Kjerstad Joining Team

33 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Banuelos?   Suárez?

If you’re talking about Holliday, he’s already had one fewer PA than Kjerstad had all last year.  Kjerstad could go 0 for 179 and still have a higher career BA than Holliday has right now (no, I am not exaggerating).   Yet Kjerstad’s decent performance last year didn’t guarantee him a continued spot on the roster.   The O’s didn’t see any harm to having him spend some more time in the minors this year, even though he’s had more AAA time than Holliday.  

Obviously, this sounds like I’m bashing Holliday, or arguing that he MUST be sent to the minors RIGHT NOW.  But that’s not my intention.  I’m just saying that Holliday is off to an awful start that is far worse than what even struggling prospects have done when the O’s brought them up, and if the O’s decide at any point that he needs a stint in the minors, I would not fault them for lack of patience.   This is the big leagues, not a kindergarten team where everyone gets a trophy.   

I’m not defending Holliday’s performance thus far. I think he would admit that has been very bad.

What I was speaking to is the unrealistic expectations that many fans seem to have for these young players when they arrive. The facts are just about all of them struggle (albeit Holliday has been the worst).

I actually like the idea of calling Kerjstad up. We can ease him in to things so to speak and give him a looksie over an extended period of time before deciding what to do with Santander after this year.

However, with his arrival at the club, it probably means no more strict platoon, matchup baseball any more, as 3 of our OFs are LHH. I am fine with this as I believe top prospect should not be used as platoon ball players. They need reps (like Gunnar and now Westburg is getting) against same sided pitching. IMO platoons should be reserved for lesser talented ball players to take advantage of a specific skill set (like O’Hearn or Mateo for that matter).

32 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The question is, can he be productive playing just 1-2 times a week? We don't know because he's never really been in that role. Not everyone can stay productive in a part-time role.

I think the Orioles will find a way to get him in the lineup 4-5 days a week. He can play corner outfield (except I would not play him in LF in Camden), DH and 1B. He still does not look great at 1B, but he can be serviceable if it means getting his bat into the lineup.

That's a decent amount of ways to keep him and others fresh. Santander probably is at risk to sit a bit more than usual, but this also gives the Orioles an opportunity to have a very left-handed heavy lineup against righties at times, with Mountcastle sitting.

The Orioles left-handed heavy lineup could be:

1. Henderson - SS
2. Rutschman - C
3. O'Hearn - 1B
4. Santander - RF
5. Cowser - LF
6. Mullins - CF
7. Westburg - 3B (R)
8. Kjerstad - DH
9. Holliday - 2B

Imagine having to face that lineup and then have Mountcastle, McCann, Urias and Mateo for pinch running as a bench.

Now don't get me wrong, Mountcastle is not going to be benched all that much, but Kjerstad could give Santander, Cowser, Mullins (with Cowser moving to CF), O'Hearn, Mountcastle, and Rutschman when he DHing a day off. 

That's a lot of ways to keep him fresh and get his bat in the lineup.

With O’Hearn, Mountcastle, and Santander I don’t really see much of a need to play Kjerstad at 1B. 

If this is more than a short term thing, I would hope that they make his transition as easy as possible, and DH mostly while allowing a few starts in RF. That is to say, let him focus for the most part on his hitting instead of trying to grasp a position (first base) that he still doesn’t seem comfortable with.

Just now, Bemorewins said:

With O’Hearn, Mountcastle, and Santander I don’t really see much of a need to play Kjerstad at 1B. 

If this is more than a short term thing, I would hope that they make his transition as easy as possible, and DH mostly while allowing a few starts in RF. That is to say, let him focus for the most part on his hitting instead of trying to grasp a position (first base) that he still doesn’t seem comfortable with.

I agree that 1B would be his last positional option, just saying that he "could" play there if needed. But I agree, he will probably DH or play RF mostly.

While this makes plenty of sense while Mounty is banged up, I'd probably rather have Mounty hit vs RHP once he's healthy? He's been so good against basically everybody and you don't have to worry about any adjustment period. Highest OBP on the team, great defense. 

I just don't see how this will be a permanent arrangement. Feels more 40-man based than anything. Which is fine! Use the insane depth.

Edited by interloper

43 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The question is, can he be productive playing just 1-2 times a week? We don't know because he's never really been in that role. Not everyone can stay productive in a part-time role.

I think the Orioles will find a way to get him in the lineup 4-5 days a week. He can play corner outfield (except I would not play him in LF in Camden), DH and 1B. He still does not look great at 1B, but he can be serviceable if it means getting his bat into the lineup.

That's a decent amount of ways to keep him and others fresh. Santander probably is at risk to sit a bit more than usual, but this also gives the Orioles an opportunity to have a very left-handed heavy lineup against righties at times, with Mountcastle sitting.

1. Henderson - SS
2. Rutschman - C
3. O'Hearn - 1B
4. Santander - RF
5. Cowser - LF
6. Mullins - CF
7. Westburg - 3B (R)
8. Kjerstad - DH
9. Holliday - 2B

Imagine having to face that lineup and then have Mountcastle, McCann, Urias and Mateo for pinch running as a bench.

