Some Absurd Trade Ideas from the Reds Forums

32 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Would like a trade of Norby or Stowers for some young pitching talent.

Any idea of what the pitching talent equivalent of Norby or Stowers would be?

3 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

With all due respect, those four "tier" ideas of yours are so laughably nuts, those "tiers"brought me to "tears" laughing at them.I have to assume you are joking.

Just to be clear, it's "tiers of theirs" (from the Reds Forums) and not "tiers of yours" (as in mine), since Reds fans are unlikely to see these.

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

This is the solution.  Mountcastle to LF.  Holliday to CF.  Mayo to 1B. 🤣

I can't see a reason why Mayo should play 1B when he can be the backup C and Rutschman can play CF on his days off.

2 hours ago, Filmstudy said:

I can't see a reason why Mayo should play 1B when he can be the backup C and Rutschman can play CF on his days off.

And Mateo could be our solution to bullpen depth.

3 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

And Mateo could be our solution to bullpen depth.

True dat.  We've seen his arm.

Are we just going to sit on all these great ideas or is one of you going to put together a slide deck to send to Mike, Sig, and Brandon?

4 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Would like a trade of Norby or Stowers for some young pitching talent.

I think it's more likely they get traded for a rental or someone who is a free agent after next season.  Teams that want prospects, even near major league ready ones, generally are rebuilding and not interested in trading away young pitching. 

Though maybe a team like the Yankees, a contending team that needs more offense, would be willing to trade young pitching for some bats.  Gleyber Torres is underperforming at 2B, so maybe they'd be willing to trade a couple pitchers in the 11-20 range on their prospect list for Connor Norby.  Can't see the O's and Yankees trading good prospects to each other in general, but there could be a match with Norby if the O's and Yanks were willing to trade.  Of course the Yanks would probably rather trade better prospects for Jordan Westburg, but the O's won't be doing that.  

Then there is the curious example of the Oakland A's.  They are barely contenders for a playoff spot, but they are in there.  For this reason they may interested in buying and selling -- selling one or two of their good MLB level relievers for a Stowers or Norby.  They may not want Mayo or Kjerstad because they'd cost too much in a season in which they are actually competing in a relatively weak AL West.  But who would they be willing to let go of and still remain competitive?  I have no idea though maybe only someone from the minors that can't help them this season.  Bu there is the chance the team just sells and punts on the season.  If so, and if Mason Miller cost too much, the O's could target their other relievers with Stowers.

The Cardinals could be the best trade partner, though if they're selling again this season I'm guessing they'll probably want a premium bat like Kjerstad for Helsey.  If the O's targeted their minor leaguers, then maybe a deal could be made for Norby and/or Stowers.  The Cardinals need offense, period.  

4 hours ago, Yossarian said:

I liked how they would be willing to trade a "disappointment" for Basallo.  

In fairness they mentioned Noelvi Marte as part of the package also.  He was the #21 prospect in baseball before the significant tarnish of his suspension.  Not that I'd do that, but its not quite as outrageous.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

With all due respect, those four "tier" ideas of yours are so laughably nuts, those "tiers"brought me to "tears" laughing at them.I have to assume you are joking.

Roy, man I love you as a sportscaster personality and more importantly as just a genuinely nice person.  

I do.

But this is why I said last week in the thread you made about how the O's would get blown out by the Yankees that you are saying things lately that don't seem to be making much sense and many other posters would be banned by now for the same things.

And don't get me wrong.  I don't want you banned and I hope you keep posting for a long long time.  You are a true O's, albeit very emotional..FAN.

But Roy, read the OP.  He clearly said those trade ideas were from a Red's message board. 2 times I believe.

Cmonnnnnnnn man!

BTW as far as the actual trade ideas?  Laughable.  Not even being a homer.  But just laughable.

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

1 hour ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Roy, man I love you as a sportscaster personality and more importantly as just a genuinely nice person.  

I do.

But this is why I said last week in the thread you made about how the O's would get blown out by the Yankees that you are saying things lately that don't seem to be making much sense and many other posters would be banned by now for the same things.

And don't get me wrong.  I don't want you banned and I hope you keep posting for a long long time.  You are a true O's, albeit very emotional..FAN.

But Roy, read the OP.  He clearly said those trade ideas were from a Red's message board. 2 times I believe.

Cmonnnnnnnn man!

BTW as far as the actual trade ideas?  Laughable.  Not even being a homer.  But just laughable.

So... innocently misreading a post is ban-worthy?

• Upvote 1

So am I reading those suggestions correctly? They think Mountcastle is either worth a Tier One Division One starter... or a Tier 2 Division 2 starter?

I vote for the first 😉