If Coby Mayo Can Play Average ML 3B Defense

RZNJ

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

+54 Rtot for his career, so somewhat above average by that measure.   Among his HOF contemporaries, Mike Schmidt was +129, Wade Boggs was +95.   Personally I would not have said Boggs was better than Brett, but Schmidt certainly was.  

Brooks was +293, if anyone’s wondering.  Beltre second at +168.  Sorry, Adrian.  

Cal is devastated.  

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I guess I don't see Bradfield season this year having any impact on whether you start giving Holliday center field experience. Holliday is a good enough athlete to be able to move back and forth between CF and 2B. Giving him that experience and seeing how he looks only adds to his versatility and opens up potential PAs for Mayo once he's healthy and back hitting like he was.

I’m not talking about CF experience.  I’m talking about making him a permanent CF long term.

17 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

George Brett won three Gold Gloves.

He won only one, in 1985, at third. In 1985, he was baseball savant’s 16th ranked in “Advanced Fielding” and, using Rtot/yr, he was 52nd at 1, and by Rtot he was 37th. 

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Thanks for the kinds words about the site and the community. Saying that, I don't ever want to "shame" active members for not subscribing to the site. I never know anyone's financial situation and as long as they are not using an ad blocker, they are supporting the site by adding to the conversation. 

Everyone will always be welcome to be part of our community as long as they follow the rules, regardless of their ability or desire to subscribe.

Saying that, I appreciate all of our plus members for the support and for keeping this place the best Orioles community on the internet!

I wasn’t trying to shame anyone, and I don’t think @Satyr3206took it that way. If he did, I apologize.I got one or two of the same notes before I signed up.

I distinctly remember a post you made about the future of the site being a bit precarious, and that’s when I joined. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think it’s desperate at all.   Having more options is always a good thing, and we know the O’s value defensive versatility.  I can think of many SS types who ended up in CF.   Jackson Merrill, who was a top 10-20 prospect as a SS coming into this season, is now the starting CF for the Padres and a good candidate for NL ROY.   Trea Turner played mostly CF for the Nats in 2016 after his call-up, despite having played SS almost exclusively in the minors.  Robin Yount was moved from SS to CF.  So, I see no harm in experimenting with this.  For now though, this is just a rumor so far as I’m concerned.  

I use the term desperate because nothing has changed significantly since the off season. If they wanted more flexibility then this should have been discussed and put into play during the off season and ST. Now, maybe it was and we just didn’t hear about it. But this doesn’t seem like a move that you make with the #1 prospect and a guy that you already thought was big league ready at one point. Maybe desperate isn’t the right word but it’s close. 

1 minute ago, MCO'sFan said:

I use the term desperate because nothing has changed significantly since the off season. If they wanted more flexibility then this should have been discussed and put into play during the off season and ST. Now, maybe it was and we just didn’t hear about it. But this doesn’t seem like a move that you make with the #1 prospect and a guy that you already thought was big league ready at one point. Maybe desperate isn’t the right word but it’s close. 

It’s just panic. If Holliday came out and hit well, to go along with the defense looking good, people would laugh at this idea.

But since he struggled, people are finding ways to push him down.  I would guess we look back at this idea and kind of laugh at it.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

Well, I think some things have changed since spring training, mostly for the good.  Westburg looks like an infield fixture.  Mateo has been surprisingly solid.   On the other hand, Mullins, Hays and Santander are all scuffling a bit.  So maybe there’s more opportunity in the outfield than it appeared over the winter, and less opportunity in the infield.   When Holiday returns he’ll be a priority play, but if you can play him in multiple spots, so much the better.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MCO'sFan said:

Sounds very much like a rumor but interesting none the less. I'm skeptical though. Seems odd that the O's would pile a position change onto a player that they want to get right offensively before promoting him to the bigs. Maybe this is the plan for the off season? Why would they do this? Not confident in Bradfield? Want to make room for Norby? Fed up with Ced? I am not convinced. 

I like Mateo to CF to replace Mullins in 2025.  Keep Holliday at 2B.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s just panic. If Holliday came out and hit well, to go along with the defense looking good, people would laugh at this idea.

But since he struggled, people are finding ways to push him down.  I would guess we look back at this idea and kind of laugh at it.

People are finding ways to push him down by saying he could be our future CF and Mayo, maybe could be the 3B?   LOL

If anyone is taking this personal it’s you who insisted he’s the future SS because he was drafted 1:1 as a SS.   Some folks here already have him penciled into the HOF.   

5 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I like Mateo to CF to replace Mullins in 2025.  Keep Holliday at 2B.

Mateo as the regular CF?    That plan has no chance of falling.   😆

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t really follow this.  The O’s are looking to put their best lineup on the field, and to have flexibility.   If the choice is Mayo at 3B with Holliday in CF (Westburg at 2B) vs. Mayo in RF and Holliday at 2B (Westburg at 3B), I might well think that the Holliday in CF alignment is better.  He’s more athletic and faster than Mayo and probably could adapt more quickly.   I’m not wedded to this, but don’t mind trying it out.  And it’s certainly not because I’m down on Holliday.  

Edited by Frobby

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t really follow this.  The O’s are looking to put their best lineup on the field, and to have flexibility.   If the choice is Mayo at 3B with Holliday in CF (Westburg at 2B) vs. Mayo in RF and Holliday at 2B (Westburg at 3B), I might well think that the Holliday in CF alignment is better.  He’s more athletic and faster than Mayo and probably could adapt more quickly.   I’m not wedded to this, but don’t mind trying it out.  And it’s certainly not because I’m down on Holliday.  

You may not be but it’s an overhauling thought throughout Os social media land.

Why aren’t people saying to put Gunnar out there?  He’s fast. He’s got a great arm. Why not Westburg? Why not make Mateo an everyday CFer?

The reason is because we have seen those guys thrive in other positions and a bad first stint (although OAA liked Holliday) jaded people and now they are looking for alternatives. 

This 100% isn’t a conversation if he was up here hitting well and playing good defense in the IF. It’s all reactionary. 

Note: people who have brought this up prior to Holliday being up are not who I am talking about here.

Edited by Sports Guy

45 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, I think some things have changed since spring training, mostly for the good.  Westburg looks like an infield fixture.  Mateo has been surprisingly solid.   On the other hand, Mullins, Hays and Santander are all scuffling a bit.  So maybe there’s more opportunity in the outfield than it appeared over the winter, and less opportunity in the infield.   When Holiday returns he’ll be a priority play, but if you can play him in multiple spots, so much the better.  

Frobby, if you're going to make well thought out points verly clear and concisely, then I just give up. 😂