Time Gunnar's triple

Frobby

3 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I had it at 10.6 for Jorge and 10.7 for Gunnar.

I haven't been able to find it, and so it must be buried in an unrelated thread, but we had a similar conversation last year about a triple Jorge hit.

IIRC, I had timed Jorge at 10.8 on a triple, and people pushed back saying that would be the fastest triple in the statcast era, and 24fps started talking about broadcast television, etc.

But no doubt, they can both really fly.

Jorge coming into to second and turning it up as he decides to go for 3 was a sight to behold.

He's a pretty good baseball player, but I would like to see the alternative world where grew up playing American football.

He’d be an amazing wide receiver.  

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He’d be an amazing wide receiver.  

I was thinking running back or safety, but he'd a find a position.

He's not just fast; he's very solidly built.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, lfallo1 said:

Have pondered the Mateo as an NFL WR or RB as well.. Obviously, we're speaking in hypotheticals that won't happen .. but Lamar + Mateo would be an entertaining combo.

We'll just have to content ourselves with Lamar and Eddie George.

6 minutes ago, Pickles said:

BTW, Baseball Reference has Mateo as 5th most valuable Orioles, and on pace for over 4 WAR.

Mateo at .733 OPS is an extremely valuable player.   Is he likely to stay at .733?  History says no.

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Mateo at .733 OPS is an extremely valuable player.   Is he likely to stay at .733?  History says no.

Oh for sure.

He's not breaking my heart again after last year.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Anyway, those were fun to watch.  

As soon as Jorge's ball appeared to be heading toward splitting the gap, I yelled out, "Make it a triple!!!" and then saw him kick it into gear nearing 2B  and we were all on our feet yelling for him to get to 3rd, like cheering on a stud you'd picked to win the Derby.  The whole place erupted when he got there safe. 

When Gunnar hit his, I was scared to death as he rounded second and you could kinda hear the crowd holding their breath. When he got in safe to third, I think everyone was just a lot more relieved than pumped up. 

Jorge is like a gazelle - GH just has huge strides (my amateur analysis there :) ).

"Those were fun to watch." Indeed!!!

32 minutes ago, justD said:

Jorge is like a gazelle - GH just has huge strides (my amateur analysis there :) ).

"Those were fun to watch." Indeed!!!

Jorge is a speeding bullet, Gunnar is runaway freight train. 

• Haha 1

On 4/25/2024 at 3:43 PM, baltfan said:

Gunnar’s acceleration is noticeably better this year. Top speed seems the same, but last year he took a bit more to get going. 

I love his aggressiveness on the bases...sometimes he gets a little too "ambitious", but I admire his fire as he legs out doubles and triples...I just hope he stays healthy...

5 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I love his aggressiveness on the bases...sometimes he gets a little too "ambitious", but I admire his fire as he legs out doubles and triples...I just hope he stays healthy...

I recall Bryce Harper being the same way at that age. It's a fun attribute but it fades quickly once injuries start happening.