Setting the rotation for the four game Yankee Series

wildcard

Sunday's starter for the O's is TBD.    Suarez or Means.   The choice is really about who Elias/Hyde want to start vs the Yankees.    Means may be good enough to beat the A's saving Suarez for the first game vs the Yankees.   GRod, Kremer, and Burnes could follow.  

They probably don't want Irvin pitching vs the Yankees because his career OPS vs them is 924.

The other consideration is that if Bradish pitches well in Norfolk tonight he could be available to pitch vs the Yankees.   But having his first game back in the majors vs the Yankees may not be the best idea.   Pitching vs the Reds is no picnic but its probably easier than facing the Yankees.

That brings up who is in the rotation if Means and Bradish are both back.  Irvin is an easy move to the pen but that still leaves Burnes, GRod, Bradish,  Kremer and Means who are mainly starters.  Suarez has relieved in the past but how do you take a guy with a 0.00 ERA out of the rotation?

There are things yet to happen including Means, Bradish and Suarez effectiveness in their up coming starts.

Edited by wildcard

46 minutes ago, dystopia said:

I have no idea why Means is even a consideration for Sunday. He’s clearly not ready. 

Means pitched 5 times for Norfolk with an ERA of 13.89. 

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

The other consideration is that if Bradish pitches well in Norfolk tonight he could be available to pitch vs the Yankees.   But having his first game back in the majors vs the Yankees may not be the best idea.   Pitching vs the Reds is no picnic but its probably easier than facing the Yankees.

To me, Bradish is good enough and experienced enough that I'm not super worried who his first opponent is. And I think facing the Reds in Cincy may be a tougher assignment than facing the Yankees in Camden. 

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Sunday's starter for the O's is TBD.    Suarez or Means.   The choice is really about who Elias/Hyde want to start vs the Yankees.    Means may be good enough to beat the A's saving Suarez for the first game vs the Yankees.   GRod, Kremer, and Burnes could follow.  

They probably don't want Irvin pitching vs the Yankees because his career OPS vs them is 924.

That brings up who is in the rotation if Means and Bradish are both back.  Irvin is an easy move to the pen but that still leaves Burnes, GRod, Bradish,  Kremer and Means who are mainly starters.  Suarez has relieved in the past but how do you take a guy with a 0.00 ERA out of the rotation?

There are things yet to happen including Means, Bradish and Suarez effectiveness in their up coming starts.

Apart from Judge and Soto the Yankee offense does not scare me. 

Cincinnati will probably be a tougher team to pitch against simply because of their stadium. Basically pre-wall OPACY without a scoreboard. 

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I disagree.

Prefer to move Irvin? Or stash Means in the bullpen? I don't have a strong feeling either way but it would make sense to back Means up with a RHP throwing 96. I don't think Suarez is going to have a 0.00 ERA forever and I like having a matchup proof guy like him or Wells in the pen. 

8 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Prefer to move Irvin? Or stash Means in the bullpen? I don't have a strong feeling either way but it would make sense to back Means up with a RHP throwing 96. I don't think Suarez is going to have a 0.00 ERA forever and I like having a matchup proof guy like him or Wells in the pen. 

Prefer to move Irvin.  

I don't think Suarez is going to have a 0.00 ERA forever either but I want to ride this wave for as long as we can.

• Upvote 1

Well rhat answers that. Means is getting another opportunity for a tune up in Norfolk Sunday so he won't be pitching vs the Yankees. I think that is the correct decision. He needs to start in MLB against a non division opponent, preferably a team that is no better than average in the league. Then we will see what we have in John Means for 2024 at the Major League level.