Now don't get me wrong, Mountcastle is not going to be benched all that much, but Kjerstad could give Santander, Cowser, Mullins (with Cowser moving to CF), O'Hearn, Mountcastle, and Rutschman when he DHing a day off. 

An 8 lefty lineup, and with all that talent. I don’t think we got to 8 lefties even with Hicks. Maybe we did with Lester at 3B?  Somewhere Bud Norris is happy he’s retired with all the LHH. 

Just like with the pitching staff and their health, things will work themselves out or some players will have to go to AAA. I think Holliday gets till the Yankees series. Or maybe we just bench him if he’s not hitting for those games. Those are big games. 

8 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I'm guessing Kjerstad RF tomorrow with Santander DH to give him some rest. 

Gunnar SS, Adley C, Santnader DH, O'Hearn 1B, Westburg 3B, Cowser LF, Mullins CF, Kjerstad RF, Holliday 2B

My goodness, what a lineup. I hope everyone is taking a second to smell the roses. This is rare even with Holliday's struggles, and Mayo/Basallo aren't even hear yet.

53 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

1. Henderson - SS
2. Rutschman - C
3. O'Hearn - 1B
4. Santander - RF
5. Cowser - LF
6. Mullins - CF
7. Westburg - 3B (R)
8. Kjerstad - DH
9. Holliday - 2B

This is starting to happen.  Love to see it.

I want to go back to something I have been saying for a while…the Os have a lot of solid vet bats but none of them should be viewed as everyday guys.  I happen to believe that if healthy, Mounty is going to have a career year but I think we need to look at these guys as 300-550 at bats guys…not 500+ for all of them(talking the vets here).

By doing that, the young guys get enough playing time to justify being here. 

And we also can make a trade or 2 as the season goes on, especially to get Mayo here.

There is nothing wrong with this approach. It allows you to have your depth, keep everyone fresh and develop your young talent all at the same time.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

An 8 lefty lineup, and with all that talent. I don’t think we got to 8 lefties even with Hicks. Maybe we did with Lester at 3B?  Somewhere Bud Norris is happy he’s retired with all the LHH. 

Just like with the pitching staff and their health, things will work themselves out or some players will have to go to AAA. I think Holliday gets till the Yankees series. Or maybe we just bench him if he’s not hitting for those games. Those are big games. 

I know this may be an unpopular opinion but with our depth and given the Yankees age, I just don’t see them being able to compete with us over the course of 162. Especially if Grayson and Burnes stay healthy.

The Orioles are actually a better team than last year due to the maturation of some of the young position players. 

I think the Yanks would have to win 100+ games in preset to put pace us over the season. And I just don’t see that with what they have.

Don’t get me wrong I respect the heck out of them. And I think that they are good. But I just think the Orioles are even better than last year. We only have 1 weakness - middle relief.

If we get a healthy Bradish back at some point this season. And if Holliday ever figures things out, I can’t see anybody in the sport really being favored against us (including the Rangers, Braves, and Dodgers).

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

While this makes plenty of sense while Mounty is banged up, I'd probably rather have Mounty hit vs RHP once he's healthy? He's been so good against basically everybody and you don't have to worry about any adjustment period. Highest OBP on the team, great defense. 

I just don't see how this will be a permanent arrangement. Feels more 40-man based than anything. Which is fine! Use the insane depth.

It probably was the easiest move for Elias to make. DFA the 40th man on the 40 man. We lost a MLB starting level OF. Call up our closest to the MLB OF prospect.

Just finish out the road trip without losing anyone else. Get back home and reassess.

We have a big series versus the Yankees coming up and I would not be surprised if we do use matchups to more than we would other games. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

This is starting to happen.  Love to see it.

I want to go back to something I have been saying for a while…the Os have a lot of solid vet bats but none of them should be viewed as everyday guys.  I happen to believe that if healthy, Mounty is going to have a career year but I think we need to look at these guys as 300-550 at bats guys…not 500+ for all of them(talking the vets here).

By doing that, the young guys get enough playing time to justify being here. 

And we also can make a trade or 2 as the season goes on, especially to get Mayo here.

There is nothing wrong with this approach. It allows you to have your depth, keep everyone fresh and develop your young talent all at the same time.

Or we could trade one of the prospects and get another ace type.

Either way, I think we are in really great shape.

Just now, Bemorewins said:

Or we could trade one of the prospects and get another ace type.

Either way, I think we are in really great shape.

As I said, someone(s) has to go. 

Over the next few years, you also enter Mayo and Basallo into the picture.

Mayo is reportedly shagging fly balls now. They are working on him in the OF.  Only a matter of time before he’s in games. But he will play first some and DH some. Basallo will as well.

Both have a talent advantage over silent J,  Cowser, Stowers, Norby, Beavers, etc…

So, some kind of move(s) will need to be made. It’s not a matter of if, it’s when.