Stowers is back to Orioles, Kjerstad optioned

eddie83

Just now, interloper said:

He's prettyyyyy Jay Gibbons-y out there, unfortunately. 

I think another team would have no issue with him at 1B, it just seems between Mounty and O'Hearn there isn't time for him there with the O's.

16 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I don’t see a world in which Kjerstad, Mayo, and Holliday all co-exist on the Orioles roster unless they plan on getting rid of O’Hearn, which doesn’t seem wise as he is one of the best hitters on the team.

We currently have three position spots taken up by Santa, Stowers, and Urias. Mayo, Kjerstad, and Holliday replace those three. We have so much position flexibility that it works. Heck, we’ll have to see what happens with Hays and Mullins as well. 

Our OF is way more of a weakness than our bullpen right now.  Hays, Mullins, and Santa, aren’t exactly lighting it up. Cowser is in a slump too. The C/IF spots have been carrying this lineup. 

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We currently have three position spots taken up by Santa, Stowers, and Urias.

I'm at the end of my rope with Urias. He just isn't what he was in 2022, or even in 2023. That error yesterday (which is amongst several defensive mistakes this season) has really disillusioned me with him.

17 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I think it's getting more likely we see Mayo as a Santander replacement next year with Kjerstad getting traded for pitching help when trade season heats up.

I’ve been for this since the off season.  How many games has he played in the outfield for Norfolk?  Zero.  It’s like when Duquette was forcing Mountcastle to play 3B.

15 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I'm at the end of my rope with Urias. He just isn't what he was in 2022, or even in 2023. That error yesterday (which is amongst several defensive mistakes this season) has really disillusioned me with him.

It's crazy what playing once a week can do to players.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

He only has 10 more ABs than Hays. 55 vs. 45. Hays missed 3 entire weeks. 

Gunnar has nearly 3 times as many ABs, as a comparison. 

Edited by interloper

31 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We currently have three position spots taken up by Santa, Stowers, and Urias. Mayo, Kjerstad, and Holliday replace those three. We have so much position flexibility that it works. Heck, we’ll have to see what happens with Hays and Mullins as well. 

Our OF is way more of a weakness than our bullpen right now.  Hays, Mullins, and Santa, aren’t exactly lighting it up. Cowser is in a slump too. The C/IF spots have been carrying this lineup. 

Stowers and Urias are the last position players on the team. They are bench guys who rarely (in Stowers case will rarely play line Kjerstad). That is not where Mayo and Holliday will be (on the bench). When they come up and it will be to play every day (especially next season).

7 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

None of this matters if these guys don’t get a chance to play 

Agreed. I've wanted Stowers up here since Day 1. He's a really solid all around player. It won't happen but if he was given a chance I think you'd see you don't lose much defensively and he's a huge upgrade over Mullins right now at the plate. Mullins is lost out there.

Why bring up guys who will just ride the bench? Give them a chance to play regularly like they did with Holliday. They sure didn't give Kierstad a fair chance and they won't with Stowers either unfortunately. 

2 hours ago, TopGunnar said:

I’m not going to question Elias but I dont understand not giving Kjersted more of a chance.  Kjersted and Norby have to be 1 and 2 on the trade bait power rankings. 

I think the O’s are trying to balance (1) winning, (2) giving guys major league opportunities and exposure, and (3) getting them regular playing time in the minors that’s not available in the majors.  In other words, giving Kjerstad 17 major league PA in 19 days won’t cause him to accrue too much rust, but 34 PA in 38 days would.   So, cycle him down and let him get back in rhythm, and give Stowers (who’s been playing every day) his three weeks of sporadic major league time.  I’ll add that if Kjerstad had hit more, he would have gotten more than 17 PA.   Yes, it’s tough to hit when playing time is sporadic, but that’s the way the cookie crumbles.  It probably won’t be his last opportunity this year.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’ll add that if Kjerstad had hit more, he would have gotten more than 17 PA.   Yes, it’s tough to hit when playing time is sporadic, but that’s the way the cookie crumbles.  It probably won’t be his last opportunity this year.  

Playing sporadically and pinch hitting is not the way you judge someone's talent at the major league level. They gave Holliday every chance to be an everyday guy and he proved he needs more seasoning. All these guys they bring up should be given the same chance. 

4 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

Playing sporadically and pinch hitting is not the way you judge someone's talent at the major league level. They gave Holliday every chance to be an everyday guy and he proved he needs more seasoning. All these guys they bring up should be given the same chance. 

At whose expense?

4 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

So 34 at bats is "every chance"?

He had 10 games.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So 34 at bats is "every chance"?

He had 10 games.

10 games he started. Right? How many games did Kierstad start before he was sent back down?