Jazz Chisolm Trade?

With the Marlins season pretty much shot and Cedric Mullins/Austin Hays providing next to nothing in CF, how about the O's look to acquire Jazz Chisolm?  Guy is still only 26, an electric player and would provide some much needed depth in the O's lineup (team is too top heavy right now and ideally need 1 or 2 MOO bats  to protect the younger players, but that may not happen until next year).   Know he's one of the faces of the Marlin franchise, but may be worth exploring into?

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I see absolutely zero reason to spend resources to acquire positional talent.

100%

use cowser in CF when needed and DEFINITELY won’t be trading prospects for another outfielder 

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I see absolutely zero reason to spend resources to acquire positional talent.

OK.  Let's run Mullins, Urias, Mateo and McCann out there consistently and see how that works out.    We have 3-4 black holes at the bottom of the lineup that need upgrading.  Add the fact Santander isn't hitting either.  Definitely needs upgrading to make a strong playoff push (if they make it in).   Can't have another "Texas" repeat of last year where they got swept (scoring 1 run in 1 game, 2 in another isn't going to cut it).

We still don't know what we are going to get out of Cowser/Stowers-if anything long term (Cowser I have hope for-Stowers not so much).  Hope Elias can make a trade for a bat and AT LEAST 1 or 2 RP's.  Bullpen is shaky at best and cant be trusted.

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, GunnarBomb said:

OK.  Let's run Mullins, Urias, Mateo and McCann out there consistently and see how that works out.    We have 3-4 black holes at the bottom of the lineup that need upgrading.  Add the fact Santander isn't hitting either.  Definitely needs upgrading to make a strong playoff push (if they make it in).   Can't have another "Texas" repeat of last year where they got swept (scoring 1 run in 1 game, 2 in another isn't going to cut it).

We still don't know what we are going to get out of Cowser/Stowers-if anything long term (Cowser I have hope for-Stowers not so much).  Hope Elias can make a trade for a bat and AT LEAST 1 or 2 RP's.  Bullpen is shaky at best and cant be trusted.

I'm not a big Santander fan but his OPS+ is 105, within spitting distance of his career mark.

Not accurate to say he isn't hitting.  Offense as a whole is down.

Side note, I'm expecting juiced balls again next year.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, GunnarBomb said:

Every team runs out guys with subpar offense.

The Os will have Holliday up within a month or so.  

Mayo will be up in a few months.  Kjerstad will be back up.

We only have so much you would be looking to trade and the bullpen is way more important.

Mullins is also showing some signs of being better.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, GunnarBomb said:

With the Marlins season pretty much shot and Cedric Mullins/Austin Hays providing next to nothing in CF, how about the O's look to acquire Jazz Chisolm?  Guy is still only 26, an electric player and would provide some much needed depth in the O's lineup (team is too top heavy right now and ideally need 1 or 2 MOO bats  to protect the younger players, but that may not happen until next year).   Know he's one of the faces of the Marlin franchise, but may be worth exploring into?

Why do our young guys need someone to “protect” them? Gunnar and Adley are already some of the best hitters in the league. 

I think your concept of a MOO hitter may be a little more applicable to previous eras of baseball. In this era, they prefer to hit their best hitters at the top of the lineup to give them the most at bats possible. 

In previous ears Adley would be your #3 hitter and Gunnar your #4. But times have changed.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, GunnarBomb said:

McCann and Urias are back ups.

Our offense is one of the best in the league. We are 6th in the league in runs scored and both teams tied for 4th have out scored us by only 4 runs (and have played more games).

I agree on the bullpen. How could anyone not? We lack a true dominant, shut down/strike out artist.

But the offense is fin IMO. We don’t need more position players blocking the several Major League ready guys at AAA that we have. It’s already too crowded as is.

• Upvote 2

I don't want to trade for a positional player but if we do it should be a right handed bat that is a rental veteran then can play some outfield.   We have a lot of left handed hitters in the outfield already in Mullins, Cowser, Kjerstadt, and Stowers.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

Why do our young guys need someone to “protect” them? Gunnar and Adley are already some of the best hitters in the league. 

I think your concept of a MOO hitter may be a little more applicable to previous eras of baseball. In this era, they prefer to hit their best hitters at the top of the lineup to give them the most at bats possible. 

In previous ears Adley would be your #3 hitter and Gunnar your #4. But times have changed.

Santander.204

Cowser. 235

Mullins. 188

Mateo .236

Urias. 219

McCann .198

Gunnar/Adley will be eventually be pitched around until the others show they can produce.

Other than Cowser, think any of the current first place/top contending teams would run those guys out there consistently?  No guarantees calling up Mayo, Holliday, etc. would be the answer and already have holes in their game at AAA.

Time to spend that new owner money and make a run at it!

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

I don't want to trade for a positional player but if we do it should be a right handed bat that is a rental veteran then can play some outfield.   We have a lot of left handed hitters in the outfield already in Mullins, Cowser, Kjerstadt, and Stowers.  

Mike Trout when he comes back.  He's from NJ and and he'd be close to home.😎

9 minutes ago, GunnarBomb said:

Santander.204

Cowser. 235

Mullins. 188

Mateo .236

Urias. 219

McCann .198

Gunnar/Adley will be eventually be pitched around until the others show they can produce.

Other than Cowser, think any of the current first place/top contending teams would run those guys out there consistently?  No guarantees calling up Mayo, Holliday, etc. would be the answer and already have holes in their game at AAA.

Time to spend that new owner money and make a run at it!

Urias and MCcann are backups and won't see anytime time the playoffs if they are even still on roster which i am not sure they will be.  So only 4 of those guys have 80+ at bats 

If you want to just look at batting averages The Dodgers bottom of the order starters are. 5 guys over 100 ab

Lux .204 147 ab

Pages .234 145 ab

Muncy .223 139 ab

Hernandez .205 117 ab

Outman .147 109 ab

Guardians 6 guys over 100 ab

Freeman .216 171 ab

Brennen .232 151 ab

Rocchio .207 150 ab

Bo Naylor .177 130 ab

Arias .215 107 ab

Florial .173 98 ab

The other contenders are not much different. Here is the list of teams over .500 with guys hitting .235 or lower and at least 100 at bats.

Yankees 3

Guardians 6

Royals 6

Twins 5

Mariners 6

Phillies 3

Braves 1 They have 4 guys in the ..240s though

Brewers 5

Dodgers 5

Giants 4 with 3 guys in .230-.245 range 

Orioles 4 

• Upvote 2