Some Absurd Trade Ideas from the Reds Forums

1 hour ago, Filmstudy said:

Remember, this is not me suggesting these...

I'd do the following:

Tier One: Superstar for Superstar
Prospects Division: Rhett Lowder for Jackson Holliday
Big-time trades take big-time... guts. Lowder's been nails, while Holliday struggled greatly in his first cup of coffee. That said, he's absolutely loaded with talent. This would be a case of trying to strike while the iron was hot and would likely take a second prospect as well. (I'm guessing Edwin Arroyo might do it, though he might not.) Still, Holliday is the only reason I'd consider moving EDLC to another defensive spot-- likely 3B, with Marte moving to RF when he comes off the suspended list. Unlikely? Of, for sure. Impossible? Probably. But that's what it'd take to get me to part with Lowder at this point.

Tier Two: Division One Starters
Andrew Abbott or Graham Ashcraft for Ryan Mountcastle, Heston Kjerstad or Coby Mayo (AAA)
Mayo's killing it in AAA and has all the attributes CES had last year. Kjerstad just has "it"-- it seems like he's a tough out I hated to see up to the plate this weekend. Both will be better. Abbott or Ashcraft makes some sense, then, as a partner. It'd hurt short-term to see one of them go. Long-term? The Reds probably win that trade.

Tier Three: Division Two Starters
Brandon Williamson for Ryan Mountcastle
Mountcastle is a solidly average OF currently playing above his pay grade. Speaking of, he's going to get expensive relatively soon. I'd guess Baltimore might be inclined to get more playing time for its other players at the expense of a relative spare part. Mountcastle is that. For the Reds, he'd be a fine LF/ DH/ 1B option and a RH hitter.

Tier Four: Maybe for Maybe
Chase Petty or Connor Phillip for Sam Basallo
Petty and Phillips have been major disappointments. I'd consider just about any Red pitching prospect aside from Lowder at this point. Basallo is a 19-year-old holding his own as a catcher in AA. It'd likely take both Petty and Noelvi Marte to make that deal happen, but I'd do it gladly.

JAG for JAG
Lucas Sims, et al, for Ryan McKenna
Relievers are fungible, and Baltimore might well need more as the season wears on. Dealing for McKenna strengthens the Red bench. (I loathe Bubba.)

I hope the Orioles would hang up the phone laughing at any of these proposals.

Link for this so I can see the comments on their side. 

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Would you consider trading Santander this year seeing as he is a FA after this season?

Yea but for a piece that helps now.  I don’t think I trade him for a prospect package unless it’s some kind of high end pitching prospect that should be ML ready at some point this year or especially next year.

That said, I don’t think that pitcher will be available for Santander, so getting something that helps now for him is something we absolutely should be looking to do.

I would rather see Hays get back here, show he’s healthy and start performing and then move him though.  Santander has some leadership stuff you like.

Edited by Sports Guy

2 hours ago, Filmstudy said:

JAG for JAG
Relievers are fungible, and Baltimore might well need more as the season wears on. Dealing for McKenna strengthens the Red bench. (I loathe Bubba.)

I agree with the bolded part

Every team had the option to pick up McKenna - and all of them passed.  He will be DFA'd soon when Hays returns and as expected, all teams will pass on him again.

If the Orioles can actually trade him and get more than cash considerations, I'd be shocked.

2 hours ago, Filmstudy said:

Remember, this is not me suggesting these...

I'd do the following:

Tier One: Superstar for Superstar
Prospects Division: Rhett Lowder for Jackson Holliday
Big-time trades take big-time... guts. Lowder's been nails, while Holliday struggled greatly in his first cup of coffee. That said, he's absolutely loaded with talent. This would be a case of trying to strike while the iron was hot and would likely take a second prospect as well. (I'm guessing Edwin Arroyo might do it, though he might not.) Still, Holliday is the only reason I'd consider moving EDLC to another defensive spot-- likely 3B, with Marte moving to RF when he comes off the suspended list. Unlikely? Of, for sure. Impossible? Probably. But that's what it'd take to get me to part with Lowder at this point.

Tier Two: Division One Starters
Andrew Abbott or Graham Ashcraft for Ryan Mountcastle, Heston Kjerstad or Coby Mayo (AAA)
Mayo's killing it in AAA and has all the attributes CES had last year. Kjerstad just has "it"-- it seems like he's a tough out I hated to see up to the plate this weekend. Both will be better. Abbott or Ashcraft makes some sense, then, as a partner. It'd hurt short-term to see one of them go. Long-term? The Reds probably win that trade.

Tier Three: Division Two Starters
Brandon Williamson for Ryan Mountcastle
Mountcastle is a solidly average OF currently playing above his pay grade. Speaking of, he's going to get expensive relatively soon. I'd guess Baltimore might be inclined to get more playing time for its other players at the expense of a relative spare part. Mountcastle is that. For the Reds, he'd be a fine LF/ DH/ 1B option and a RH hitter.

Tier Four: Maybe for Maybe
Chase Petty or Connor Phillip for Sam Basallo
Petty and Phillips have been major disappointments. I'd consider just about any Red pitching prospect aside from Lowder at this point. Basallo is a 19-year-old holding his own as a catcher in AA. It'd likely take both Petty and Noelvi Marte to make that deal happen, but I'd do it gladly.

JAG for JAG

With all due respect, those four "tier" ideas of yours are so laughably nuts, those "tiers"brought me to "tears" laughing at them.I have to assume you are joking.

6 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

With all due respect, those four "tier" ideas of yours are so laughably nuts, those "tiers"brought me to "tears" laughing at them.I have to assume you are joking.

They aren’t his ideas..they are ideas from Reds fans.

2 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I was actually just watching last nights replay and thought about this. They need outfielders so this would be good place to dump McKenna, Hays, or Stowers for pitching. They are desperate. 

Didn’t they have the opportunity to claim McKenna a few weeks ago? 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, baltimoriole said:

Cincy looked like the worst team the Orioles have played all year. Then again Brewers fans probably say the Orioles are the worst team they’ve seen all year.

If ANYONE says the that the 2024 Orioles are "worst" they literally know less than ZERO about baseball and their opinion should be immediately discarded here  🗑

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Roy Firestone said:

It's literally the first sentence of the post Roy. Let alone the thread title says it's from the Reds forums. Come on.

Edited by interloper
  • Haha 1

If last winter's Dylan Cease saga taught me anything, it's that even well-informed fans of other teams aren't likely to be as familiar with Orioles prospects as we are.  By the same token, the Burnes trade showed that reasonable valuations are possible if you have patience.  Remember that a large number of posters here were willing to let go of Mountcastle and/or Hjerstad then.  I still am, it's just a question of the deal and the timing, and it's still a little early for me.

4 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Reds have a lot of young prospects that are not ready. Good way to restart the clock on some of our older outfielders that are not going to contribute.

Would like a trade of Norby or Stowers for some young pitching talent.