. By not pinch running, O'Hearn is able to stay at 1B, Holliday comes in to 2B, Westburg to 3B. It's possible that O'Hearn's speed costs us the game but it's also possible we lose due to Santander at 1B or having Holliday and Slater stuck in the lineup. As it turned out it didn't matter.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Kjerstad pinch hit for Urias though. By not pinch running, O'Hearn is able to stay at 1B, Holliday comes in to 2B, Westburg to 3B. It's possible that O'Hearn's speed costs us the game but it's also possible we lose due to Santander at 1B or having Holliday and Slater stuck in the lineup. As it turned out it didn't matter.

If Santander’s defense costed us, that means we would have been in extra innings.  That’s better than not being in extra innings.

8 hours ago, accinfo said:

So a different manager would be the difference in them winning and losing these playoff games?  Cole Ragans would have allowed a couple of runs today with another Oriole manager?  I don’t know what is going to happen tomorrow but having a different manager isn’t going to change the results.  Brandon Hyde will be the manager of the Orioles win or lose tomorrow or however the playoffs end.  

A loss today would make two straight sweeps in the postseason. 0-5 in the postseason speaks for itself. Hyde can’t can’t win the games himself, but that record isn’t acceptable. If you think it is, just give him a lifetime contract then and let him coach in Baltimore the next 30 years since a manager doesn’t make a difference in winning or losing games. 

39 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

You don’t have to twist yourself into a pretzel to defend Hyde. If Santander’s defense costs us, it means we got to extra innings and pinch running for OHearn was the right call. Also, are you really trying to say that OHearn is so valuable a defender at 1B that we couldn’t stand to lose that glove in extras? I doubt he’s even better than Santander. 

41 minutes ago, waroriole said:

You don’t have to twist yourself into a pretzel to defend Hyde. If Santander’s defense costs us, it means we got to extra innings and pinch running for OHearn was the right call. Also, are you really trying to say that OHearn is so valuable a defender at 1B that we couldn’t stand to lose that glove in extras? I doubt he’s even better than Santander. 

It is very possible to get to extras without Holliday's speed being the difference that got us there. O'Hearn is actually a fast runner. 

The O's have shown repeatedly that they do not consider Santander a 1B and do not want him there. 

Yes, Holliday would very marginally increase the chances of scoring a run in the 9th. He would also weaken both the lineup and the defense in extras. Which gives the O's a higher probability of winning is a judgment call. 

As it turned out, it was irrelevant because of the horrible call on Adley's strikeout.