Some 9x stats

Frobby

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

A reasonable opening day projection for the Orioles was probably 92ish wins, or about 44 WAR. Starting 12-6 you could reasonably assume that their EOY projection is something like 93 or 94 wins. 

Baseball reference says the team WAR is currently 6.2. So that would work out to something in the neighborhood of 40 for the rest of the schedule.

Thanks. I think my math is off somewhere. 

1 minute ago, spleen1015 said:

Does Cowser win ROY with 9.9 rWAR?

He'd be in the running for unanimous MVP.  Mike Trout in 2012 is the only rookie to ever have gotten to 10 rWAR, and he didn't win the MVP only becuase a bunch of writers got all weak-kneed about Cabrera's triple crown. 2nd in all time rookie WAR is Dick Allen's 8.8 in '64, followed by Judge's 8.0 in '17.

Fred Lynn won the MVP and ROY in '75 with a 7.4-win season.

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

He'd be in the running for unanimous MVP.  Mike Trout in 2012 is the only rookie to ever have gotten to 10 rWAR, and he didn't win the MVP only becuase a bunch of writers got all weak-kneed about Cabrera's triple crown. 2nd in all time rookie WAR is Dick Allen's 8.8 in '64, followed by Judge's 8.0 in '17.

Fred Lynn won the MVP and ROY in '75 with a 7.4-win season.

Yeah baby! Colton Fred Cowser Lynn!

7 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

Does Cowser win ROY with 9.9 rWAR?

If you roster a Rookie all year who wins MVP, the club acquires every 1st round pick from your division rivals in next year's draft. Oft-overlooked rule in the most recent CBA.

• Haha 2

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

Friendly reminder that even the quickest numbers to show significance like strikeout and FB rates take 60-100 at bats to become more signal than noise. And things like SLG and OBP take the better part of half a season before you can start trusting them. Batting average is well over the number of PAs anyone has ever gotten in a season.

Drungo's First Rule (or at least some rule of mine): Never trust anything before Memorial Day. And don't get too comfortable until well after July 4th.

So things like swing rate, swinging strike rate, FB rate/GB rate get to an r^2 >= .5 like 60 PAs, and EV and launch angle in around 40 batted balls.  We're a hair short, but not that much.  Like I said, it's enough for some rough trends.

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My, that is pedantic. Multiplying by nine is much easier and more fun than doing all that boring stuff.

If he really wanted to be pedantic he would have talked about priors, posteriors and Bayes' Law.  I credit him for translating Bayesian updating into English.  😀

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Drungo's First Rule (or at least some rule of mine): Never trust anything before Memorial Day. And don't get too comfortable until well after July 4th.

I have been known to follow that rule myself.  Though to be honest, a better rule might be never trust anything ever. We’ve seen promising May/June stats go south plenty of times, as well as guys who dug themselves out of huge holes.  

2 hours ago, Pickles said:

It's all fun and games until:

Jackson Holliday: .077/.040/.117 36 runs 9 RBI 9 H 9 BB 225 Ks (-) 3.6 rWAR

Austin Hays: .136/.073/.210 18 Runs 18 RBI 27 H 27 BB 199 Ks (-) 9 rWAR

That's almost a Sisco for Holliday.