Any truth to the Justin Verlander smoke?

Considering nobody here is talking about it that I've noticed, I doubt it's more than a baseless rumor, other than the fact that the Astros are off to a slow start (they'll pick up the pace, they always do).

Did JV really put us on his list of acceptable destinations in his NTC? Is there any way to know that for sure?

His baseball card stats look fine to me, but you gotta be concerned about a pitcher his age and injury history at his cost.

Just now, Sanfran327 said:

Considering nobody here is talking about it that I've noticed, I doubt it's more than a baseless rumor, other than the fact that the Astros are off to a slow start (they'll pick up the pace, they always do).

Did JV really put us on his list of acceptable destinations in his NTC? Is there any way to know that for sure?

His baseball card stats look fine to me, but you gotta be concerned about a pitcher his age and injury history at his cost.

Is he a reliever? Otherwise, we don't have much need for another starting pitcher. He is not the JV of even say 2/3 years ago. He's not any better than any of the starters that we have now and to be honest I would take a few of our starters over him.

Pass for me. We should be spending our trade chips/capital on needs not names.

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Is he a reliever? Otherwise, we don't have much need for another starting pitcher. He is not the JV of even say 2/3 years ago. He's not any better than any of the starters that we have now and to be honest I would take a few of our starters over him.

Pass for me. We should be spending our trade chips/capital on needs not names.

God I hate rhetorical, condescending questions. 

I get what you're saying, but without knowing anything about a potential trade package, it's impossible to assume anything about the value we'd be getting. He's still absolutely better than Kremer and Wells (if we want to keep thinking of him as a starter, which we shouldn't), and arguably better than Irvin unless you think he's destined for a career/outlier season. A rotation of Burnes, Bradish, Irvin, Verlander, and Means is a pretty formidable one, and that doesn't even consider Grayson's pending return. I think ME and Hyde would figure out a way to use all of that talent effectively. But it would be an immediate no for me if they wanted anyone better than Stowers in return.

Agree we need a reliever more than a starter, but adding Kremer and Means to the bullpen could be a nice boost as well.

Finally, to be clear, I'm not advocating for this to happen, but you see a lot of crap on other sites, and I wanted to see if anyone thought this had legs.

14 minutes ago, vab said:

Could he close? - (I'm asking seriously). Long time starters have made the transition in the past, John Smoltz comes to mind. 

I had the same thought. First and foremost, he'd have to have a willingness to give it a try, and I'm not sure he would at his age and with his resume. But I do think he could be good in the role if if gave it a shot.

Only if we are moving starters into the pen. We could easily leave Wells there when he comes back. Irvin has pitched out of there before effectively. I have no idea what would happen if we tried someone like Kremer in the pen. He may suck or he may thrive. 

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

What smoke are we referring to?

The only smoke I see is this article from birdswatcher.com and it's purely speculation. There's nothing there for now and I doubt the Astros have already decided to be sellers despite their bad start. 6.5 games back in May is hardly an insurmountable deficit to overcome. 

https://birdswatcher.com/posts/orioles-rumors-justin-verlander-could-be-premier-trade-deadline-target-for-baltimore-01hxs0f11j69