The 2024 Trade Deadline

5 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

This is a crazy, crazy idea, but....what can we get for Holliday? He won't play SS for us. We've got Mayo and Norby as infielders knocking on the door in AAA. Imagine what he could bring back. 

It is a crazy idea. Norby is not in the same class of a talent/player as Holliday.

How many 20 year olds can you name in the last year 10 years that have come to the show and immediately done well? … I‘ll wait…

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

It is a crazy idea. Norby is not in the same class of a talent/player as Holliday.

How many 20 year olds can you name in the last year 10 years that have come to the show and immediately done well? … I‘ll wait…

Julio Rodriguez

Vladimir Guerrero

Mike Trout

I do see your point.  I think trading JH is lunacy.

Edited by Cuellar35

1 hour ago, Jagwar said:

My brother (San Francisco resident and Giants fan) thinks Camilo Doval might be available at the deadline. Definitely having an off year. 

Thoughts?

Doval's numbers are down, but it might be some bad luck mixed in. Good fastball GB% and whiff %. I could see this being a pitcher Elias targets at the trade deadline. 

image.thumb.png.0117b3969a18a6f815ce2d9674e1be02.png

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

This is a crazy, crazy idea, but....what can we get for Holliday? He won't play SS for us. We've got Mayo and Norby as infielders knocking on the door in AAA. Imagine what he could bring back. 

Logan Webb is pretty much where my list starts and ends. 4+ wins 3 years in a row, including 5 wins last year, on pace for a career year this year, and under contract at a reasonable price for 4 more years.  That would be a near perfect comp for the Chris Sale white sox trade.

I'm only entertaining deals for a pitcher, because we still have a position player backlog, and if we end up trading all our position player depth, we can much more reliably go after someone in FA.  Soto would hit the warehouse if he signed here, and we can actually dream about that with Rubenstein as the owner.

Edited by Hallas

1 hour ago, Hallas said:

Logan Webb is pretty much where my list starts and ends. 4+ wins 3 years in a row, including 5 wins last year, on pace for a career year this year, and under contract at a reasonable price for 4 more years.  That would be a near perfect comp for the Chris Sale white sox trade.

I'm only entertaining deals for a pitcher, because we still have a position player backlog, and if we end up trading all our position player depth, we can much more reliably go after someone in FA.  Soto would hit the warehouse if he signed here, and we can actually dream about that with Rubenstein as the owner.

You did not lose me at Holliday for Webb, But Jaun Soto? do you have any idea the cost, but no extension for Adley Or Gunner? And of course the Yankees would let us outbid them.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

You did not lose me at Holliday for Webb, But Jaun Soto? do you have any idea the cost, but no extension for Adley Or Gunner? And of course the Yankees would let us outbid them.

Well, we already have Gunnar for 5 more years and Adley for 4.  So extending them is important but not going to negatively affect 2025.

I'd love to lock them up long term.  We can afford to do that and sign Soto.  That said, I'd only try to sign Soto if we have to trade our entire prospect roster.

I don't know if the Yankees can really afford to break the bank on Soto.  Even their money is finite and theyre already in the 4th tier AND they are paying the 3-year penalty.  They would be paying something crazy like 95 million a year on a 45 million deal.

Edited by Hallas

11 hours ago, ScGO's said:

I have a buddy who thinks Trout to O's is going to happen; just his hunch, but I like discussing it with him.

The return on Trout is going to be a very interesting conversation about money and prospects. Essentially 6 years would be left on his contract at around 35.5 mil annually. With Trout's contract and injury history, I wonder what Elias could negotiate for a fair return

Trout to the Orioles doesn't make much sense but Trout to the Phillies does.  They need outfield help pretty badly and it's his hometown team.  

7 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Trading Holliday could bring back just a number of good players from a number of selling teams.  As an example, if the Padres made Dylan Cease available and they wanted Holliday (though I doubt they would since they have no openings up the middle), the Padres would have to give up more than Cease I think.  It would cost them another player or two.

But trading Holliday is silly.  Much better to trade Stowers, Norby and/or maybe Kjerstad, though I feel Elias will instead try to trade further down the prospect order.  

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Hallas said:

I don't know if the Yankees can really afford to break the bank on Soto.  Even their money is finite and theyre already in the 4th tier AND they are paying the 3-year penalty.  They would be paying something crazy like 95 million a year on a 45 million deal.

If the Yankees sign Soto I'm betting it will be a deal along the lines of Shohei Ohtani's 10-year contract with the Dodgers, where 90% of the money is deferred until after he retires. That would allow NY to keep Soto on the roster w/o breaking the bank right now, and he'd be able to move to a tax haven once the real money starts coming in. 

Edited by ShoelesJoe

8 hours ago, Cuellar35 said:

Julio Rodriguez

Vladimir Guerrero

Mike Trout

I do see your point.  I think trading JH is lunacy.

Trout was more than 10 years ago. But you can add Juan Soto to this very thin list. 

And even if you want to go back say 15 years to include Trout and Harper, the list is still super small and doesn’t include many American born players.

The talk of trading Holiday is extremely silly. Thankfully with the very risk adverse nature of Elias, I’m pretty sure that he would consider it preposterous.

10 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

this isn’t a knock against Holliday but 

Manny Machado, Bryce Harper, Juan Soto, Acuna, Vlad Jr … 

should I keep going