Some 9x stats

Frobby

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

He'd be in the running for unanimous MVP.  Mike Trout in 2012 is the only rookie to ever have gotten to 10 rWAR, and he didn't win the MVP only becuase a bunch of writers got all weak-kneed about Cabrera's triple crown. 2nd in all time rookie WAR is Dick Allen's 8.8 in '64, followed by Judge's 8.0 in '17.

Fred Lynn won the MVP and ROY in '75 with a 7.4-win season.

You not getting weak kneed at a triple crown is disappointing, WAR guy.

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

If he stays healthy, I do believe Gunnar can hit 40 homers this year.  Looks like he's *ahem* getting to his power quite well so far.  

That can't be true because I'm told he needs to increase his BB% to be elite.  

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

If he stays healthy, I do believe Gunnar can hit 40 homers this year.  Looks like he's *ahem* getting to his power quite well so far.  

3 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

They should move a high OBP guy with some speed into the leadoff spot.

I'm thinking maybe try Mountcastle there?

21 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

That hadn't been done in over 30 years!  

It was easier to do when there were fewer teams. We should start counting triple crowns in just AL teams east of the Mississippi and north of Tennessee. I mean, when Ty Cobb was doing it he only had to beat the dudes on seven other teams.

6 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It was easier to do when there were fewer teams. We should start counting triple crowns in just AL teams east of the Mississippi and north of Tennessee. I mean, when Ty Cobb was doing it he only had to beat the dudes on seven other teams.

Weak-kneed Drungo.  Doesn't happen often.

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'll be the pedantic one and point out that it's not really a projection to multiply 1/9th of the season by nine and come up with a full season's performance. Because 1/9th of the season is almost certainly not representative of the talent or expected performance of the players in question. 

To get a true projection you should take a little less than 8/9ths of your preseason projection, add in what they've done since opening day, and then toss in the little bit of additional knowledge we've gotten from the past 18 games.

If you thought Jordan Westburg was a 2.5-win player on opening day, it's probably reasonable to think he's a 2.7 win player today.

For those of you following at home:

Pedantic = "someone who annoys others by correcting small errors, caring too much about minor details, or emphasizing their own expertise especially in some narrow or boring subject matter."

Buzzkill = "a person or thing that spoils the mood or the pleasure of others."

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It was easier to do when there were fewer teams. We should start counting triple crowns in just AL teams east of the Mississippi and north of Tennessee. I mean, when Ty Cobb was doing it he only had to beat the WHITE dudes on seven other teams.

Fixed it for you.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, btdart20 said:

The fact that Chris Davis had multiple years with a BB% over 11% tells you all you need to know about how correlated plate discipline is with BB%.